Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

First let me me say thank you to all who offer their help and advice. I have watched endless YouTube’s but still find myself in need of some answers. If you would kindly share your thoughts it would be appreciated.

Questions as of my 2nd trip out in 2016 Hobie TI
Situation: I live in SW FLorida and mostly need to use boat pass(s) waterways to access the Gulf of Mexico. I took my wife and kids out the other day on “calm seas” 1-2 feet waves and 5-10knot winds. Boat was probably exceeding weight to be honest, which i won’t do again. The situation is this: We were heading back to the boat ramp, the waves were pushing us into the pass, but it was an outgoing tide. The water is very unstable in these passes based on the stronger currents and multiple boats coming in and out. We were having hard time making progress with turbo kick fins and torqueedo mirage drive motor. The waves were surfing us and driving nose and ama’s into the water which is a bad situation, then sort of stalling us, not uniform water and the worst kind based on my years fishing from an outback.. but i really couldn’t go at a 45 degree angle because we were in the pass (the highway of incoming and outgoing boats), basically have to go straight in and straight out. Waves were coming over the side of the boat and back and the front and sides as well depending on wave. The boat was full of water in the mirage drive area but probably not more than half gallon in the hull once we got home. Even if we hadn’t exceeded weight limit, the water would have pushed us around and been coming overboard. :shock:
Question:
1. I know we exceed weight which i wont do again but coming in and out of the passes seems sketchy with higher and stronger waves as solo or with someone else on boat. Any advice on how to do this? The water is all mixed underneath pushing or pulling, the current and waves pushing into the back water can create any kind of weird water.

2. Should I try to come into or exit pass faster or slower? It seemed if we slowed down the waves crashed over the back of TI and sides?

3. Will the Hobie TI sink if the seat and mirage areas are full of water but most of the water is staying outside boat? I couldn’t even bilge pump the water out because of the amount coming over the sides and back would fill the hull if i opened a hatch.

4. Should i pull rudder and mirage drives and use paddles that way there is no current underneath pushing and pulling the boat?

5. What about sailing in conditions where water is filling seat and mirage drive area, is the Hobie TI meant to do that ? Is it safe?

6. Is it necessary to rinse hobie sail after each outing? If yes can i put away wet or do i need to wait for it to dry? ALso, do I uncleat the sail from the mast? I am talking about the little rope used to keep the sail on the mast. I usually get home right before dark so unsure if I should wait for sail to dry?

Thanks so much

2018 Hobie Pro Angler -SOLD
2019 Hobie Revolution -SOLD
2017 Hobie Oasis -SOLD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:26 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The Hobie Tandem Island, properly equipped and with proper experience (practice!) can safely navigate the passes to and from the Gulf of Mexico in SW Florida. I have sailed the passes many times including Caxambas, Fort DeSoto Bunces, and many others. Rigging the TI for "Offshore / Coastal" conditions is strongly recommended, key to these are safety equipment, life jackets, EPERBs, foul weather gear to limit hypothermia, Marine radio (water proof and floating), safety lines on the Almas. Another key element is an external engine to supplement propulsion (in addition to the mirage drives / sail). I use the 2.5 HP Suzuki gas outboard. Works great in the difficult passes. The early torqueedo mirage drive motors (~1 hp), in my opinion do not provide enough thrust in these most challenging tidal passes where the current and waves and sometimes the wind can all be against you. The newer Torqueedo and other electric motors in the 3 HP class should provide sufficient thrust and power to get you safely through the passes.

See response to your questions below in Bold text.

See my youtube videos for many examples of passes and shoaling conditions in both the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic Ocean with the Hobie TI.

Question:
1. I know we exceed weight which i wont do again but coming in and out of the passes seems sketchy with higher and stronger waves as solo or with someone else on boat. If sailing in challenging passes or off shore it is important not to overload the TI. Any advice on how to do this? I sail solo near 95% of the time. No issue shooting the passes. Do need to be on top of your sailing game! The water is all mixed underneath pushing or pulling, the current and waves pushing into the back water can create any kind of weird water.

2. Should I try to come into or exit pass faster or slower? I try to shoot the passes with steady speed - going quickly. This minimizes time in the danger zone and keeps steering control. It seemed if we slowed down the waves crashed over the back of TI and sides? Going slow increases time in the danger zone and you can lose steering authority.

3. Will the Hobie TI sink if the seat and mirage areas are full of water but most of the water is staying outside boat? The Hobie TI is a tough boat and will not sink if the mirage areas are full of water. The Hobie Islands do have a design flaw with the front hatch that will take on water into the main hull. Need to carefully monitor this. The TIs will sink if the main hull fills up with water (water entry can occur from a) front hatch, b) stern drain plug left open, c) crack in the hull, d) round hatches not fully locked down, rudder control line exits in stern). I have experienced all of these while on the water.... I open the circular hatches several times during my sails to check on any leaks. I couldn’t even bilge pump the water out because of the amount coming over the sides and back would fill the hull if i opened a hatch. I keep a hand bilge pump mounted on the exterior stern jof my TI for rapid emergency access. I do not recommend trying to pump out in the middle of a pass run. Recommend pumping out prior to and after a pass run.

4. Should i pull rudder and mirage drives and use paddles that way there is no current underneath pushing and pulling the boat? NO. Keep the rudder down and use the mirage drives, the sail and an external motor (> 2 HP recommended) for added thrust. I normally use all three at the same time to maximize speed and control. Worst case.... you are fighting a strong current and wind and waves.... I normally roll up the sail and just use the external motor and mirage drive.

5. What about sailing in conditions where water is filling seat and mirage drive area, is the Hobie TI meant to do that ? Is it safe? Yes - no issue, the water will self drain out. I do this all the time....the most fun sailing conditions!

6. Is it necessary to rinse hobie sail after each outing? Best if you give the TI hull a fresh water rinse if you are sailing in salt water. If you can't rinse the whole TI, definitely rinse the drives and the click and go mounts. If yes can i put away wet or do i need to wait for it to dry? OK to put away wet if needed, dry is best. ALso, do I uncleat the sail from the mast? No need to uncleat the sail from the mast. I am talking about the little rope used to keep the sail on the mast. I usually get home right before dark so unsure if I should wait for sail to dry? I typically roll up the sail at the ramp and stow it in the sail bag. Works fine. The sail is mostly dry most of the time and I do not rinse the sail.

Bottom line. The Hobie TI is a fun boat to sail and can take rough conditions (with limits) in passes when properly equipped and with experience in sailing in these conditions. Strongly recommend testing your skills in passes when the currents are not at their maximum. I also recommend good planning so you can "go with the tidal currents" where you can.

Thanks so much

Hobie TI 2016 - Offshore rig - Outboard - sold
Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold
Hobie Outback - 2008 - sold

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the detailed reply Jim, I am in Naples FL and seems you are familiar with the area. Sounds like I need more power to control speed. I have launched Caxambass and the width has made it a safe pass that I have regularly taken my Oasis out of with only mirage power several times. This last pass was Wiggins Pass (By Delnor Wiggins State Park). It seems to have a narrow pass and shallow ground on the right side raising the wave height and wondering if that’s why I struggle with it. I am thinking of using Bayview boat ramp to get out to Keewaydin Island which is one of my favorites. Any chance you have used Wiggins pass and confirm that it is or isn’t a more troublesome pass than others? Any :D thoughts on Bayview boat ramp and that pass that takes you to keeywadin? Anyway with that speed are you staying :D ahead of the waves pushing you from behind? I have owned Hobies for years, but TI is new to me. I have only rolled once when the waves was too fast and strong surfing my nose into water and turning me sideways. Any chance you want to meet up so I can see your rig and motor as well as sail? Also thanks for info on sail, i hate unfurling it and rinsing it. Is it generally accepted the salt water doesn’t hurt the sail and therefore do not have to unfurl and rinse each time, or is that just your practice? I typically set boat back up sail and ama’s with trampolines so i can spray sail and tramps. I always rinse boat and trailer, and all equipment with fresh water. thanks Jim…
PS do you have any videos of you navigating pass with suzuki?

2018 Hobie Pro Angler -SOLD
2019 Hobie Revolution -SOLD
2017 Hobie Oasis -SOLD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:58 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

We love our Hobie Islands but they are what they are, and they’re not what they’re not.

The answer to your question is to either beach launch and recover or time your outing with the tides.

Maybe you feel adventurous and really want to test the limits of man and machine then you could put the sail up with a barber hauler if you have a nice tailwind but I personally wouldn’t recommend that.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:57 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Agree - TIs are what they are....need to be aware of the limitations (and advantages).

Per questions from Salty_Sway....
- I am back in PA now.... not in Florida but planning to return to the Florida Keys next spring (2024).

- I have not sailed Wiggins Pass... mostly around Ft. Desoto, Marco Island, Port Canaveral and the Keys

- I have posted many videos on surf launching with the TI (including several failures and successes). A few with the outboard

- I do a fresh water rinse of the drives, seats, and the TI at the end of each day when sailing in saltwater (which is my norm). I typically do not rinse the sail..... I do occasionally sail in the rain (including 7+ hours in the rain a couple of days ago in Chesapeake Bay....the sail got a deep rising!

- You can find my videos on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/@seewind

Hobie TI 2016 - Offshore rig - Outboard - sold
Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold
Hobie Outback - 2008 - sold