Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

we have a mini - van and I just looking for any suggestions on what you would suggest we use to secure it to the top of our Mini Van. We have length wise standard bars on the top of the Van
Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi David and welcome if this is your first post.
A couple of domestic things first, in your profile, include your location e.g. City and County or whatever you call them.
Also include as much info as possible. You can put a photo in a public place e.g. Dropbox then add a link in your post
on this forum. Just type [img]then%20paste%20the%20link%20then%20type[/img]. You can preview before posting.

As to your question.
I am guessing that you may be talking about what in Australia we know as the Morris Mini replica.
Whatever it is, the following still applies.
The recomended way to carry your TI is upside down as the gunwales are the strongest part.
An alternative is to attach roof racks and attach the Hobie cradles to the roof rack.
Whatever method, you need to spread the load as much as possible so that the hull doesn't get dented.
This is more likely when storing over a period of time and in warm weather.

Do a search of this forum on a word such as topping and you will see many innovative ideas
for car topping. I have car topped on a Hyundai i30 and currently on a Holden Commodore.
Being a beiliever in Murphy law, I don't assume the rails or roof racks will alway hold so I fix
my TI at the front and back. I see some simply tie a rope on the front to hold it down.
Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Cam straps are the standard way to strap things down on a roof rack. http://www.nrs.com/category/3253/camping/straps A set of Hobie cradles up there for support is a good idea.

For a bit of extra security, a strap off the bow & stern is a good idea as CM suggested.

I strongly agree with CM that everyone should include some indication in their profile about their location--as specific as you like, but something about location is helpful to responders to questions.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon