Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If weather looks decent this Friday, thinking about taking my new TI out to the west coast for the day. I know there's a non-powered boat launch area along Causeway Blvd, heading over to Honeymoon Island. Wondering how it was for a launch site if anyone is familiar with it. How far off the shoreline before you hit water deep enough to drop the rudder and pedals?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Best place I've ever found to take an AI/TI. Quite a few shallow areas so watch out during low tide. I usually launch just past where the cats are on the south side.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Jim...I found that out myself yesterday. Had a fun day over on the west coast. I launched at the same place, just south of the other cats. I love the fact that I can launch on the beach and leave my truck right there. Good thing I did, by the time I got back, there were not too many spaces left along the beach.

I had pretty decent winds yesterday, so it was a good time out. I found one of those shallow areas right off the tip of that small island to the left of the channel. I pulled the drive, rudder and centerboard and let the wind push me over the top.

I think I'll stick to weekdays for that site. I imagine the weekends are pretty slammed.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This time of year (Spring Break) is always the busiest time out there. Good to get there early. But yeah ... weekdays are best. It's beautiful to sail around Honeymoon island or you can also circle Calidisi / Clearwater Beach in the Gulf and intercostal. Good stuff.

I like your TI. A Papaya TI is on my radar when I can scrape up some money.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I agree with Jim dboddy, that is a nice looking boat, now all you have to do is, since you're in the same area as Jim is meet up with him and get him to show you how to trick your rig up the same as his. :wink: I'm sure he can add at least another 30% to the enjoyment you'll get from your TI. You have a few innovative AI/TI owners in the vicinity...I wish I lived a few miles closer, your weather beats ours as well!
Cheers VIntagereplica
If it works ok...modify it anyway!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Oh...trust me...I'm a mod type of guy. This was only my third time out.
Been mostly working on the trailer side of things, getting it the way I want. Of course I spend a fair amount of time here looking at the work many of you have done. There are some very inventive individuals on this forum. As a retired guy, I spend a lot of time in my garage looking at my TI and thinking...what if I....?

I also like testing and reviewing new gear. I shot some video on Friday with my new Sony Action Cam (that's where the still came from). Once I spend more time with it, I'll post up my thoughts. My initial reaction is excellent video quality with a somewhat lacking menu system. However, with a price $100 less than the competitors, might be a contender.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Look forward to some of your videos dboddy. Glad to see you are retired (like self) and at least have a shed to ponder..."now what if I..."
Sounds like my...If it works ok...modify it anyway motto might well become your own eh? :wink:
Cheers Ian