Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Aka shear pin
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

They work. I hit a neighbor's piling coming in to my dock. I was kind of funny as it was kind of slow motion in my head and I actually thought to myself "I wonder if the shear pin is going to go". This may be common knowledge, but I had not dealt with them before. It would be very difficult to replace the pin without a tool. I used the pliers on a multi-tool that I carry to both remove the broken bits and install a new pin. The pin is actually a fully threaded bolt and the clearances on my boat were such that I had to thread the bolt the entire way through the mating parts. It would not have been fun in deep/rough water. I thought my misfortune might help others someday.

Post subject: Re: Aka shear pin
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yep, we popped one coming into the boat ramp on the 4th. My wife was steering and I couldn't correct it fast enough. Glad to know it fails like it's supposed to. I had the tramps installed which kept the ama from collapsing in. Since we were done for the day I just waited until we got home to replace it, but I could see it being difficult in rough water.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I broke my first pin on the boat ramp last weekend too! The boat was heavy with 3 inches of water in the hull from a leaky front hatch and very choppy conditions. I tried shoving the boat onto the trailer using the aka, but all that did was shear the nylon bolt. The spine-board haka kept the ama from folding in very much. Looks like a winch is in my future.

I have heard some folks carry a small phillips screwdriver that serves two purposes. It can be used to push out the broken bits of the rudder pin or aka pin and then it can be inserted into the space to serve as a temporary pin. Of course, if you hit something again, you will break something else before the screwdriver goes.

I am thinking of getting some 1/4 inch nylon rod instead of the nylon bolt that is currently used. It might provide just a little more shear resistance since it is not threaded, but should still protect the more durable parts of the boat.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0070ZG5WK/ref=biss_dp_t_asn

-CC

Texas, USA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chris
You can probably find nylon bolts that are not threaded along their entire length. Sunbelt Fasteners in Round Rock may have them or can get them for you. I considered doing this also but had already purchased several spares in addition to adding safety lines as has been discussed here extensively.

I tried something new for getting the boat back on the trailer from the cart at the large Windy Point boat ramp last weekend.
I pulled the boat up to the flat rigging area and parked my trailer on the sloped part with the truck facing the water. Then took everything off the boat and stowed it in my cargo box. Then loaded the boat on the trailer. I was pretty tired after a long day of sailing and un-rigging in the heat but it felt a lot easier with the trailer on the slope. Now I just need to figure out how to pull the boat UP the ramp using the trailer instead of my back and leg muscles. Previously I just backed up to the water on the sand bar and launched from the trailer. That was before the water level came up 38 feet and submerged the sand bar.

I saw two other 2015 TI's launching as I was leaving, were you one of them ?

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

same I was pedaling along and couldn't make the turn. Hit the ama against piling slowly and SNAP there goes the shear pin

agreed it is sort of difficult to replace on the water and for the fist time. I just ordered 8 shear pins for the my fix kit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Chris, I was at Windy Point on Sunday afternoon, arrived with my yellow TI around 16:00 and stayed until 19:30. I talked briefly to someone with a red TI and spine board akas who was loading out as I was loading in.

-C

Texas, USA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That was me Chris.

Chris