Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sling Seat
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The seat bucket in the AI is very low. I expect splash to enter the seat (the AI is a wet ride and that's to be expected in this type boat), but when the seat bucket is below the waterline at rest you get it two ways, above and below. And with the bucket below waterline, it's not just the occasional dousing - you sit in a tub of water all the time.

I know there have been several ideas kicked around here (some of my own, too). Pads and such will get you up out of the water filled tub, but when splashed from above now the scuppers are sealed by the pad and you're back to a water filled tub.

Lately I've been thinking about rigging some sort of sling seat between the gunwales that would keep my butt about an inch or so above the seat bucket bottom, but not impede the ability of water to drain from the seat sling. In other words, the seat sling itself wouldn't hold water and would allow any water that did pass through it and into the molded seat bucket to drain out, at least to the previous level, via the scuppers.

Just an idea. Still have to knock something out.