Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A few questions
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 1:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Long time catamaran sailor here, considering switching to an Island. My Getaway is becoming more difficult for me to set up, although once I'm on it, I have no problem sailing it. I also have a Sunfish that is quick and easy to set up, but my lessening agility makes it harder for me to maneuver around the boat.

1. Tandem or Adventure (I've found a good deal on a couple of used AIs)? I like to camp-cruise on the Great Lakes. For solo sailing, is the TI a lot to move around (in the water)? Will the AI handle the waves and chop of the Great Lakes?

2. If soloing the TI, do you sail from the front or rear seat?

3. Have there been any significant improvements to the boats over the years if I choose to buy a used boat? Any major model year improvement that I should only consider boats after that model year?

4. Pretty wet boats. Has anyone made, or does any company make a sort of spray shield over the cockpits?

Thanks for your advice!

Too many canoes and kayaks

Post subject: Re: A few questions
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 12:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Cat sailers go for speed, a AI or TI will be slower remember that, but iff you go for fun on the wather the ai/ti both will do great

the ai will do the same wather as wel as a ti but they are not made for white wather
I sail the north sea with my ai on calmer days can’t tell you about the great lakes, it is a “bit” to far away for me
They say the ti is very well to handle solo in the wather but on land is another thing the ti has a lot of weight to handle solo. Camp/sail both boats will do it very well, i drive to sweden each year to camp/cruise for 2 weaks without any problems
Rear seat
Pre 2015 is a totally diffrent boat ai and ti
Pre 2015 you allways sit in the wather with your behind, 2015 or newer you sit above the wather
Pre 2015 smaller sails
Mirage drive has improved over the years

I prefere 2015 or newer
Dodger, made by hobie

Sorry for the typo’s, english is not my first language (not my second either)
Have fun on the wather!
Peter

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 10:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks, Peter, you answered my questions very well.
I've seen the North Sea. Yeah, any boat that can handle that can handle the Great Lakes!
Camp cruising Sweden! Hey, I am a "Peterson" so maybe I should expand my travels!

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 1:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The north sea can easely be to much for an AI or TI, i only sail there when the sea is calm
The beauty of the netherlands is that there are enough lakes within an hour drive
Most ofthe times i sail my AI at “grevelingen” lake at the south-west side of my country

Peter

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 6:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

dorienc wrote:
Long time catamaran sailor here, considering switching to an Island. My Getaway is becoming more difficult for me to set up, although once I'm on it, I have no problem sailing it. I also have a Sunfish that is quick and easy to set up, but my lessening agility makes it harder for me to maneuver around the boat.

I have also phased out my cat and mono speedster due to setup and agility issues. One big gamechanger for Hobie kayak sailing is the drive, so you can always get back to launch without a motor (but maybe stronger legs).

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 5:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Bob,

TI Owner (older, nearing 70) from Milwaukee area. I also owned a Sunfish in the 1970's. Here's my perspective:

1) I prefer TI's capacity and versatility over the AI. I have no issues soloing the TI. The key is a good, preferably lightweight aluminum, trailer. Most people look for 2015+ models with the vantage seats. I have a 2014 model with the soft seats, which I like because it is easier to hike on hakas or tramps. 2012-2014 TI's are solid boats that have most major bugs worked out, so I would not overlook a good deal on one. Pre-2015 AI's have less hull volume than newer versions and don't quite sail as well.

2) The boats are wet. Maybe even a bit more than a Sunfish. Spray skirts and tramps help, but if the wind is up, expect to get wet. In the TI, the front person (often the wife), can be a human splash board.

3) Performance of a TI is closer to Sunfish than a Getaway. Note: Sunfish with a race sail and composite foils are sneaky fast. The Mirage drives are great for leaving and entering the dock area. The last 100 yards to the dock can be a slog with a Sunfish when the wind does not cooperate.

4) I've got my arrival-to-splash time launch sequence down to about 15 minutes, about the same as my Sunfish.

5) I've sailed on Lake Michigan multiple times when the water is warmer. I have also completed the Texas 200 & Florida 120. These are multi-day camping sailing raids There are a couple of recommended "hardening" mods before venturing on these type of activities.

If you are so inclined, you are welcome to drive north for a trial sail on my boat to see if it is your cup of tea. Let me know if you are interested.

Gary
2014 yellow TI
1984 Hobie Hawk RC glider

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 1:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks, Gary!
I had rotator cuff surgery a month ago, so I'm feeling a bit helpless. I'm almost 70, too, in a few months.
Part of the reason I have a Getaway (Had H17s before and loved them) is to pile on grandkids. Hasn't happened much the last couple of years, we'll see how this summer goes, both with my arm and kidlet participation.

I've camp-cruised the Apostle islands and the Slate Islands in Canada with the Sunfish and the Hobie, looking to also do the Manitou Islands this summer. It seems like a TI would be perfect for that, pedaling instead of paddling, with sail and spin when wind is good.

Thanks for your kind offer! I usually sail in Wisconsin, especially on the Lake off Milwaukee. I just might take you up on it!

Since I posted the first, I've looked into the stuff for the TI, the tramps, forward spray shields, and the cockpit dodgers. I do have a drysuit that I use when the water is cold or I'm far out on the big lakes, so I guess wetness shouldn't be a problem.

Sunnies are way underrated! I sort of sneered at them, then I was given one. Fun boat! I have a deep draft race sail and an AeroSouth-clone rudder. Like you say, sneaky fast. Keep it level, weight back and get on plane and it sails way above what you think it should.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 2:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Bob,

I feel your pain. I had shoulder replacement surgery last year. We can compare scars.

One good thing about the TI is the skipper (you) is not required to do any heavy lifting -- only to steer with the left hand.

The offer will still be good when you are feeling up to it. The Manitou Island adventure sound pretty bold & epic!

Gary
2014 yellow TI
1984 Hobie Hawk RC

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 3:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Good day,

I am on Lake Huron in Tobermory, Ontario and had an 2009 AI for one season and now a 2019 TI for one season. Both were terrific in a great lake - with wind! It handles waves so easily that I can be out when other motor boats are not. I routinely sail to the islands around Tobermory and have learned to chose where to go based on wind direction. When it is rough I control speed by furling the sail and actually have had my top speed with it furled considerably. I've been to all the islands around Tobermory except for Bear's Rump... maybe this year. I need at least 15km/hour wind to even think about going out because I'm in a bay and have weird wind patterns until I get out into the open water.

The AI was MUCH easier to haul in and out, easier to use as a kayak. The TI benefit is the two seats, two pedals, larger sail area. Certainly the newer features between the 10 years is amazing (better seats, Mirage Drive pedals, dagger board set-up, etc.). Water levels are all over the place on Lake Huron and down this year which will make getting the TI in the water much more difficult. I have both sets of wheels for it and with a rocky shore neither are that great to get it in without two people lifting over the rocks.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

dorienc wrote:

2. If soloing the TI, do you sail from the front or rear seat?

!

I have not sailed solo, so this might not be the best answer. But the centerboard control lever is only available from the forward cockpit. Everything else can be controlled from either cockpit. I'm a 200 pound, 6' man, and I always sit in the rear cockpit and my wife or adult daughter sit in teh forward cockpit. I just explain the centerboard to them.