Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Preparing to launch TI after purchasing and setting up a Continental trailer with cradles and a hand winch. I have been advised that the best idea for a location to attach the winch line is to arrange a bridal around the amma supports then through the front handle to the winch hook...

Does anyone do this and have a photo of the setup ? I asm ready to play but not ready to attach the winch retrieval line to the flimsy front handle and cause damage. I have also been told to drill into the hull and attach a ring for this purpose... resisting this as a last possibility.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Unless you are planning winching it up a steep cliff, the bow fitting will be plenty strong enough. I just sddrd sl snap-hook small enough to fit in the bow padeye. The direction of the pull is basically horizontal, ie across the direction of the mounting bolts.

I usually just pull my TI up the trailer by hand, and then clip on the snaphook to secure the bow for travelling (I have rollers mounted mideway between each end of the hull and the cradle nearest that end).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:29 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here is a couple pics of mine. I don't have the handle attached to the hook when winching on and there is a loop in the end of the red line in the pic that I do attach to the hook just to catch it if the main line breaks. I used 1/8" Dyneema with a breaking strength of 2500# initially but always worried about it breaking because it is so thin. I switched to 3/16th Dyneema with a breaking strength of 6,050# which is way overkill but no longer worry about it breaking. I also took the time to use splices instead of knots like I did the first time around.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

tonystott wrote:
Unless you are planning winching it up a steep cliff, the bow fitting will be plenty strong enough. I just sddrd sl snap-hook small enough to fit in the bow padeye. The direction of the pull is basically horizontal, ie across the direction of the mounting bolts.

I've been rigging a bridle across the front aka cross member and running it to the winch, but it would be so much easier to use a hook to the bow padeye. Is it really strong enough with just two screws into plastic? Is there some sort of backing plate molded in there that I can't see?

I am an older (and lazy) guy, so hauling it up the trailer by hand is more than I want to do after a long day on the water. Oh and adding a second handle to the front padeye is a huge help when beaching.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

(back of napkin calculations)
A Overall weight of TI with junk, say 250#
B Percentasge of weight borne by the cradles/water as it slides onto the cradles, say 200#
C Friction caused by the cradles, say 50#

Horizontal force required from winch or arm
A-B+C = 100#

Note that even if you hung a TI by its nose down a hypothetical cliff by the bow, the maximum load could not exceed A or 250#

A maximum of around 100# feels about right when I drag the TI onto the trailer. Maximum load is when I pull the TI the last 3-4 feet onto the trailer, as by then there is little weight still afloat, and friction from both cradles is at its maximum. As a 69 year old with heart problems and a back awaiting surgery, I hardly ever feel the need to use the winch to load the TI....

I don't really have any qualms about applying a >horizontal< load on the bow fitting, which I suspect is not simply secured by a couple of screws into the plastic, but bolts going into metal threads molded into the hull during creation. (Matt might like to comment on how that bow padeye is secured to the hull)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

BirdofPrey wrote:
Is it really strong enough with just two screws into plastic? Is there some sort of backing plate molded in there that I can't see?

Yes there is, and Tony is right. If you undo the padeye screws you will see they have metal threads that screw into a molded in brass fitting.
Hobie have previously warned against using this as a winch mounting point though, so using the cross bar as a mounting point when winching is a good idea.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Do you secure the winch line over the bow handle when not in use?