Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just spotted this on an Aussie forum
Quote:
I gave myself a bit of a scare 2 weeks ago in my TI off darwins harbour entrance. I underestimated the strength of the tides up here 'rookie error' and when trying to make my way np back in found myself up against the full force of a 7.3m tide running out to sea at around 5 knots. I was carrying a Garmin GPSMAPS62s which by I knew I had 3.2 km to reach the shoreline. Also I was wearing a PFD , had flares onboard and also I carry a GME TX850 VHF marine radio. I raised the port of Darwin and let them know my situation and they said they would be on standby to assist if need be. Luckily I only had to 'tread water' for about another hour before the tide went slack. Even with the Tandem islands sail I was pushing it to maintain 1-2 knots agains the tide but once it died down I managed to get back in safely. Also I was happy I packed an emergency water bladder of 5 litres in the hull as I was exhausted and almost used the whole 8 litres I had on board from the heat of the tropics. I have defiantly learnt my lesson and will only go out from now on after studying the tides better and not going on a full moon with the huge king tides we have up here !

Crikey!

Funnily enough, even though my local tides average around only 1.5m, the 100m wide entrance to the 74km2 lake means that the current rushing through the entrance can reach a jaw-dropping 9 knots, so things can get interesting if tide and wind are opposing!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

While we don't have 20' or more tides experienced some places around the world, but we do have 4-5 mph (4 kn) currents in passes which are very tough to make any progress against. Usually you learn your lesson very quickly, and vow never to do "THAT" again.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

+/- 1.5 FEET here. Steady as she goes.

I know, I know,.. don't cry for NOHUHU. :roll: But there's plenty of reefs and surf, and low tide is a b*tch.

Last weekend, the reefs were very exposed and it really got your attention.

Tony, I'd hate to be dragged anywhere at 9 knots, except maybe home.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:59 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

i can see how much our tides rise and fall here, but how do you determine the speed exactly?

http://www.tide-forecast.com/locations/ ... des/latest

looks like we can get 2 meters max out here. the landscape is completely different from high to low tide with half of our reef being out of the water at low, low tide.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I blieve the speed is a function of the narrowness of the flow. As Keith mentioned above, in Florida, even with only 1-1.5 feet of tide, the flow can be fast enough in shallow/narrow places that forward progress can become useless. Up in the north & northwest of Australia though, with massive tidal range of 20+ feet, I gather that the tide moves fast enough even on open beaches to be seen. In the remote Kimberley area in the northwest, tides are as much as 35 feet, and at the world-famous Horizontal Falls, the drop is 4 metres. Note the scale, that is an aircraft in the foreground!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here in south Florida our highest tide change is on the order of 5' on the Gulf coast. I don't know what it is on the Atlantic coast.

Velocity? When I said 4-5 mph through passes, I was actually measuring my AI drift speed as shown on my GPS. Presumably the current is faster than that. When we return through the passes from a camping trip, we can often time things a bit better. I've regularly hit 7-8 mph with casual paddling in a sea kayak.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

RUSTY, NOAA does list tide flow rates for some major bays and rivers along the east coast. (Up to the Bay of Fundy).

Fundy has 100 billion tonnes of water flush through, in a single tide.

But if you want to know, you'll probably just have to jump in at mid-tide with a GPS.. (Dude -make sure it's the incoming tide)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:46 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

i will have to get some pics out my window of high tide and low tide, which look completely different, much like that lighthouse photo.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In Sarasota we have really strong tides coming in and going out the two passes in and out of Sarasota bay, typically 5-6 mph when it is really rushing, and pretty impossible to get thru with a TI unless you have a motor.
The funny part about it is this is totally unnecessary. There used to be 3 passes in Sarasota until a hurricane blew one of them shut about 25-30 yrs ago I'm told (this is midnight pass and was shut before I moved to Florida). The funny thing out it is it was probably there and open for a million yrs ( I would guess), then a hurricane hits and blows it shut. The tree huggers wouldn't allow them to open it back up saying it was natural (I don't know what natural about a hurricane), now the whole area for about 15 miles of the intercoastal smells bad with stagnant water, and not too many of us kayakers and sailers venture down there (From Siesta Key past Casey Key, almost to Venice).
I often wonder about stuff like that.
Bob

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Strong current, lack of wind, strong head wind, mirage drive break or fatigue are the reasons I carry the Hobie electric motor. I now think of it more of a safety device than a luxury add on since it has saved me a couple of times. It will make headway when nothing else will. Even if you have to use it full throttle for a short duration it can make the difference of getting though an inlet or waiting hours for tide to change; if there is a squall heading your way waiting can be hazardous.

Capt. Chaos and I both were stuck trying to get back from Eggmont Key in Tampa when we got pounded with high waves and 35mph headwind and current going against us. The Torqueedo made my trip look easy by camparison as the constant thrust kept me moving in the right direction and not lose ground. Capt. Chaos on the other hand, who had no motor, kept falling further and further behind me and was struggling to make any headway. We both got back and while I was OK he was wiped out from having to peddle like a madman. I think next week the Capt. bought a new motor. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good story re motor sailing, and the ability to point higher.

In the case of the Bay of Fundy, the tides are +/- 25feet cycles, with the average max velocity of 4 knots, so much higher in some places obviously. Motorboats only need apply..

Locally they experience rapids, reversing falls, standing waves and a bit of the infamous tidal bore (the real tidal wave).

Maybe we can convince Spook to ride one of these:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90sJGvU-8Z4[/youtube]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:01 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

fusioneng wrote:
In Sarasota we have really strong tides coming in and going out the two passes in and out of Sarasota bay, typically 5-6 mph when it is really rushing, and pretty impossible to get thru with a TI unless you have a motor.
The funny part about it is this is totally unnecessary. There used to be 3 passes in Sarasota until a hurricane blew one of them shut about 25-30 yrs ago I'm told (this is midnight pass and was shut before I moved to Florida). The funny thing out it is it was probably there and open for a million yrs ( I would guess), then a hurricane hits and blows it shut. The tree huggers wouldn't allow them to open it back up saying it was natural (I don't know what natural about a hurricane), now the whole area for about 15 miles of the intercoastal smells bad with stagnant water, and not too many of us kayakers and sailers venture down there (From Siesta Key past Casey Key, almost to Venice).
I often wonder about stuff like that.
Bob

my dad lived on Siesta Key for a couple years from like 92-95. i almost remember midnight pass being open my first summer down there but not open the next summer,, maybe this is just my poor memory playing tricks on me. i took out my dads canoe one day and went way out into the bay or channel or whatever you call it by the bridge and had a hard time getting back in. i was like 12 and could have made it eventually but my dad pulled up in his boat and assisted... i really wanted to finish it on my own to prove to him and myself but i think he thought it wouldn't have happened before sundown ;) but it was so fun living down there during the summers ;) we visited that area in like may 2012, went fishing with some old friends and took the long journey around the pass 'again'. that area is still pretty nice, but seemed a lot more crowded now, go figure...