Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Found the leak
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tonystott wrote:
Why would you even try though? The hull is a write-off with damage like that. I wouldn't want to stake my life on a repair

I don't disagree with you, but I work on and build stuff a lot more complicated than this every day. Plus I have no guarantee that another hull, if offered, would be any better. It might have a defect in another area.

The entire stud could be taken out and another installed from outside the hull. Through-hull fittings can be made extremely watertight.

But, it's just something I'm mulling over for the time being.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tried to title and tag the trailer today. The title shows MSP Holdings as the seller, the receipt shows ACK in TX. The NC DMV said, no, I cannot title or tag it until the names on the title and receipt match. I suspect it's the same company, one a subsidiary of the other or something, but the DMV will not be moved.

Somebody said the sailing gods were trying to tell me something. If I didn't believe it before, I do now.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:07 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hummm?
You know the movie "The Money Pit" :) ?

Well, maybe you could make the sequel just for sailors called "The Boat Pit" :shock: .

No... come to think of it, that's been done too :P .

Oh well, you'll just have to figure some other way out of this dilemma :roll: .

Good Luck :| .

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Had lunch with a buddy yesterday who suggested just boxing it all up and sending it all back for a refund. He said, "You got to sail once, didn't you? Isn't that enough?"

The only time he ever sailed in his life was with another buddy who took him out on a windless day where they were promptly becalmed for several hours several miles from their launch. He doesn't find anything about sailing alluring.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Once you get yours all straitened out, you can cure him of his 'dull' view on sailing. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am 72 years old, I have owned 34 boats, mostly sail, I have been sailing before I was born. Your non sailing buddy got it right. There is no reason for buying a new anything and being confronted with the problems you have faced. Take your buddy out to lunch and thank him.

Tom Kirkman wrote:
Had lunch with a buddy yesterday who suggested just boxing it all up and sending it all back for a refund. He said, "You got to sail once, didn't you? Isn't that enough?"

The only time he ever sailed in his life was with another buddy who took him out on a windless day where they were promptly becalmed for several hours several miles from their launch. He doesn't find anything about sailing alluring.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom Kirkman wrote:

Ah, but they didn't have a Mirage drive. You hear about the odd "lemon" rolling out on an assembly line of perfectly good cars. It sounds like that's what happened here. Go for an exchange, not a refund. These boats pay us back a thousand times over for their occasional peccadillos.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree. The Mirage Drive is what convinced me to buy the AI over other "sailboats."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I went on a 12 mile sail last year, had to make the destination. The first 9 miles were pure Hobie-sailing bliss but then the wind just died. If it wasn't for the mirage drive I'd prolly still be floating out there ...

... tell Hobie you need a Mulligan

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My dealer said it would be okay to plug the leak and keep using the boat until a new hull arrives. With light winds predicted today, I just couldn't resist getting on the water. So...

Original condition:

A little plastic welding:

So, very light winds but after two hours, not a single drop of water in the boat. Not sure how the overall structural integrity of the hull is, but for now, at least I don't have to worry about filling up with water.

Also took the Drift HD170 out and took a short video. Taken on the very lowest resolution and further reduced for Youtube size limits. But it's crystal clear and rather sharp on a large screen TV. I really like this camera. Microphone was mounted on camera, next time I'll move the mic up into the cockpit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvKbPZ3smQ8