Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had an accident on skis but think hip was pre-cracked before because I was hurting really bad before accident. I was standing on skis stopped and leg dislocated and femoral head just fell off for some odd reason. A few months before ski season I got pinned behind a kick hay baler and 60-80 lb hay bales hitting me in pelvic probably real reason of injury. My leg was slow to grow back with hardware and even after hardware removal. I was non weight bearing of left hip for awhile and at risk for AVN. It felt like my left knee and left ankle partially froze. It was not a real good surgery they left pins hanging out really far and any movement was like my tendon was hung up on hardware which really hurt. I would have preferred flush mounted screws more modern style surgery option for this injury but I am in small rural town.

When finally getting the okay to self rehab I worked out my entire body and riding bike 10-30 miles a day. I have come a long ways but still could not walk upstairs or downstairs well. I tried everything in building enough strength to get back to at least a semi active lifestyle of mountain biking, skiing, atving and backpacking. I trained myself on football stadium bleachers and stairs of various sizes in step heights but nothing seemed to really get me back to a level I was happy with accepting.

It wasn't until I used the mirage drive for rehab that I was able to safely walk up and down stairs again. It seems that mirage drive targeting different muscle groups in my entire leg than anything I tried before. It helped free up my knee and ankle more than riding bike and all my other training. I even got season pass for skiing this past season. My skiing was still semi aggressive and I can't go as long as I used to all day but I can still crank it up on sticks for at least a few solid hours of charging crud, soup, slop and a little powder. After regular use of mirage drive after a month I noticed I was not even thinking about walking up and down steps anymore!!!!!! Before use of mirage drive I was scared and steps required a lot more concentration. I am happy spring and better weather is coming again because I feel my leg could use some more mirage drive. The mirage drive has become one of my favorite rehab workouts that gains me positive results.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Think I'll submit new AI to health insurance. Maybe they'll pay for it! 'course my AI has always been a source of mental relaxation and stress reduction!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:32 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Kingquad7686 wrote:
.....It wasn't until I used the mirage drive for rehab that I was able to safely walk up and down stairs again. It seems that mirage drive targeting different muscle groups in my entire leg than anything I tried before. It helped free up my knee and ankle more than riding bike and all my other training.

Kingquad7686 That is just a great story to tell - really sorry to hear about your severe leg injury though.
I think you should make sure that Hobie management know about this - its probably something they have not thought about too much but your story certainly shows the health benefits of the mirage drive.
Amazing !

Barry