Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

despite my new vs used thread, I just put a deposit on a new 2015 (left over) TI!! I am going Saturday to pick it up. ultimately it was the idea of sitting in a puddle of water that pushed me into a new one.

SO... who, on the gulf coast of fl, wants to go sailing?!?!!?

2018 AI2- Dune

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Congrats on the new (ish) TI!

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hate to bust your bubble but it was only the old AI wereyou sat underwater, wasn't a problem on the older TI's. The seat on the older AI's was below the waterline, on the TI's that was corrected and the seat was above the waterline. You won't be dissapointed the TI is a great boat and buying new gets you two full years of warranty, and free from any issues, personally I prefer to buy new when I can (we are on our 3rd TI now).
You will love it.
FE

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

the puddle was in regard to taking a wave or spray over the bow, not scuppers below the water line. at any rate, I do feel happier to have a new boat the I can screw up myself vs buying a boat someone else has already screwed up :mrgreen:

2018 AI2- Dune

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We have had our TI up at crystal river several times, we are scuba divers and dive off the TI. It's the perfect boat for that area because you can do the big water with the sails and AMA's, then the next day kayak all the skinny water in the area, best of all worlds. You will especially like the TI in kayak mode, I feel it's the best and fastest kayak in Hobies fleet, just glides along with little effort on skinny water.

Actually last weekend we were camping at Oscar Shear state park, I wanted to go out in big water but had to go under some bridges and thru some canals to get out. But first I wanted to kayak the skinny river in the park so I dropped the sail pulled the AMA's in and peddled around. With the AMA's folded in there is some drag from the AMA's but I discovered if you tie a rope to the AMA's and pull it tight you can pull the AMA's completely out of the water (there is enough play in the AKA joints). I was kayaking around as if the AMA's were not on the boat at all (no drag). Obviously you still have the weight, but weight is not an issue with the TI's, even in kayak mode they can haul a tremendous amount of weight with very little speed penalty.
After quietly kayaking around in the skinny water (had a blast), I went out to the big water dropped my motors down opened up the AMA's put the sails up (the sails are super easy to put on and off in the water), I went out and hot dogged for the rest of the afternoon in big water. When it was time to go back I put the sails down, raised the motors, and pulled the AMA's back in then snaked my way thru the canals under the bridges then back to the campsite up the river, I had an absolute blast.

I'm pretty certain there is no other boat on the planet you can do all that with. For those who know the area I went all the way from blackburn point down to the Venice jettys and back, had really good wind (13-15 mph from the south). I will definately use that new found trick again for pulling the AMA's completely out of the water.
I suspect your goin to have an absolute blast with your new TI, perfect boat for the area. I recommend getting the Hobie tramps, with them you can take the whole family out, or load down with coolers and whatever you need to have fun that day. The TI is truly an SUV that works well at any task you put it to.
Good luck
FE

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

you pretty much outlined the main reasons I wanted it. my catalina 22 draws to much to sail around here, so I have to drive 1.5hrs to sail (or motor almost 2hrs out of CR). the TI will allow me to sail 10 min from the house. It will also be great to throw on top of the truck when we go camping. Right now we bring the outback and my wifes SUP but she doesn't always want to paddleboard... cant wait!!! too bad the forecast is for a high of 50 with winds of 20-30

2018 AI2- Dune

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

btw, here is my camping set up back when i had a gheenoe, just picture it with a dune TI and that will be us now

2018 AI2- Dune

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

here is a pic from the maiden voyage:

and the next day I modified an old sailboat trailer I had to hold the TI

now to start modding. last night I order kayak bob spray skirts and today I went to the local dealer and ordered a cover. coming up will be tramps and rod/gear holders. the plan is (hopefully) to start working our way towards EC 2017.

2018 AI2- Dune

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

photobucket seems to be down so my other pics aren't showing and the ones I took today cant be uploaded. here is a video though. I tried front vs back seat at least half a dozen times and, when solo, I think I prefer the front seat. its a MUCH smoother ride, just wetter

https://youtu.be/nS3v3ZR_uUo

2018 AI2- Dune

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great video!

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Awesome! I'm waiting for mine to come in. It's supposed to be delivered in Feb.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There is a place in Tampa that makes tramps and spray skirts, I saw it on another thread. We have always used the tramps on ours. They are a great place to store misc stuff as well as extra people. Added benefit is you stay way dryer with the spray skirts and tramps especially this time of year in the frigid water (gulf is currently around 65f).
Actually that cold water kind of sucks around here (Tampa area) because you have to dress for immersion (ie... Wet suit/dry suit, etc) for safety reasons but when it's 75-80 deg out and sunny you boil in those suits. (Dry suites are pretty useless if unzipped and wrapped around your waist (lol)). I have a shorty wet suit that I store behind my seat that I can put on in the water if needed, or if I get cold I just slip it on. We prefer to go down to our key west place this time of year where the water seldom gets below 76deg. I still carry the wet suit and wear it when we are diving and snorkeling down there. In the winter I seldom go out up here in Sarasota unless it's 75deg or higher and sunny in the winter and always stay close to shore and around other boaters this time of year, no crazy stuff way off shore (lol). Actually we like to come up to your area this time of year kayaking the skinny water and the springs. I think pretty much all the springs are 72 deg all year round.
You are really gonna have a blast with your TI.
FE

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

you are dead on about having to dress for water temp while air temps are way higher!!! no fun.

we are about to walk out the door to try the TI in kayak mode on the rainbow river...

Bob, next time yall head up this way let me know, I would love to meet up.

Also, I knew about the tampa tramps place but I have read small things about issues with their buckles (I think it has been resolved though) and that they are harder to tension. these small issues coupled with the fact that I really wanted gray and it appears all they offer is black has led me to stick with hobie brand tramps. my kb skirts are scheduled to be here Monday!!

2018 AI2- Dune

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hawk232,
Congrats on your new TI! My wife and I bought ours back in June and we've had a blast. We plan on getting up to Crystal River with ours soon. I love kayaking around Kings Bay so sailing should be great.

As far as the tramps, I'm getting to ready to pull the trigger on after market tramps from Tampa Catamaran. They are half the price and others on this forum say they're great. I have tramps on my AI and they help you stay a little dryer. I understand Hobie is coming out with new dodgers for the TI, thats what my wife is waiting for! (she sits in the front and blocks all the cold spray for me)

Great video by the way. I recently bought a GoPro Session and mounted on top of the mast, pretty cool shots but I still have to do some editing before I post it. I'll put it up on Youtube with a link when I'm done.

You should come down for the weekend to watch the start of the EC. I plan on attending Friday to watch everyone set-up and go through inspections, then return for the start on Saturday. Bring your TI and we can sail around Fort De Soto after they launch. I'm not ready for that race, yet.

John

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

John,

I have been considering going down there to watch the start, so consider it done. I just wish I hadn't waited so late so I could book a site at ft Desoto. My wife and I are tentatively planning to do the EC in 2017...

It was some of the petty problem comments in your thread that, when coupled with the bigger reason of really wanting gray, I decided to just stick with the Hobie tramps.

If you head up this way, let me know. I am always looking for an excuse to go out.

This video was just taken with a canon waterproof camera, I still haven't made the move into gopro yet.

2018 AI2- Dune