Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yup, Capt'n Chaos is right. Using the evolve motor while sailing let me point higher into the wind and pay attention to the waves. There were some big waves some about 6' or so that smacked into the boat or the boat crested a wave and came crashing down. Motor was at about 80% full throttle to conserve some battery after entering the inlet. At no time did the motor complain. No cavitation, no hiccups, just solid continuous power. It did much better at powering the boat forward than my pedaling could ever have done, not to mention worrying about a fatigue factor. Spitting out seawater often does make pedaling a bit more difficult :lol:

I used to think the Evolve motor was only an accessory to be used when the wind died. However, it can be critical to make it home when wind and surf become dangerously rough. The previous week I had towed 2 sea kayaks one behind the other 7 miles out to where a bay met the Gulf so they could see the bird sanctuary and be able to kayak a reasonable distance of 7 miles back. It was like a train with the AI as the engine. 8)

As a kayak accessory a few long trips that would normally require shuttling, like a 10 mile trip downstream, I now just use the motor to 'drive' me 10 miles upstream where I turn around, remove the motor, and paddle back. All that while towing my wife's Kestrel Kayak who also paddles back.

Very neat little accessory.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ordered the evolve yesterday!

Main purpose is for trolling the reefs in the very early morning on the way out when there is no wind yet and to have some "peace of mind" when going back and fighting the howling offshore winds which tend to kick in around 10 am...

When solo (which is most of the time) intend to install in at the mirage drive slot in the back and control the TI from the front seat.

Questions:

- will the battery fit through the 8" twist and seal hatch?
- how long does it take to recharge the battery?

peace
Serbi

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes. And Hobie just came out with a battery holder that fits in the hatch. 72025007 HOBIE 12v BATTERY HOLDER

It's in the new parts catalog. http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=47167

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:21 pm 
Site Admin

serbi wrote:
Questions:

- will the battery fit through the 8" twist and seal hatch?
- how long does it take to recharge the battery?

The battery will fit through a 8" hatch.

... the new battery holder described above is for a different battery used with fish finders.

Quote:
Battery charge time: When fully discharged, the charge time with the charger supplied is approx. 12 hours.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Does Hobie offer more than one battery size (==charge capacity) for use with the evolve ?

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:18 pm 
Site Admin

No. the Torqeedo 403 battery (the motor system used)... is 320 watts. That's it...

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

a couple of questions about the evolve in a tandem island:

1) is the battery 'mounted' inside the TI, or is it free to move about ?

2) do you require a boat licence in New South Wales (Australia) to use a TI with an evolve ?

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:26 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You can put the battery where ever you want. One option is to put it inside the hull and it does come with quick release straps so you can secure it to a suitable area (scupper tubes or mast supports). The kit comes with the fittings to route cables through the hull so it's all nice a neat. It doesn't weigh much so it doesn't matter about moving around a little bit - it's not like a normal lead acid battery that you need to strap down.

From memory, if you keep under 10 knots in speed while under power, you don't need a boat licence in NSW. Best double check with NSW Roads & maritime.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

yep your right - web site says only powered vessels moving at 10 knots or more require boat licence.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sounds like a smart law , making younger people know and learn how to control a jetski ( I'm sure that's what the law was designed around) before letting them go out a cream into a dock or another boat at 60 mph. Over here ( in Florida) I think if your over 30 you don't need a boat license. Too many old folks and their trying to cull the herd (lol).
Bob

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ocean moves:
As you know I'm big into power sailing and the tri power capability on the adventure boats ( using all the power sources at the same time). Especially around here where we don't get very good wind ten months out of the year. I'm curious what your result would be if you accelerate yor boat to say 3-4 mph with no sail up, lock the throttle then begin sailing. What is the result ( faster or about the same as without the evolve running slowly), and when sailing does the computer adjust the range automatically. I'm very interest in your power readings and wattage used in standard conditions ( ie... Winds 5-7 mph). When I do the same with my hybrid gas setup I can easily maintain 6-8 mph without changing the power settings. I'm curious if you get the same results.
Bob

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Bob,
I've just ordered an evolve v2 with solar assembly for my TI which should be up and running by the new year..... will let you know how I get on

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Bob, I had an evolve on my old Outback with sail. It would go faster under sail with the evolve running and the computer would recalculate the remaining power etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi All,

Just got my Evolve fitted to my TI, together with separate solar panel & connector for charging the battery.
I have front controls (I prefer to sit in the front seat) and evolve fitted to be located in rear drive well.

The instructions state that it includes "covers for all wire connectors" however mine was supplied without
a cover for the evolve motor connector in the rear drive well, leaving an exposed socket on deck, hardly ideal.

Dealer tells me this was all that came with the kit, but it seems to me this cover is missing.
Dealer is following up with Hobie. I have found a 3/4 inch nylon threaded cap in Bunnings (hardware store)
that seems to do the trick, for 50 cents.

In addition, the solar cable and connector on the panel do not have any covers at all.
I have used PVC tape to cover them for now, but again, hardly ideal.

It's a bit saddening to find yourself having to source components yourself for a product that
costs thousands of dollars.

Anyone have any words of wisdom regarding sea water caps/covers for the Evolve & Solar panel components ?

Has anyone found (or made) replacements?
if so, source and component numbers would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

no takers ?