Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When I broke the first crank on my Mirage Drive, replacement took three weeks via the dealer I bought the boat from.

In a rational world, I would expect that the dealer submits the claim to Hobie, Hobie approves the claim, and Hobie drop-ships the part to the customer.

But this dealer says that's not the way it works: instead, Hobie ships the part to the dealer and the dealer then process that receipt and re-sends it to the customer - i.e. at least double the shipping time, probably more due to latency in the dealer's processing.

Now, of course, I have discovered that the other crank is broken too and the same dealer who handled the first crank is asking me to supply:

• A photo of the AI
  • The Hull ID of the AI
  • A photo of the Mirage Drive (I already sent them a photo of the broken crank)

Something doesn't compute here.....

The Question: Is not drop-shipping direct to the customer a Hobie policy thing, or is this a choice by the dealer?

(anybody want to buy a slightly-used AI SpinKit?)
eMail: [email protected]

Last edited by PeteCress on Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Warranty can ship to the customer directly - all the dealer needs to do it state that in the claim and provide the shipping information. (if the claim doesn't specify that it's to go to the customer directly it will default to the dealer address) Have them contact us if they're unsure the process.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jbernier wrote:
Warranty can ship to the customer directly - all the dealer needs to do it state that in the claim and provide the shipping information. (if the claim doesn't specify that it's to go to the customer directly it will default to the dealer address) Have them contact us if they're unsure the process.

Sounds like there is something in the contract between this dealer and Hobie, then. \

Here's a quote from my last email re/a broken Mirage Drive crank:

Jun 15, 4:47pm
Hi Pete,

Just so you know, Hobie does not ship to customers normally and it is in our contract with them that everything has to be sent to us before it can go to the customer. With your particular situation, we reached out to Hobie, and they are going to send one directly to you as a courtesy. Please let me know if you have any questions.

(anybody want to buy a slightly-used AI SpinKit?)
eMail: [email protected]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:12 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Hobie does not ship to customers normally and it is in our contract with them that everything has to be sent to us before it can go to the customer.

There is no contract statement that we require "parts" be sent to the dealer. We offer a drop ship service for parts at a cost of $10 per shipment. Warranty will commonly send direct at no charge to help expedite a claim.

What we do not do is ship into another dealer's territory. This protects dealers from internet dealers poaching on their area.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)