Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: All She will do...
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Perfect sailing conditions today - 15 to 25 steady winds with gusts to 35 MPH. I sailed for 4 hours and occasionally touched 17 to 18 MPH. I can't do any more with the TI. Maybe someone else can but no matter how much more wind or how powerful the gusts, any more than this and she just rounded up or broached. Perhaps that was my fault. With only one person on board she was fast but tricky to handle. I don't see how this boat can go any faster, unless perhaps I had a passenger to get out on some tramps and keep her flat. But surely the extra weight would bring the speed down some.

I kept the sail fully out, never furled it an inch. I should have tried furling just a tad but was having too much fun being right on the edge. Water was 48 degrees, which proved invigorating every time a bucket full landed in my crotch.

Still plenty exciting - I kept it up for 4 hours. Only two other boats on the water today, one a Hunter 14 and a HobieCat 16. Both capsized shortly after launching. One turned turtle and had to be rescued, although the skipper is known to be quite a good sailer. Just some very powerful gusts today.

The Hobie Islands are very fun and very forgiving, especially for a sailing hack like me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-pd0Ojo ... e=youtu.be

Post subject: Re: All She will do...
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No furling of the sail... up to 18 mph. Looks fun to me!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Now that looks fast!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow! all that wind and hardly any waves. We hardly ever see that here.

Fun sail!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Same here Bob. Same wind down here on the lake today but the waves were enormous. No way could you have gone as fast but the fun factor was still right up there.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Not many power boats were out so the boat could go fast without bouncing and bucking around on a rough surface. I even thought how great it would have been to have had a Tri-Foiler on the water yesterday.

One interesting thing I noted about the TI when the wind is enough to overpower the sail, is that with the wind coming onto the port side, the boat will round up and turn into the wind. But with the wind coming onto the starboard size, the boat will round down and turn off the wind. I suspect this because when the boat is heeling hard to port, a portion of the centerboard is out of the water do there is less resistance to keep the same wind from pushing the boat itself in that direction.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Awesome! The opening scene threw me for a second, then the action started! If Hobie ever does a commercial for the hardcore Island sailor, this clip should be in it!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

G'day Kayaking Bob;
Just out of interest, with all the surf you blokes in Hawaii have to contend with, do you have a wave deflector/surfing duck-bill on you ship like Mattcoburn here in Australia has?
Cheers Vintagereplica
If it works ok...modify it anyway!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Vintagereplica wrote:
G'day Kayaking Bob;
Just out of interest, with all the surf you blokes in Hawaii have to contend with, do you have a wave deflector/surfing duck-bill on you ship like Mattcoburn here in Australia has?
Cheers Vintagereplica
If it works ok...modify it anyway!
Nope,no surf nose-piece yet, but we hear Hobie is working on one.

If you can adjust your angle to the waves to about 45 degrees, both upwind and down you will only occasionally need one. Of course this doesn't work as well if you are trying to get to a specific point fast, or hold a specific course, like in a race, trolling or long distance travel. But for us just sailing around, it works well enough.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:27 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Tom Kirkman wrote:
Perfect sailing conditions today - 15 to 25 steady winds with gusts to 35 MPH. I sailed for 4 hours and occasionally touched 17 to 18 MPH. I can't do any more with the TI. Maybe someone else can but no matter how much more wind or how powerful the gusts, any more than this and she just rounded up or broached. Perhaps that was my fault. With only one person on board she was fast but tricky to handle. I don't see how this boat can go any faster, unless perhaps I had a passenger to get out on some tramps and keep her flat. But surely the extra weight would bring the speed down some.

I kept the sail fully out, never furled it an inch. I should have tried furling just a tad but was having too much fun being right on the edge. Water was 48 degrees, which proved invigorating every time a bucket full landed in my crotch.

Still plenty exciting - I kept it up for 4 hours. Only two other boats on the water today, one a Hunter 14 and a HobieCat 16. Both capsized shortly after launching. One turned turtle and had to be rescued, although the skipper is known to be quite a good sailer. Just some very powerful gusts today.

The Hobie Islands are very fun and very forgiving, especially for a sailing hack like me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-pd0Ojo ... e=youtu.be

nice and quick but I reckon if you hiked out on tramps you could hit 20m/h :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Don't know. If I was out on tramps, she'd be flatter, thus the sail would catch more air, which would exacerbate the rounding up-down problem. I think.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:44 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Tom Kirkman wrote:
Don't know. If I was out on tramps, she'd be flatter, thus the sail would catch more air, which would exacerbate the rounding up-down problem. I think.

just an excuse to go sailing more i reckon