Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What better way to celebrate our last trip to Broughton Island at the same time last year?

Plan is to launch from Shoal Bay ramp of the day and head out of Nelson Bay (slack tide is about 830am), arriving at Esmeralda Bay around lunch time, and returning on the Saturday (slack tide is around 3pm).

We had an awesome time last year, and it would be great if we could assemble bigger numbers this year.

The trip involves an offshore trip of 10-12Nm each way, running parallel to the coast about 1-2Nm offshore.

Here is a view of the island as seen from the mainland.
and here from onboard, on the way

We will not be silly regarding weather conditions, and will make the go-no go call in the week beforehand.

Facilities on the island:
There are five camping positions (3 raised wooden, 2 grass), each of which can accommodate up to 4 tents and 6 people, although last time we just slept on the beach above the tide (dur!). Here is one of the platforms. We would need to be self-contained, although there is an eco-toilet nearby.
and here is the view looking over my tent on the beach

Recommended equipment
You cannot have too much safety gear with you, but I would think the following would be a good start:-
PFD (obviously) with strong whistle attached
Waterproof torch
GPS (Navionics sell a great app for smartphones for under $15) plus enough battery for two days
Compass
Sea anchor and at least 10 metres of line
Spare rudder pins (I surprisingly broke 2 last trip) and aka brace pins
Bilge pump or super sponge (mine lifts one litre at a time!)
Small tent, with pegs suitable for sand and some extra line for securing to wooden platform anchor rings if needed (plus sleeping mat etc)
Food & drink allow for an extra 24 hours should weather delay our return trip)

Desirable equipment
Chart plotter
VHF radio
Ground anchor and 50+ metres of line
First aid kit
flares etc
Sundry tools & spares

I am sure there are other items worth bringing, but the above will be a guide.

Parking at Shoal Bay near the ramp seems plentiful, and reasonably safe (although isolated).

I am hoping that I am giving enough notice to enable those who expressed interest last time to join us on this occasion. Both grass sites are still available as of 21/3/84, while I have booked wooden platform no. 3 in anticipation. Overnight costs are approximately $12 per person. In an ideal world we would need more than the one platform (ie more than 6 people), so making early decisions will hopefully enable grabbing a second (or third!) site before they are booked out.

Looking forward to your quick response!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sorry, Tony, can't make it again this year. Keep the invite open though.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ya never knnow Keith! These days people flit all over the place on business/vacation. And besides, it seems that Aussies tend to read this forum rather than the Oz Hobie one, so I try to cover all bases.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As I said today Tony, I've locked it in. Absolutely love the place and looking forward to getting back.

BTW Tony, where we are going, is it anywhere near here ? I'd just like to know so that I pack the right size rod.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Cool, broughton island down south also, I'm heading for the northern archipelago this july (Canada). Maybe if we just keep going we'll meet!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good news Slaughter! You won't need a rod, you should be able to catch a shark by hand (or leg) :lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW. why have you photoshopped a microscope view of little sperms with a map? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Count me in Tony.
I'd really be keen (weather dependant) on 2 nights if possible? :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

One day Tony, one day I'll be over that way.
Cheers from Brian in South Australia.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great to hear, Stringy! Wooden platform Campsite #3 (I already booked it for Friday night) is still available for Saturday night right now, and to avoid needing to move (if you are not sleeping on the Africa Queen LOL), it would be a good idea to book it for Saturday night ($30 odd including the first two people).

I could stay both nights too (everything is of course weather dependant)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Done!
Wooden Platform Campsite #3 26/4/14 booked and paid for.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Stringy has booked the platform (see below) for the Saturday 26th, so we are good for two nights now.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Got in touch with both Tony and Stringy this week and all is still good for Broughton. So far we have 4 definates, 1 AI, 2 TI's. Spaces on the platform are running out quick. Lock in your spot to save disappointment.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't get it?? Why is there a platform, and people using it, when there is nice grass camping below?

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There are five campsites on the island, three wooden platforms (with tie-downs) plus two grass campsites (both of them are below "our" wooden platform). The grass campsites are quite uneven, and could be less than ideal if there is rain in the week before we get there. Last time I was there a year ago, only two sites were occupied, despite all five being booked (according to the website), but we camped on the beach (naughty, but nobody complained). We hope to be able to use that picnic table as our kitchen

Each site can take 4 tents and 6 people, so I am hoping we run out of room, as that will mean we have a nice big group. Apart from the 4 people Slaughter mentioned, I have another 4 possibles. If necessary, the overflow can either sneak onto the grass sites (if available), or else set up on the beach.

It is very unusual, in that the island is National Park (with quite strict conditions) yet just around the bay (to the right of the photo) are a bunch of "fisherman's shacks", which are the legacy of being there before the Island became part of the National Park. Over time, these "shacks" got the treatment, and now sport satellite dishes, solar panels, water tanks, and huge picture windows hidden behind shutters when the owners are away.

There quite a few private moorings in the bay, mostly for these shacks, but a big tourist boat often ferries people to and from Port Stephens, and leaves a workboat on a mooring for when it arrives (they are in the distance in the photo.

Despite all that, we have to bring everything, as apart from the table, the only other facility is an eco-toilet (with a great view).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It doesn't look like the eco toilet is oriented properly to get a great view. Can it be turned around so that with the door open, you can get the great view?

Don't forget, you can make great tables from hakas. http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=270 scroll down to "First Enhancement of my Haka Table." You could probably carry a haka table up to the platform where it could be set up and provide a great view while having breakfast or dinner.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon