Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: TI Carrying Capacity
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

dammit wrote:
...I think I will try and print out what Bob has kindly prepared - however not sure what material/method to use for that to make sure it is waterproof and will stick over the top of it, for good! (and not look dodgy to the 'inspectors').

Most ink used on ink jet printers is water soluble and wouldn't last a minute, and of course regular paper won't work. You would need waterproof ink printed on a vinyl label for an inkjet printer. However waterproof ink for such printers in nearly impossible to find. Once the label is printed and dry you could try sealing the ink with a spray on product like Krylon Preserve It.

If you have access to a color laser printer you would then need a polyester label because vinyl won't stand the heat of a laser printer. You could try taking the polyester label to a printer service store and asked them to print it using their color laser printer.

Neither of these methods will likely produce a label that will stand up to the rigors of a sailboat (UV, soaking water, and abrasion). The best bet is to have a sticker made by an online service. The only problem with this is the minimum quantity they will usually do is around 10 and that will cost over $100.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What about just layering vinyl and cutting it out using a siloette vinyl cutter?

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

TI_Tom wrote:
What about just layering vinyl and cutting it out using a siloette vinyl cutter?

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Not familiar with this. Could you explain in more detail how this works?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's a cutting machine for cutting vinyl and pretty much anything else (things like iron on T-shirts, etc).
Probably way easier just to print with a regular printer then laminate.
FE

PS: I'm pretty sure changing that sticker is highly illegal, and if something were to happen we are talking massive prison time.
If you plan to use the boat as a family boat, your only recourse is to get rid of it and get something else, there is no work around. I no longer recommend these boats for families, at least until Hobie resolves this issue.

This is only a recent development, I suspect how it came about is I think all manufacturers agreed to apply these capacity plaques a while back. Since there is no US Federal requirement for capacity (that I know of). All the states took it on themselves in the last couple years to enact laws referencing these crazy plaques that all the manufacturers agreed to put on their boats.
Now depending on the state, you really have no recourse, if you live in one of these states ( Florida is one) it's best to sell the boat and get something else if your intent is to take your family on the boat, or you plan to use the boat offshore, and power the boat (pretty neccessary if used offshore). No other options.

In Florida now it's particularly painful (in the last year or two), since the law clearly states that they abide by the manufacturers plaque with regard to capacity and hp ratings. The plaque on my boat clearly states 2 persons, and max HP ratings of 400 watts (basically the Evolve motor only), so if you have any intentions of adding an outboard (or even a 55lb electric) for going offshore. Forget it ( besides I highly discourage anyone taking a stock TI offshore (especially in the keys), the problem is the stock boat is not powerful enough to overcome the normal wind and currents (basically you get blown out to sea and can't get back).

Oh well.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

fusioneng wrote:
That's a cutting machine for cutting vinyl and pretty much anything else (things like iron on T-shirts, etc).
Probably way easier just to print with a regular printer then laminate.
FE

PS: I'm pretty sure changing that sticker is highly illegal, and if something were to happen we are talking massive prison time.
If you plan to use the boat as a family boat, your only recourse is to get rid of it and get something else, there is no work around. I no longer recommend these boats for families, at least until Hobie resolves this issue.

This is only a recent development, I suspect how it came about is I think all manufacturers agreed to apply these capacity plaques a while back. Since there is no US Federal requirement for capacity (that I know of). All the states took it on themselves in the last couple years to enact laws referencing these crazy plaques that all the manufacturers agreed to put on their boats.
Now depending on the state, you really have no recourse, if you live in one of these states ( Florida is one) it's best to sell the boat and get something else if your intent is to take your family on the boat, or you plan to use the boat offshore, and power the boat (pretty neccessary if used offshore). No other options.

In Florida now it's particularly painful (in the last year or two), since the law clearly states that they abide by the manufacturers plaque with regard to capacity and hp ratings. The plaque on my boat clearly states 2 persons, and max HP ratings of 400 watts (basically the Evolve motor only), so if you have any intentions of adding an outboard (or even a 55lb electric) for going offshore. Forget it ( besides I highly discourage anyone taking a stock TI offshore (especially in the keys), the problem is the stock boat is not powerful enough to overcome the normal wind and currents (basically you get blown out to sea and can't get back).

Oh well.

Excellent post and well stated.

I think Hobie should stop marketing the TI as a family boat, at least until this is resolved, if ever. In 9 out of 15 photos in their 2016 TI image gallery they clearly show more than two people in the boat:

Clearly they are targeting families in their marketing for this boat. Yet this is what they label the boat for us to deal with marine law enforcement authorities:

There is obviously something very wrong here.

Where I live the local marine police are always present right at the dock constantly checking boats for safety. If you could somehow get past them both they and the coast guard maintain a constant vigil on the water and routinely stop all types of recreational boats on the water to check for safety compliance. I've been stopped more times than I can remember.

I purchased this boat with the intention of taking both my son and daughter out together. Now when I go I have to tell one or the other they can't come. That is always heartbreaking for me. All because of a mislabeled sticker from the manufacturer that I'm not allowed by law to remove or alter.

So if a family of three or more purchased a TI based upon Hobie's marketing, which clearly show families on board, then they will have spent their $6,349 in vain because they'll soon be told by the authorities that they are in violation of state marine laws due to the capacity sticker.

If anyone with a family is reading this forum and thinking of purchasing a TI or AI, please first check with the local marine authorities where you live and anywhere else you may wish to sail this boat. Do this before you buy.

And Hobie, either do something to resolve this issue or pull your marketing showing this as a family boat.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you read the recent Florida (or your own state) laws about capacity plates (just look it up and read it for yourself, don't take my word on anything).

