Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Unlike the H16, the TI usually recovers gracefully on its own, if you just hang on. Unless you are surfing. (I suspect we'll see a great splashdown from Mattcolburns mast cam some day).

It seems when the AI is, um,.."fully-loaded", the bow can pearl, along with the LW Ama, giving you a surprise. This happened recently, riding 2-up (one on Haka), while actually going upwind in big wind and moderate swells. The hull was nicely balanced, with the bow chopping through successive waves. On the 3rd (largest) one, it just dove down-down, as the WW side tried to pitch us. Neither of us saw it coming, but right away it reminded me of a highside on a motorcycle.

Anyway, it's a very low risk on an AI, unless your stage name is Chaos or Rippit :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Umm, why would anyone be out on the leeward tramp (or Haka) in the first place?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:

Well, let me tell ya Chris. Being the larger of the two, I was out on the windward tramp while my nephew was on the leeward tramp. Since we were downwind (jibing) sailing, the mirage drive and dagger board were removed for performance. As the wind picked up I reinstalled the mirage drive as well as the dagger board. That's what saved the day in righting the boat btw. I then shifted from the windward tramp back to the seat and was going to have my nephew move to the windward side. Unfortunately it was only a minute or so into this switching around that we pitched. It happened very quickly.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Jim. I wasn't trying to be wise after the fact about your incident. More wondering why people were choosing to sit out on the leeward tramp/Haka, given that NOHUHU also seemed to have found himself in a similar situation. I guess the lesson, with the wisdom of hindsight is, if you are going to sail with two people on an AI, one should always be sitting to windward and the other should sit amidship.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Oh No, it was a good question Chris. I think it really boiled down to me being way too overconfident. Now in conditions even close to that day I hold tight onto the sheet and spill the air in submarine moments much quicker than I probably should. I used to love submarine mode but not so much now.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good answer, Jim, and good question, Chris. I'm sure everyone was wondering why the Nephew was on the downwind side and were too polite to ask.

As I like to say, "Accidents happen fast and, often, when least expected." Followed by "Wear your PFD and have your radio and PLB/SPOT handy."

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
Duh -It's called a gybe! :lol: And on the TI with a crew, it's easy enuff to be caught wrong-footed. Usually it's due to the pilot not calling out the course change ahead of time, (or just spacing out at the tiller) but it can be the result of a sudden gust/shift of strong wind or turning quickly to avoid trouble in crowded waters. Often, having supermodels spread all over the boat will do it too.

Anyone who does not hike out may never experience the thrill. But if you do get caught, just be thankful that Hobie didn't give us a "boom". :wink: