Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I get mine from a woodworking supply store. They often use it for making jigs and set up devices.

There is another option as well, and you'll find it quite strong, although I can't vouch for all makers using the same stuff - plastic cutting boards.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You can order some on line at Lee Valley stores. Here is the link. I guess 1/4 inch thick would do the job. 8)

http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware/pa ... 3576,32045

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Lomcevak wrote:
You can order some on line at Lee Valley stores. Here is the link. I guess 1/4 inch thick would do the job. 8)

http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware/pa ... 3576,32045

Thanks Richard. How are the hakas coming along?

President - Gulf Coast Kayak Fishing Association

Like us on Facebook!

Check out my PA12 mods HERE

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

They are finished. Just have to fit and cut the front groove for the akas and fix the abs half pipe with carpet inside, when i get the ship ;0). I will try to post pics soon. I will start to work on a PVC cart now. My trailer is almost finished also 8)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here are the measurements you asked for. While not critical and you could certainly knock out something equally effective on your own, I know this one works. The rubber I used is about 7 or 8mm thick (1/4 inch or so). It’s reinforced with fiber belting. Get yourself some very sharp and stout punches - this stuff is incredibly tough.

The oblong holes allow the double length of cord to pass through, one above the other, without requiring the opening to be so large that the knot would easily pull through.

A word on bungee or shock cord - it comes in different tension strengths. the el cheapo stuff is generally a lot more “stretchy” diameter for diameter, and thererfore requires that it be stretched a lot more in order to generate much tension. This greatly taxes the cord and it weakens more quickly than the better, stronger stuff.

If you’ll buy the good stuff, 1/4 inch diameter (7mm) that is very difficult to stretch, you’ll find that you don’t need to stretch it more than just a little to hook the yoke on the Ama pin and even without much stretch the shock cord will hold the Ama securely, without bounce, in some pretty darn rough water. I think I cut my sections 16 inches long and knotted them as close to the ends as possible. I only have to stretch them about 1-1/4 inches to hook them on the Ama so there’s not much tension on anything yet they don’t allow the Amas in any conditions I've been in so far. I can push them down with my hand, but so far, no jostling on the water has caused them to move at all.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Tom, very nice picture and explanations. Thanks very much for your time and help on this.

Richard
:D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Tom for the measurement and pictures. i can't get to this for a few weeks but it is now on my to do list and you've made it easy.
T2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the measurements and great idea! Now at the the risk of sounding not too bright, where do I buy the heavy duty truck tire sidewall rubber material? I searched online and found a lot for sale but mostly in bulk with no thickness measurement. My next guess would be to visit a tire place and beg them to buy a used tire. Hobie should offer this with all royalties going to you!

Thanks, Randy

"When the going gets tough, the tough drink tea." Jon Turk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Most places will give you a used tire if you ask. Or check your local city dump. Get a tire rated at least for class C or better and you should get the thickness as shown here.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Tom! Guess I'll go "kick some tires" and see what I come up with!

"When the going gets tough, the tough drink tea." Jon Turk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I watched Tom's video several times before I was like "yep Im going to do it." I had enough of the bungee's either coming loose after I retied them to get the slack out, or they just droop after using some cheap bungee material. I seen where people created double loops, but I wanted it solved where I didnt have to see those bungees ever again.
So I fired up the CAD software and drew up this. Then printed it in PETG.
Just need to add the stainless hardware and its complete. Thanks for the idea Tim.

This has been a great forum to go through. Thank you all for sharing your ideas and creations.
Jeremy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

JStand wrote:
I watched Tom's video several times before I was like "yep Im going to do it." I had enough of the bungee's either coming loose after I retied them to get the slack out, or they just droop after using some cheap bungee material. I seen where people created double loops, but I wanted it solved where I didnt have to see those bungees ever again.
Jeremy

Jeremy, I'm really curious to see your pictures, but they didn't come thru on the forum. Can you try to re-post?

Also, would you consider selling the printed parts?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Im not sure why the pictures didnt show up, but I posted up the pictures in the Facebook Hobie Island group and I had people also requesting them. I didnt know the best way to try to sell them so I leaned on Ebay for security reasons. Everyone seems well protected through their portal. If you are interested in buying a set of these, here is the link.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/284483601183

You can also type in Ama bracket and it will probably pop up on a search. Ive kept in touch with everyone who has a set of them to find out how well they are working for them, and if there are any design change request. I offered a lifetime guarantee on them, so if you ever manage to break one, just send it back along with what happen or the conditions and Ill replace it no problem. I just want to make a great product to fit a need, which originally started out with my frustration of shot out bungees and knots that came undone.