However there may be an out here, according to this article ( https://www.boat-ed.com/florida/studyGu ... 700051208/)
it says according to federal statutes sailboats are exempt from having to display a capacity/HP plaque.

What would work best is just to tape over the plaque (what you can't see doesn't hurt you). Don't attempt to make a new plaque with your own 'special' information on it, I'm quite sure that's highly illegal and you 'will' go to prison for that (Federal crime). However since sailboats are exempt (read the federal statutes yourself (don't take my word for anything), simply covering over the plaque on your sailboat so it can't be seen shouldn't hurt a thing. (probably what I will be doing).

If a DNR approaches your boat, always of course try to outrun them first ( I did that, but they had a 35 ft Scarab superboat). if they try to look for the plaque just state it's a sailboat and exempt (hopefully you will have the plaque taped over). (don't worry you are allowed one phone to call your wife to bail you out).

If I'm wrong, I will be sure to send cookies to you when your in prison....

I'm starting to think all this is all about nothing (the plaque is only for kayak mode, and doesn't apply at all in sailboat mode (federally exempt), it's best to just cover it with tape.

FE

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

fusioneng wrote:
If you read the recent Florida (or your own state) laws about capacity plates (just look it up and read it for yourself, don't take my word on anything).

However there may be an out here, according to this article ( https://www.boat-ed.com/florida/studyGu ... 700051208/)
it says according to federal statutes sailboats are exempt from having to display a capacity/HP plaque.

What would work best is just to tape over the plaque (what you can't see doesn't hurt you). Don't attempt to make a new plaque with your own 'special' information on it, I'm quite sure that's highly illegal and you 'will' go to prison for that (Federal crime). However since sailboats are exempt (read the federal statutes yourself (don't take my word for anything), simply covering over the plaque on your sailboat so it can't be seen shouldn't hurt a thing. (probably what I will be doing).

If a DNR approaches your boat, always of course try to outrun them first ( I did that, but they had a 35 ft Scarab superboat). if they try to look for the plaque just state it's a sailboat and exempt (hopefully you will have the plaque taped over). (don't worry you are allowed one phone to call your wife to bail you out).

If I'm wrong, I will be sure to send cookies to you when your in prison....

I'm starting to think all this is all about nothing (the plaque is only for kayak mode, and doesn't apply at all in sailboat mode (federally exempt), it's best to just cover it with tape.

FE

You're right about sailboats being exempt from US Federal rules concerning marine capacity plate requirements. Unfortunately most people will be dealing with their local and State authorities on the water and at the dock. According to the laws in my state, if a capacity plate is present you may not remove it or tamper with it in any way.

Be sure to carefully check the laws in your state or region, don't simply assume it's ok to alter, remove, or even hide the capacity plate, or you may be in for some serious trouble.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

so i see matt chimed in and clearly stated #600 is for amas on and extended, but.....did not address the other question/concern in regards to persons capacity. My girlfriend wants to take her daughters out with us on the Ti but i am refusing since the cap states 2 persons. again, like everyone else has pointed out, hobie marketing shows images of Ti's on the water with 3-5 persons onboard, EVEN two upped in one seat.
Hobie, can we please get an additional persons cap sticker/plate for max. persons with amas on, extended, and fitted with tramps/hakas???
some kind of "update" that even if I had to buy that current owners can display showing we are within mfg. recommended persons with something saying/showing that only applies in configuration "x"????

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I think I will cover mine with 3M reflective tape, to hell with worrying about it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This solves the problem as well as improves the deck:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice!

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

That is ABSOLUTELY the best solution mr. Pro10, you are not “tampering” with a capacity plate, but it is YOUR boat to put any kind of safety stick-‘em stuff anywhere you see fit. I will order some this week.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

i like that, i flat decked my last jon boat and used the SBT 3M diamond plate and it was super comfy and kept temps down too. i'm betting one sheet outta do a TI.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 12:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

pro10is wrote:

This works as long as the water patrol hasn’t already inspected another TI and knows there should only be 2 people or 600 lbs Maximum according to the capacity plate. What if the inspecting water patrol officer asked does this come with a capacity sticker ? Then are you ready to lie or say yes and then he asks I need to see it. This situation could get sticky pretty quickly I think. Hobie as a manufacture should not be putting there customers in this situation after this product is shown all over there website with 3 to 5 people out on the water. How hard is it to make a sticker that shows a diagram of the kayak by it self and says 2 people and 600lbs maximum and below that a picture of the kayak outfitted with outriggers and tramps and it says 5 people and maximum 1000 lbs ! This just doesn’t seem like it would be that hard to make happen !

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 12:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

HobieMirager wrote:
pro10is wrote:

This works as long as the water patrol hasn’t already inspected another TI and knows there should only be 2 people or 600 lbs Maximum according to the capacity plate. What if the inspecting water patrol officer asked does this come with a capacity sticker ? Then are you ready to lie or say yes and then he asks I need to see it. This situation could get sticky pretty quickly I think. Hobie as a manufacture should not be putting there customers in this situation after this product is shown all over there website with 3 to 5 people out on the water. How hard is it to make a sticker that shows a diagram of the kayak by it self and says 2 people and 600lbs maximum and below that a picture of the kayak outfitted with outriggers and tramps and it says 5 people and maximum 1000 lbs ! This just doesn’t seem like it would be that hard to make happen !

I agree, I did this out of sheer desperation because I had already been turned back before due to the capacity sticker and I didn't feel Hobie was ever going to do anything to resolve the problem (I still don't, this has been an issue since at least 2011). If I get stopped and questioned and the marine enforcement officer knows what he's doing, I'm toast. But it's the only thing I could think of so far.

It puts me in a very uncomfortable situation. Lately, I've been thinking about just selling it and buying something with which I can legally take out my family with no hassles. That would be a shame because I otherwise love the boat.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next