Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Jim great seeing you on the beach this mornin'!
Nice vid of Jim showing his launch using the new Spin.
The other TI never deployed it within eyesight... they obviously were not well experienced as Jim is!

Don

P.S. I intend to respond to the second part of your post in a separate thread as it diverges from this thread's intended subject...

2005 Outback Red
2011 Adventure Blue converted to an Island
2015 Tandem Island Red

E-mail: [email protected]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Back to the issue of the rear line potentially tangled by the batten, in an earlier post Fusioneng mentioned a possible workaround with a PVC pipe "... or you can do like I did and run that rear stay line inside a piece of 3/8 pvc water pipe (the pvc prevents the stay line from getting tangled)."
Is any picture of this solution available?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pete, I am drawing from my prior sailing experience, rather than specifically the Hobie kit (which I do not have yet).

If you sail closer to the wind than the sail is designed for (I guess ANY sail actually), the leading edge will begin to curl, which would initially require pulling in the sheet, to flatten the sail. This however is of limited capability given that any sail requires some "belly" in its shape to work.

Alternatively, if you steer more towards downwind, the sail will return to its more efficient natural shape, and life on board will calm down considerably.

Should you ignore the signs being sent to you by the spinnaker, and continue to steer "up" (ie further away from downwind), the spinnaker will start to flog violently, shaking the boat and (probably) scaring the bejeesus out of any inexperienced crewmember on board!

Bottom line Pete, (except in huge high wind scenarios in which case the sideways force on the spinnaker and mainsail could cause a capsize or threaten the integrity of the mast), trying to sail outside Hobie's suggested parameters will begin with gentle warnings, so common sense will prevent things escalating.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tonystott wrote:
Bottom line Pete, (except in huge high wind scenarios in which case the sideways force on the spinnaker and mainsail could cause a capsize or threaten the integrity of the mast), trying to sail outside Hobie's suggested parameters will begin with gentle warnings, so common sense will prevent things escalating.

Hope this helps.
Yes, that helps a lot.

Thanks.

(anybody want to buy a slightly-used AI SpinKit?)
eMail: [email protected]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Once the spin kit is installed and all the lines are run, can the sail be snuffed, the main wrapped around the mast, and then mast removed and layed on the hull - same as without the spin kit?

i.e. What effect does having the spin kit have on the time it takes to rig/de-rig the AI?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

PeteCress wrote:
Once the spin kit is installed and all the lines are run, can the sail be snuffed, the main wrapped around the mast, and then mast removed and layed on the hull - same as without the spin kit?

i.e. What effect does having the spin kit have on the time it takes to rig/de-rig the AI?

I just started looking at my kit. I am no expert. But, my guess is "yes". Regarding your second question, I "Truck top" my TI, and the additional work I see during launching is routing the lines... The main sail lines are all along the main hull, so, they are always pre-routed, while the Spinnaker lines run along the rear Aka bars, so, the main difference I see, is that the Spinnaker lines need to be re-routed everytime you mount the aka/amas. Probably another 5 or 10 min. or so during launching.. After memorizing the routing and doing it a few times, I guess it should come fast and natural as part of the launching routine..

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had my Reacher installed this morning. Yes you can snuf the reacher, then furl the main, lift and lay the main flat. I disconnect my aft ama bungee and fold the aft aka forward when trailoring. I can still do this with amas to the side without disconnecting anything but the mast head assembly which I then tuck into the snuffer. I leave the snuffer connected but lift it into the hull and off I go. Deploying should be relatively simple. I have pics and a video to post soon. When you have it down it adds about 2 minutes to launching and packing up. I leave the reacher's sheets in the cleats.

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

Last edited by vetgam on Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Does anybody have a SpeedPuck or other speedo?

If so, it would be informative to know what the speed diff is between sailing with/without the spinnaker deployed in the intended wind range.

i.e. Sailing along with spinnaker, note the speed, snuff the spinnaker, note the speed.... repeat a half-dozen or so times ....

The Brass Ring would be if Stringy gets a SpinKit and he can compare the speed diff between adding the spinnaker to an AI and sailing with a TI sail on an AI in spinnaker-friendly air.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Stringy, if you ever get to carry out the comprehensive comparisons, can I suggest that the most accurate measure of performance can be shown by taking selfies of your grin. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Otherwise, I think Pete is looking for someone to carry out wind-tunnel tests... Pete, can I suggest that you would have way more fun adding the Hobie spin kit to your AI rather than mucking around buying a TI mast. Stringy already has a TI, so he didn't face the considerable cost of buying a TI mast and sail.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tonystott wrote:
Otherwise, I think Pete is looking for someone to carry out wind-tunnel tests... Pete, can I suggest that you would have way more fun adding the Hobie spin kit to your AI rather than mucking around buying a TI mast. Stringy already has a TI, so he didn't face the considerable cost of buying a TI mast and sail.
My gut says you are correct - especially since, as has been noted, the spin kit does not affect rigging/de-rigging time.

But my head says that the TI sail is still attractive because it maintains simplicity and can be used upwind as well as reaching.

Also, an 18" mast tip extension would probably reduce the cost to the same as or less than the cost of a SpinKit...... Used to do that all the time with windsurfer masts until the industry went over to base extensions.

One reservation I have is that perhaps the turn or two of reefing that would be used with a TI sail much of the time might degrade it's already-modest upwind performance. ..... I guess I need to run some SpeedPuck/Compass tests to see what a turn or two of reefing does to my AI sail's upwind ability - not that it's a huge deal with me, who seldom has to get anywhere specific.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tony and Pete,
I sold my AI last year so someone else will have to do those tests. :wink:
I could lend my TI mast and sail to Slaughter or Chrisj I suppose, but who knows when the spinnaker kit will make it downunder?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My spelling and poor explanation made my last post a difficult read. I edited it. Hopefully makes more sense now.

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Maybe the Texas regatta will help to answer a lot of questions about which boats, sails and combinations perform best.

I have to admit, after making a bunch of sail mods to my boat I'm a bit nervous about competing. It would be really disheartening if the boat dosen't compete well. I'm resisting the desire to upgrade to the newer models. I like to hang on to cars, boats until they are relics.

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

vetgam wrote:
I'm resisting the desire to upgrade to the newer models. I like to hang on to cars, boats until they are relics.
Classics! :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

vetgam wrote:
I have to admit, after making a bunch of sail mods to my boat I'm a bit nervous about competing. It would be really disheartening if the boat dosen't compete well. I'm resisting the desire to upgrade to the newer models. I like to hang on to cars, boats until they are relics.
Whether with cars or bikes or surf skis or windsurfing gear or just paddles, I have always entered at the low end and then moved up to "Better" gear.

On one hand, it makes me appreciate the "better" gear more than if I had gone to it first.

On the other hand, quotes because after a certain (rather modest) length of time, I am not at all sure that the fun factor is any different.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 22  Next