Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have had a Hobie Mirage since early 2005 & an Adventure or two for the past four or so years. I have totally used my Hobies for fishing & some camping, mostly in saltwater.

A new AI is on order & will be arriving in mid-September. I have a bit of sailing experience & sailed Chekika's wife's AI with assistance from Capt. Chaos earlier this year on an Everglades camping adventure. Loved it & found it easier than any sailboat - big or small - that I I've sailed.

I'm looking for tips for newbie AI owners for rigging and sailing, fishing, camping, & whatever. I've read many of the posts on here, but would appreciate some Do's & Don'ts & Tips for a long-time Mirage anger but new AI sailor. btw - Chekika is making me some mini spray skirts & my husband is helping me make some Hakas. And, yes, I am blonde, female, lefthanded, over 60 years old, & with zero mechanical skills like those on here seem to have. I may have to video my upcoming adventures for next year's Comic Con.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Best way to learn, I have found, is to sail around in lighter winds (6-12mph) with a few other similar boats (AI's) with sailors that are willing to help you learn and improve. In lighter winds, if you don't do something just right, the boat will mostly just sit there. When done right, you know it right away! Great immediate feedback is important for quick and easy learning.

Once comfortable in lighter winds, a bit stronger winds will both increase your skills, and your confidence in your boat. For most people, your AI will handle much more than you will be comfortable in.

Good luck, and have fun!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

KB, excellent advice on sailing in light winds the first couple times.

Terry says, "I am blonde, female, lefthanded, over 60 years old, & with zero mechanical skills," but can she fish!! She also keeps her fingernails manicured beautifully. That is very important.

You are going to do great Terry.

Chekika

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Your post is a source of a fountain of humor about females and blonde hair and I do admire your sincerity about wanting to learn.
It will be interesting to watch your future posts about accessorizing and color coordinating your new AI. :D
BTW, my response is not intended to be mean spirited, condescending, or chauvinistic and is only reflecting your sense of humor.
I guess you can tell that I've been married for a long time.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I didn't take your comments to be mean in any way. My kayaking & attempting to accessorize or repair things on my own has truly been a source of continued humor. I've been cussed out by stinkpot guides and had my tires slashed because he didn't like kayakers. Heck, I was knocked out of my Hobie into the Gulf of Mexico by a large "flying" Eagle Ray. I am anticipating some big goof ups but trying to minimize them by learning from others' mistakes.

Salty Dawg wrote:
Your post is a source of a fountain of humor about females and blonde hair and I do admire your sincerity about wanting to learn.
It will be interesting to watch your future posts about accessorizing and color coordinating your new AI. :D
BTW, my response is not intended to be mean spirited, condescending, or chauvinistic and is only reflecting your sense of humor.
I guess you can tell that I've been married for a long time.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Terry - My wife is blonde, not left handed and approaching the half-century mark. She just started learning how to sail the AI after spending time on a Hobie Outback Kayak for a few years. ... while I've been sailing small craft practically my whole life, she had never handled a sailboat by herself before but she is quite comfortable on the water (we are both certified and experienced SCUBA divers).

I purchased a second AI for her a few months ago and we have both been out together now 3 times in light to moderate winds and all three times were very positive experiences for her.

She gets overwhelmed easily processing large amounts of (new) information (I'm NOT going to say thats a blonde thing :wink: ) so I showed her the very basics of furling/unfurling the sail and we set off with me doing most of the set up to the rig ready. The first sail, even with light winds I only had her let out about half the sail - plenty to get the boat moving and get a feel for being under power. With me close by and coaching her to "feel" for the wind she caught on to tacking and setting the sail for max power quite easily. I had her furl / unfurl the sail at least a dozen times as this is something you have to get used to doing and can be a bit challenging when under good power the first couple of times. Its all just managing your lines and there are only two .. well really one if you tie the two ends together !! (which you should)

The next trip out I assisted her setting the boat up explaining each step ... and we were off again for a great 4 hr sail including a stop on a small island for lunch. She became quite comfortable on the AI and we weren't -><- this close together like the first sail ...

The next trip out she was on her own - I helped carry the equipment for setup, but she had to put it together and get it all right for launch ... and get herself launched successfully. With coaching and instruction she did great. I had her sail a 4 mile triangle circuit with a beaching at one point so this time it wasn't just "where ever the winds take me" and she had to plan her tacks and point of sail accordingly .. a bit of a challenge, but since she had gotten used to the boat the previous two timex out it wasn't too much to ad to the job list.

I've taught quite a few people how to sail small craft over the years and i have to say - by FAR - the Hobie Adventure Island is about the easiest boat to learn on for two main reasons: 1) its almost impossible to flip so that scare factor when the wind grabs you is gone .. and 2) it is VERY easy to de-power by furling - either completely, or just enough so you don't feel like you're out of control. It is really like having a throttle and you set how fast/slow you want to go and adjust this to your comfort level.

We are taking a Hobie Island camping/sailing vacation the last 2 weeks in September and will be traveling ~1,400 from Long Island up through New England visiting several large lakes for a few days each as well as Acadia Nation Park. All will be day sailing from campsites / friends' homes with other non-sailing activities as well to break it up

... The most exciting thing for me right now is how much she is looking foward to the trip !!

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you for that info, Passwind. It was just the type of thing I was looking for. I like the idea of sailing a triangle to move beyond just going with the flow. That the AI is difficult to flip was one reason I decided to get one. Having pitch-poled in a Hobie Cat before was not fun. Maybe I'll first try this on our lake with the alligators instead of Tampa Bay with the sharks.....

I hope you'll post photos of your upcoming trip. I love Acadia and the Maine Coast!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Terry wrote:
I like the idea of sailing a triangle to move beyond just going with the flow

blasting around for fun is one thing .. setting a point or destination and how you use the wind and wave to get there is another. Both put a smile on my face

Quote:
I hope you'll post photos of your upcoming trip. I love Acadia and the Maine Coast!

I need to get a new waterproof camera before the trip !! This the first time for both of us to Acadia and are very excited. Everyone we've talked to raves about their time there.

.. We've been trippin' our way through the National Parks the past several years for vacation. Chekika
is my inspiration

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Terry! Same here! Blond, woman, 60, left-handed, no mechanical skills (my only power tool is a blow dryer), turtled TWO sailboats in my lifetime, and I'm learning to fish (unlike you I really suck at that!). You will LOVE the AI! We have two, the only ones I've seen on KY Lake. We're enjoying match racing.

Congrats, have fun, and please continue to keep us posted on your adventures!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Passwind - I have several nice cameras including a waterproof Optio. I now pretty much only use my iPhone in its very waterproof case when I'm on the water. It takes amazing photos. It's easy to post my photos to facebook/social media. And I don't worry about it getting dunked.

sailhoky - Love the power tool comment. We have a lot in common. I'm branching out though and am going to get something beyond a hairdryer. Not sure what that will be yet.