Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thats what I find with the TI main, it just doesn't provide any propulsion at all in really light air 3-5 mph. It just wave around. The only forward motion I get is from peddling. A real bummer for me because in order to buy the boat I promised the wife I would use it as my exercise program and promised to pedal it 15 miles a week. I thought I was really getting over on her because the boat has a big ole sail, making the task a breeze. The first few times out I set my gps then just rode around till I ticked off my 15 miles. Problem is the typical wind around here is 3-7 mph 10 months out of the year (didn't see that one coming lol). The first few times out I was out there 8-10 hrs, and actually think I suffered heat exhaustion a few times (It's really hot in south florida btw).
Finally figured out how to fake the main into doing work just like you describe, where it works but shouldn't in the 3-5mph winds, it no longer just flaps like a flag. Now I get my 15 peddling miles done in a couple hrs by cheating by any means possible. As long as I show the wife the gps logs she is good, I held up my end of the deal anyway (true story).
FE

I've posted this video before, but it describes pretty well, the conditions I'm usually in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW62S1_RfYQ