Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stuck Aka
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

After I put that 3 in 1 lubricant spray on it Tueday night and it still wouldn't come free I forgot about it. Then on Wed. afternoon I was getting my sea kayak out (to enjoy the 20 plus mph gusts that would make the 98F degree heat tolerable since water temp is mid 80Fs and that evaporative cooling effect would be happening).
I went over to the AI and pulled the AKA parallel to the hull (collapsed or inboard position) as suggested. I then pressed both latch/release bittons and the AKA slid out with no hesitation at all.
I can see that by pulling the AKA parallel with the hull eliminates any undesireable pressure of the up and down type and I think the oil I sprayed in there the previous night had time to work its way into the sleeve and whatever binding that had been the problem the previous Saturday was reduced and it just pulled out with no friction at all.
I like the parafin suggestion as it would adhere better and last longer.
The slightest bit of pressure in any direction other than level seems to make the release want to bind or simply not release.
It felt hard to press the black buttons in on Saturday and on Wed. they pressed in fully and very easily.
So Ive learned its no big deal. If one is jammed..it will release later.
I'm glad I have a good Thule pick-up truck rack now where lashing the stuck AKA with an 18" bungee is an efficient way to allow transport with no get-in -the way issues as might have been the case if I still had the Kia Rio...with roof rack which would not allow an attached AKA to rest securely aside the boat due to minimum clearences between rack and roof.

I imagine some cooling and heating issues may be at play with these AKAS as well with cool causing some minute contraction and heat causing some minute expansion.
After a natural heating and cooling cycle the amount of contraction/expansion may be just enough on its own to allow an easy release.
I say this because my boathouse storage building is vented but it still gets very hot in there on summer days and then in the morning its cool....
The oil and the heat followed by the cooling may have allowed it to free up.
Thanks all for the helpful advice.

Post subject: Re: Stuck Aka
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If nothing else, at least you've got a nice, tight fitting assembly. A margin for wear that will still have a decent fit over the years.