Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I ordered an Adventure Island Conversion Kit over the weekend. I've had my Mirage Adventure w/ sail kit for about a year, and am excited about this upgrade.

I am curious to hear from people who have already performed the conversion. How long did it take you? I assume the hardest part is drilling the mast hole? Anything else that's tricky?

After reading the instructions online it looks like the tools required are fairly straightforward. It mentions Loctite, but doesn't specify the PN. Is there a preference, or are they all waterproof?

I appreciate whatever tips I can get.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey JonP,

I was going to do the same thing to my adventure until I did some research. My Hobie dealer told me it would be more expensive to upgrade mt Adventure than to just trade it in for an AI. Of course, that factors in some of the installation costs, but it's something to consider. Also, the AI doesn't have the capacity to carry two people. I wanted to sail with a partner, so that was a deal breaker for me. I'm currently trying to sell my Adventure and buy a TI.

-Fleet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've already got mine on order. Its being shipped to my door, so its supposed to take a couple weeks. But I'm chomping at the bit to get it upgraded and get out there. This is going to be fantastic.

With my Mirage Adventure I get out on about 15 mile round trip one-afternoon journeys along the coast. That's probably about 6 hours on the water. Sometimes I beach it for lunch, but usually I just pack a sandwich and a mt dew and eat while I'm paddling/sailing.

I'm curious what my range will be with the larger sails of the conversion kit.

I'm hoping to do a crossing from Oxnard to Anacapa. I tried it once with my Adventure, but it was a rough day. Swells were about 5 ft, and I got intimidated about 3 miles out and turned around. I'm sure there's experts on here who will say that's easy stuff, but it was a bit much for me. I will definitely try again with my AI, but hopefully on a calmer day.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good you quit the Oxnard to Anacapa Island trip in your Adventure. Go with your Adventure Island. It may be a challenging trip, but doable. Be sure to take all your safety equipment--besides a PFD, hand-pump, and water for a couple days, include a VHF radio or 2 and a SPOT or personal EPIRB. There is a good thread on testing the Adventure for leaks: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=46579

Good luck.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon