Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:41 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Herbaldew wrote:
I visited Marquette decades ago. I wouldn't dream about going out in those waters without a drysuit. To each their own. I have the Kokatat that coachstevo mentions - don't think I could handle a latex gasket around my neck.

I admit though that I avoid exerting myself paddling or pedalling wearing it. Even though it is Goretex, I still heat up quickly in it. I also don't like putting all the extra wear and tear on it given it's price.

Fingers have been my hardest thing to keep warm as well. I tried neoprene gloves and hated them. I have ended up using brown jersey gloves most of the time. I take them off when I have to get my hands wet and put them back on when I dry my hands. If conditions get to where I can't keep my hands dry, I use Home Depot gloves as Chekika does but a slightly different model and just slide them over my jersey gloves. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Grease-Monkey-PVC-Coated-Extra-Large-Multipurpose-Gloves-23408-08/202638586 Granted I'll be sorry if I ever end up overboard using the jersey gloves, I don't think they will help much even inside of the rubber gloves. I may switch from jersey to polartec gloves next winter, they should do a better job when wet.

Polartec works, but the wind will still freeze your fingers. I use windstopper/fleece gloves ( same ones i use cycling in the wet) in winter here, sometimes in summer on nasty foggy days. Keeping the wind off your fingers is key, so even if wet they're still warm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:04 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Coming from the UK and fishing all year round I know a bit about cold, a drysuit is the way to go. I used to wear mine summer ( all but the hottest days ) and winter

I used to wear one of these.

https://youtu.be/FySzCX2KwWQ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:51 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

There will be days, so nice and warm, when I can sail my AI (Hart of Gold) in just a PFD (yes JUST a PFD!) :mrgreen:
But there will be PLENTY of days when I have to wear my normal outfit, the drysuit and various underwear.

Best AI clothing in Sweden without a single doubt!

br thomas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Kal-P-Dal wrote:
There will be days, so nice and warm, when I can sail my AI (Hart of Gold) in just a PFD (yes JUST a PFD!) :mrgreen:
But there will be PLENTY of days when I have to wear my normal outfit, the drysuit and various underwear.

Best AI clothing in Sweden without a single doubt!

br thomas

Hopefully you are a froody dude and have a towel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Remember it is pretty cold in Sweden! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

With it topping only at a very unseasonable 61 degrees F here in Michigan in August (aka Augtober), I appreciate this thread today. I've been wondering how we might dress to extend our season. Lots of great tips here. Thanks, again!

--- Muskegon Yacht Club ---

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Agreed... with temps starting to drop here in PacNW, I'm looking to extend the season too.
Here's a link to the Kokatat paddling suits referred to in this thread - http://kokatat.com/activity/recreational-kayaking/l/product_type-paddling_suits.html

Others have told me that make a great dry suit too, but they are twice the price and overkill I think. If it gets cold enough for one of those, I'm switching to skiing until Spring comes.

~BoP

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:10 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Media1der wrote:
With it topping only at a very unseasonable 61 degrees F here in Michigan in August (aka Augtober), I appreciate this thread today. I've been wondering how we might dress to extend our season. Lots of great tips here. Thanks, again!

+1

Winter is coming sometime this year...this is timely help for us. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

BoP - That Kokotek Gortex paddling suit looks like a perfect alternative to a wet suit - and from reading the description, if you don't plan to dunk your neck and head under frigid water (and I sure don't) it functions pretty much as a dry suit.

Sadly, I'm going to have to put that on the wish list this year, along with the tramps. We'd need one for each of us -- and we just bought the TI and trailer mid summer, and we're pretty much tapped out until next season. :(

~cfw

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:02 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Backcountry.com has the suit I use (and love) on sale: http://www.backcountry.com/kokatat-hydr ... K000V-DM-S

No large though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow! Makes me really glad I live here! It only reached 63 degrees here, in dead of winter....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

susanemohr wrote:
Our lake temp. rarely gets above 60 and air temp is rarely above 70 even in the heat of summer. I'd like to extend the season and be more comfortable when it's warmer but I need different clothes - I froze to death last summer. ... What do you wear to stay warm, dry and extend the sailing season?

I wear a dry suit for paddling my surf ski in protected water and a wet suit for windsurfing. If I paddle in the ocean, I prefer a wet suit - but do not always wear one.

Each has it's advantages.

One danger of the dry suit is that one can wear different degrees of thermal protection under it and I am continually tempted to dress light so I do not overheat when paddling. The lower effort level of sailing might mitigate that temptation......

My solution is to, after every paddle, flop into neck-deep water and just fool around for awhile to see how long it takes for the chill factor to get scary.... that tends to keep me calibrated.

The major upside of a dry suit is, of course, comfort and freedom of motion.

But a downside is that, if it floods, you have a problem.... maybe a beeeeeeg problem if you are immersed and have to heave yourself (and heaven-only-knows how many pounds of water) up on the the bottom of a capsized boat.....To see how a dry suit can become flooded without any visible failure, make a really hard fist and look at the inside of your wrist. ....See the grooves between the tendons? ...... Exactly......

Maybe not exactly a downside, but something to be mindful of: competant people in a clear frame of mind have been known to go out in a dry suit having forgotten to close the zipper. That is one reason to take a little full-immersion dip in a dry suit before setting out. ......... Another being to burp out excess air.

The advantages of a wet suit are:

• Inherant flotation: You float like a seal.
  • Impact Protection: You get banged around a little and there are fewer bruises.
  • Streamlining.... Once you ditch the PFD, you can swim in a wet suit. You can *try* to swim in a dry suit, but you're not going anywhere because the folds/loose material catch too much water. In fact, competition swimmers that I know look down on triathlete swimmers because they wear dry suits - which so enhance their streamlining and reduce effort that the competition swimmers say it's not really swimming - more like paddling a surfboard.

(anybody want to buy a slightly-used AI SpinKit?)
eMail: [email protected]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks a lot for this info, PeteCress. As someone very new to boating and watersports in general, your wet vs dry suit info is very valuable. I really think we'll consider one of the paddling suits posted here, but we're probably going to wait until spring. There's a phenomenon in Michigan where 50 degrees in the Autumn might as well be 50 below Antarctic chill, but that same 50 degrees and a southern breeze in the Spring will bring us out to play in shorts and flip-flops! :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Media1der wrote:
There's a phenomenon in Michigan where 50 degrees in the Autumn might as well be 50 below Antarctic chill, but that same 50 degrees and a southern breeze in the Spring will bring us out to play in shorts and flip-flops! :)
There's another "50" saying: "50 yards to swim, 50-degree water, 50-50 chance you're going to make it.".

OTOH, Lynn Cox swam the Bering Strait basically naked......Something about brown fat....

Long, long ago I was sitting in a Waikiki tourist trap called The International Marketplace taking a break from my job at a nearby hotel. It was December and I was wearing a long-sleeve cardigan and freezing my pasty white butt off....... A tourist from someplace like Broken Pelvis Montana sat down on the same bench. ..... I guess he felt like he had to say something.......And he said..... "Sure is hot and muggy here...."

(anybody want to buy a slightly-used AI SpinKit?)
eMail: [email protected]

Last edited by PeteCress on Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Move downunder for a few months guys :P

This weekend is forecast 24 (75 Farenheit).

I have to drive my wife interstate for lectures for the weekend.
There is a Caravan park right on the foreshore at Port Phillip bay.
So guess what I will be doing for the weekend :roll: