Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Cooper Anchors
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yeah... Tony's retrieval line idea is tops and I've already collected the gear to do it.

One consideration is that in my experience with larger multihulls, they are better anchored from a bridle that spans the hulls.
It allows the boat to sit more quietly at anchor and not swing around the hook so much.
Also reduces any potential shock load if the boat surges at anchor by distributing the load across two points.
I have to think that our Ama really aren't sturdy enough when extended to attach a bridle across each of their tips though.

All theoretical for me cause my 2015 TI doesn't arrive for another month (or more ??) so I can't experiment with any setups for anchoring.

Hurry up Hobie !!

~BoP

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's Torture! :(

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:46 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

90% of my many hours of Kayak fishing in the UK consisted of sitting at anchor, the correct way in my opinion and the many hundreds of yakers in the UK is to use an anchor trolly and a cheap divers wreck reel. I used this method on my AI with no trouble at all.

Heres a video by a UK yakker. The quick release system is the only way I would anchor up

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-47vOJZe01c

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yesterday I got my blue Cooper anchor caught on a snag with about 75 feet of anchor line out. It was most likely an gnarly cedar stump at the bottom of lake Travis which has recently risen 36 feet doe to heavy rainfall in central Texas.
I pulled the boat back over the anchor then used the mirage drive to move around to the opposite direction from which the anchor was caught while paying out line to maneuver. I pretty quickly got the anchor loose without too much difficulty. I really like this lightweight anchor and even more the maneuverability of my boat.
After writing this I realized that I probably could have just reversed my Mirage drive and backed past the anchor to pull it loose.

Chris

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Buckaroo wrote:
Anchor - splice to 10 FT 1/4" nylon rope -shackle to 10 Ft. 1/4" chain - shackle to 50 FT 3/8" nylon rope
How do you manage the line/chain?

Once my Blue Cooper arrives, I am thinking about sewing up a stuff bag or a throw bag....

(anybody want to buy a slightly-used AI SpinKit?)
eMail: [email protected]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

At the moment I use one of these Harbor Freight 15" canvas bags. The blue Cooper is slightly long for it but I can wedge the main part in on top of the rope and chain. I just lay the rope in coils and it never gets tangled. I bungee the bag to the rear deck and caribiner the end of the anchor line to the rear cleat so I can't lose it because I usually don't deploy the entire length of the anchor line.
I have thought about making a "rope tidy" bag for it to hang in front of the rear mirage drive but this HF bag is convenient for anchoring off of the stern.

http://www.harborfreight.com/canvas-rig ... 38124.html
You can see the bag on my boat here:
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=58779

Chris

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you all for your posts about the Cooper Anchor. I sail my TI in both the Monterey Bay and lakes in the Sierra foothills and have a few times wanted to drop anchor and just enjoy the views. I ordered a blue Cooper the other day and am looking forward to rigging it and trying it out. One thing puzzles me: if I have 75-100 feet of anchor line, but don't want to deploy all of it, what have you found to be the best place and way to cleat the excess line? To complicate things further, I currently have two hammock straps with rings attached to the forward cross beam on either side of the mast. I attach my Greenfield 'sky winch' winch/bow line rope to each to these with a carabiner when hauling the boat on to the trailer (saves a lot of wear and tear to the back). I was hoping to use those with the anchor line, but I haven't figured out how to attach different lengths of anchor line to them, based on the anchoring depth. 'Thinking there must be some cleating system that climbers use. 'Could be that it will just be easier and cheaper to buy and carry a couple of lengths of anchor line!?? Thanks for any ideas you might have.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You could simply attach a convemtional; deck cleat on the sloping front face of the cockpit (vellow the front crossbar, if you want to use only some of your line.

I got around this issue by having a 30 foot line permanently attached with a bowline to the crossbar (and through the "O" ring mentioned earlier). In a bag which is attached to the rear crossbar (or the rear luggage area when sailing two-up). This bag contains the Cooper anchor,20 feet of thick braided line, a swivel, 6 feet of chain, and another 60 (think so) feet of line. If going away, I might add even more, with a bunch of shackles to tie it all together

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just leave the extra line in the bag and tie a loop where I want to stop paying it out. Previously I would reach back and attach that to the rear padeye with a snap shackle but now just use the outboard mount. The bitter end of the anchor line always hangs out of the bag a couple of feet and get's shackled to the boat when I'm rigging to go out.
Chris