Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cooper Anchors
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

What was the total U.S. price? Is there a usa distributor or any extra fees involved?

2015 Tandem Island-ivory dune

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Have you looked at the Cooper Anchors website? http://cooperanchors.com/anchors/

You order it directly from there, for $US49.50 including delivery, and you will receive a blue medium model (1kg) shipped from th\eir US depot within a few days.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

It also says USA and Canada may have extra duties

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:24 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Just got a blue one. No added fees. $49.50 USD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

scc wrote:
Just got a blue one. No added fees. $49.50 USD.

Just ordered one. How long did it take to come in?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:34 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm in CA. Four days via FedEx. Indirect signature required.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 11:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Used my Cooper anchor for the first time yesterday in light wind with fairly regular boat traffic and it worked very well in about 20 feet of water near shore. It's a fairly mucky bottom in a man made lake with lot's of submerged stumps and junk.

I also found a drifting anchor line that had been cut loose and after a little work pedaling around it pulled up a pretty big Danforth anchor and chain rode on the end of about 75 feet of poly line. I think being able to easily reposition and pull from different directions made all the difference in getting it loose.

Chris

Update: second try on the anchor and it worked great in about 40 ft. of water. The lake bottom is muck for sure, a very clay like mud comes up stuck to the anchor.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 5:33 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

What scope did you use?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 5:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't have accurate depth measurements and the water was fairly cloudy but estimating from the amount of line I put out before it felt like the anchor hit bottom I think my scope was 2:1 or less. Thinking about this now I may have only been in 30 Ft. of water.
Not a good scope for a normal boat but I was limited by only having 50 Ft. of anchor line plus the chain rode and the rope between it and the anchor. I have since changed to a 100 Ft. anchor rope. This has me thinking it would be useful to put some markers on the anchor line at 20 ft. intervals so I can have a better idea about the length and depth.
Chris

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:55 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Just ordered two of the blue Cooper anchors. Had a bit of adventure there. When I clicked "purchase" and it popped up the Australian bank payment form I thought "bet this doesn't work" and sure enough my credit union blocked it! Had to call and work my way through labyrinthine auto-attendant menus then two customer service reps to get them to approve the charge. But they did, and it went through the second time.

A friend had one complete with short rope lead then some chain, said he didn't think it worked very well based only on testing like Tony suggested - standing just offshore and pulling it through the shallow water. I took it to the middle of the lake on the TI, dropped it overboard, and felt like I hit a wall! :mrgreen: Held fast in moderate wind with waves. The TI was quite comfortable and stable, once I remembered to raise the centerboard and rudder... :roll:

Of course now he wants to try it himself! :lol: So I ordered my own, got a second to use with my kayaks. Almost got the red one for that but heck the blue isn't that big. Lighter than the mushroom and claw anchors most use around here, and it gives me a spare for the TI just in case...

My next challenge is figuring out what to do with all that rope! Don't know how some of you use bags, I can knot and tangle a rope just by looking at it - I'd spend hours getting it untangled each time I deployed if I used a bag!

Went to the hardware store this morning and browsed... Finally came home with a couple of electrical cord reels. One is the cheap / basic "H" that you manually wrap the cord around. Fairly compact, but a bit tedious to wind/unwind - especially if I need 100 ft or more. The other is an all-plastic reel with a handle in the center you hold and a knob on the side to spin the caddy portion. I tied the anchor rope around the spool hub and wound it on there. It's a bit large, but then I can hold a LOT of anchor line if needed! I'm figuring I'll loop a tether line through the center in a large loop (so it stays out of the way when winding / unwinding) so that, even if the plastic reel breaks for some reason, the tether will be connected to the anchor line and I don't lose it all.

A question on rope - where do I find good quality stuff? I guess I can order online, if I know what to get. Some of the pages I found searching for 'boat anchor rope' suggest the stuff at the hardware stores is pretty poor quality and shouldn't be trusted. They certainly don't have anything comparable to the TI's mainsheet line.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm using an open top canvas tool bag from Harbor Freight for my rope and anchor. There is something called a rope tidy bag used on sailboats that looks ideal. It's basically a nylon bag with a pair of grommets on one side that allow it to be mounted to a flat surface and an elastic opening. Imagine a kangaroo's pouch.
I'm thinking of making a couple appropriately sized to hang on the aka cross brace. In use you just stuff the rope in the bag like putting a sleeping bag in a stuff sack and it doesn't get tangled.

I initially purchased some inexpensive 3/8" three braid nylon rope on amazon then realized I needed a longer anchor line. Then I purchased the same type of rope from Academy and the quality seemed similar. The smaller line that leads from the anchor to the chain came from West Marine and it feels like a tighter braid and is stiffer almost as though it is coated or impregnated with something. It feels like it would be more durable but I don't know if it really makes a difference.

Chris

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I ordered this inexpensive anchor line from West Marine - http://www.westmarine.com/buy/trac-outd ... --12869699

Product Description
Braided polypropylene blend. 0.20"dia. x 100'L. 700lb. breaking strength. Includes factory spliced eye with stainless steel thimble and stainless steel shackled for USD $18.99

It's kinda thin stuff at only 0.20" or 5mm, but it is braided poly and should suit my my needs.

~BradS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bird, that is a great price considering the stainless hardware! And for a chain?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Chain not included with the West Marine stuff, but only USD $2 a foot from local hardware store for the recommended 1/4" (6mm) size.
How long a piece you think works best? I'm thinking four foot of leader line and four foot of chain but I only plan to use on local lakes here in OR and not offshore.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Depends on the boat/ anchor size and conditions but 10' is often recommended for real boats our size. 5-6' should work fine in your lakes.

I like the coated chains for our islands cuz they are quiet (fishing) and don't scratch things up when stored or in use. In yellow or white they are more visible.

Watch the shackle sizes though. I think >=1/4" may be too large for our bow padeyes. You should check yours. I ended up with 3/16", I believe.

I like Tony's retrieval line idea. You could consider installing an anchor trolly if you are going to fish a lot. They are tricky on the trimarans though. Our big Amas do not like getting twisted around anchor lines. :o Most sources advise never to anchor from the stern. Definitely don't tie off to an Aka.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next