Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I need to find a way to store my Tandem Island, windsurfer etc in my condominium parking space in Brazil. I don't have a trailer for it. The parking space is empty because I don't have a car. It's just a normal covered parking space. Any ideas you may have would be helpful. Thanking you in advance.

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Build some sawhorses or cubes out of lumber and attach pvc pipe across them the same as people do on trailers. You can make them as high or low as necessary to facilitate loading onto whatever you transport with.
Chris

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you build saw horses then you have to lift the boat on them, which can be a pain. It's not a big deal to leave the boat down low by the ground. Easiest thing is to get two ten ft lengths on 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 pvc pipe and just lay them on the ground not attached to anything. The pipe will fit nicely in the two grooves on 11 inch centers that run the entire length of the boat, if you have a newer boat you can always cave in the pipe around the area where the venturie tube goes, or just ignore it (most just ignore it), your choice). You can safely drag the boat around on the pvc tubes if you desire (your not going to hurt the PVC, even if you do who cares, they only cost ten bucks, and can be easily replaced every ten years or so).
What I do is remove one ama, and tilt the boat on it's side to slip the scupper cart in.
Actually I always store my TI with the AMA's removed and piled on top of the boat with the sail. Takes up way less space, and way lighter. that way. I leave the AKA arms on the boat folded in and lashed. I always walk the boat on the scupper cart without the AMA's on (way easier an lighter), then walk the AMA's to the water separately and attach them at the water. This way the TI is no harder to walk around than an Oasis would be on a scupper cart. Just like any Hobie you should never store the boat on the scupper cart.
Don't buy into that crap about storing the boat upside down, first off it's a super pain to flip over, and storing it upside down gets your boat all scratched up (especially the black AKA braces), then what do you do with the AKA braces, AMA's, seats, mirage drives, and sail at that point). Also don't buy into the cradles, they are not the best way to store, and super expensive.
You can just shove the PVC pipes into the corner when not using them.
Basically you roll the boat into the car port on the scupper cart with the AMA's removed, and the AKA bars folded in. Place the pipes on the ground under the boat, tip one side up and remove the scupper cart. Now drop the boat onto the PVC pipes, lning them up in the grooves. Now drag the boat to it's final position (on the pipes). Now just pile the sail and AMA's on top of the boat (the AMA's help protect the cockpit from the sun). Make sure you put the sail in the black bag, because the sail is dacron, which is sensitive to sunlight and needs to be dry and shielded from sunlight, (the sail and carbon mast are the most expensive and delicate pieces on the boat, treat them with care, (just FYI). We just leave the seats and everything else in the boat. Always remove the bungys on the hatch and leave the hatch off for storage and maybe open one or two round hatches so air can get in the hull to dry everything inside, of course it's a given that you sponge or pump out any standing water in the hull (I keep my wet/dry vac next to the boat, and drain the salt water from that every few months, that wet dry vac is probably 20 yrs old and still going strong).
Hope this helps
FE

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

fusioneng wrote:
If you build saw horses then you have to lift the boat on them, which can be a pain. It's not a big deal to leave the boat down low by the ground. Easiest thing is to get two ten ft lengths on 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 pvc pipe and just lay them on the ground not attached to anything. The pipe will fit nicely in the two grooves on 11 inch centers that run the entire length of the boat, if you have a newer boat you can always cave in the pipe around the area where the venturie tube goes, or just ignore it (most just ignore it), your choice). You can safely drag the boat around on the pvc tubes if you desire (your not going to hurt the PVC, even if you do who cares, they only cost ten bucks, and can be easily replaced every ten years or so).
What I do is remove one ama, and tilt the boat on it's side to slip the scupper cart in.
Actually I always store my TI with the AMA's removed and piled on top of the boat with the sail. Takes up way less space, and way lighter. that way. I leave the AKA arms on the boat folded in and lashed. I always walk the boat on the scupper cart without the AMA's on (way easier an lighter), then walk the AMA's to the water separately and attach them at the water. This way the TI is no harder to walk around than an Oasis would be on a scupper cart. Just like any Hobie you should never store the boat on the scupper cart.
Don't buy into that crap about storing the boat upside down, first off it's a super pain to flip over, and storing it upside down gets your boat all scratched up (especially the black AKA braces), then what do you do with the AKA braces, AMA's, seats, mirage drives, and sail at that point). Also don't buy into the cradles, they are not the best way to store, and super expensive.
You can just shove the PVC pipes into the corner when not using them.
Basically you roll the boat into the car port on the scupper cart with the AMA's removed, and the AKA bars folded in. Place the pipes on the ground under the boat, tip one side up and remove the scupper cart. Now drop the boat onto the PVC pipes, lning them up in the grooves. Now drag the boat to it's final position (on the pipes). Now just pile the sail and AMA's on top of the boat (the AMA's help protect the cockpit from the sun). Make sure you put the sail in the black bag, because the sail is dacron, which is sensitive to sunlight and needs to be dry and shielded from sunlight, (the sail and carbon mast are the most expensive and delicate pieces on the boat, treat them with care, (just FYI). We just leave the seats and everything else in the boat. Always remove the bungys on the hatch and leave the hatch off for storage and maybe open one or two round hatches so air can get in the hull to dry everything inside, of course it's a given that you sponge or pump out any standing water in the hull (I keep my wet/dry vac next to the boat, and drain the salt water from that every few months, that wet dry vac is probably 20 yrs old and still going strong).
Hope this helps
FE

Thank you, fusioneng. Your advice is so simple and doable as well as economical.
Mike