Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Does anyone have a way to tow their TI behind a car on the dolly? I'm thinking of doing this only at very low speed within a campground. We want to transport our TI inside of our toy hauler camping trailer, but sometimes the boat launch area is a fairly long way from the camping areas. I'm thinking of some kind of bar with a hook on it extending off the back of the car/pickup that the bow carry handle could be tied or hooked to. I am talking about 5 mph or less--walking speed, essentially.
Bartman

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:25 pm 
Site Admin

Be very cautious about lubrication for the wheels to axel connections and any possible tire to hull contact points. Once towing, you can not feel extra drag that would indicate a problem.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 11:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Is there enough room for one of the trailex trailers in there? Seems to me that along with the TI itself, it wouldn't take up that much more space than a dolly that is long enough to hitch to a truck. I have the SUT-350, not the official AI/TI trailer, and it's just under 4 feet wide and about as long as the TI, or can be shortened. I often unhitch and launch the AI by hand, but I'd be worried my new TI is heavy enough that things might get away from me if on too much of a hill.

The draw bar can also come apart in two sections for storage if you want to go through the trouble of loosening a few bolts.

-Chris

Texas, USA

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The toy hauler is actually big enough to accommodate the TI on a converted Harbor Freight 4x8 trailer, but the kayak + trailer is too heavy to pull into the trailer by hand. I've had to put the empty trailer in first, then drag the TI up on it's dolly and slide it onto the boat trailer. Quite a production, particularly if one is going long distance and has to do it every night. Not too bad once you get to a fixed base. The advantage is having the boat trailer to tow to multiple launch sites.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 1:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We use a Harbor Freight truck bed extender and put the TI in the truck when traveling short distances between launch area and campsite. I thought about just towing like you, but decided against that. The TI is easy to get into to truck bed and is quite secure once tied down. We have a long bed but even with that it sticks out a long way. The extender takes little space when not in use. The TI rides on top of the truck when traveling so that we can pull travel trailer. It rides on it's own trailer when sailing locally though which is much easier :lol: .