Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pete:
I'm assuming you didn't try to put your spin out in those winds. I have a similar spin on my TI (not the Hobie kit) and calculated the horespower it generates in 20mph wind, it calculated to around 50hp. I suspect if you had pulled it out it would have snapped your mast.
As soon as I saw hobies design on their spinnaker I started posting possible suggestions on work arounds to the snagging problem.
The reason being when I first designed mine I had a frightful experience. In those days my upwind capability nowhere matched my downwind capability (kind of a big mistake IMO) so every weekend I would start out on an upwind tack, then always return to harbor on a downwind usually having an absolute blast with the spinnaker (I still contend there is nothing more fun in sailing than flying a big spin).
I was about 10 miles north of the launch when the weather started to change and the winds picked up to over 20mph from the north with some gusts. I wanted to get out of it so I opened up all my sails and was making a beeline back to launch. With my spin the boat easily sailed 1=1 with the wind.
The plan was to scream back to safety then about a quarter mile out side of the harbor, furl the spin and main which under normal circumstances takes under 30 seconds. Well exactly what I've been describing about the stay line getting wrapped around the batton post happened to me and I was completely unable to furl or depower neither the main or the spin. Needless to say I covered that 1/4 mile in no time at all and found my self dodging though all the big cruisers in the mooring field at over 20mph. I fortunately had just designed my automatic anchor system so I was able to drop the anchor. I cut a couple of the lines on the spin to release that, and was finally able to furl the main with the cut off stay line still in it. I had to climb out onto my bow sprit and gather in the spinnaker which was flailing around like a flag. I have to admit a flailing sail can beat the heck out of you I went home pretty cut up and bruised. I never want anything like that to happen again. I'm pretty sure my situation was downright dangerous and always now power down at least a half mile out and parallel to the harbor, not pointing into it (lessons learned). That was around 5yrs ago, after coming up with some of the fixes described I have not had the problem since. Lol other problems like pitchpoling the boat still occur once in a while, but thats my own fault and avoidable if you know the circumstances where it can occur, what I call managed risk/reward. Owning a complex boat is not everyone's cup of tea, 99% of the guys go for simplicity, I just personally don't do well at 3mph, but that's just my own preference, to each their own.
I just don't want to see anyone get hurt, my only reason for sharing.
FE

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Bazinga wrote:
I'm still waiting on delivery, being told May. Maybe there just aren't very many people that have actually gotten out on the water yet? Does any one know how many Hobie shipped to users (as opposed to distributors?) in the initial order?

For me, I was following the Reacher thread. I called up my dealer (Southwind Kayak, Irvine, CA) and asked them to be put on the list to get one. When they were announced, I called again and Southwind shipped me one of the first TI Spinnaker they received. I do not think Southwind received very many TI versions, because they asked me how I liked it. At the time, they said they did not even have one in the store to try it out yet...

I really like not having to go 2 mph anymore ! Especially coming into the marina on a run or a broad reach ! :D

I don't like that I have to furl the main to tack when the Spinnaker is deployed, but, I can live with it. :?

What I really do not like is that I have to furl the main sail to tack even if the Spinnaker is not deployed. So, that means in med winds, I have to decide while launching if I want to put the Spinnaker on the boat and make tacking more complicated (whether the Spinnaker is deployed or not).. :x

Last edited by hjdca on Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bazinga wrote:
I'm still waiting on delivery, being told May. Maybe there just aren't very many people that have actually gotten out on the water yet? Does any one know how many Hobie shipped to users (as opposed to distributors?) in the initial order?

I guess I better not tell you that I ordered mine last week and hope to get it tomorrow (mind you, we ARE just in early autumn here, so it makes sense for Hobie to supply us down under)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Guys, this is just from my imagination, as my reacher kit is not here yet, but I plan to get a piece of 1/2 inch black pvc underground sprinkler tube, and attach it between the top of the plastic snuffer throat and the rear of the bag, just long enough to lift up the rear of the throat to let the reinforced patches get swallowed easier.

I will let you know how it goes.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Bazinga wrote:

I got the tip earlier in this thread that Fast Lane in San Diego has them in stock. They shipped me one to Florida. Great service.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tonystott wrote:
Guys, this is just from my imagination, as my reacher kit is not here yet, but I plan to get a piece of 1/2 inch black pvc underground sprinkler tube, and attach it between the top of the plastic snuffer throat and the rear of the bag, just long enough to lift up the rear of the throat to let the reinforced patches get swallowed easier.

I will let you know how it goes.

I don't have one yet either. Still can't convince my wife to let me spend the money. :lol:
But I was thinking that maybe the snuffer issues are coming from the throat laying somewhat flat. Maybe something like what Tony is describing would help alleviate that? I'm engineering in my head, but maybe using some of that fiberglass pultrusion that fusioneng is fond of and propping up the throat like a tent pole.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I love that fiberglass pultrusion stuff. I travel alot for work (different city every week). I was staying at a hampton in near detroit and they had a bunch of those pultrusions lining their driveway, it was everything I could do not to grab a bunch and stuff them in my suitecase, of course I would never really do anything like that but the thought did cross my mind, those might be signs of an addiction problem (lol).
They were orange 1/4" dia and had the perfect flex I bent one to 90 degrees and it popped right back straight again, just like pulling back on a bow.
FE

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

fusioneng wrote:
They were orange 1/4" dia and had the perfect flex I bent one to 90 degrees and it popped right back straight again, just like pulling back on a bow.
I am pretty sure I have seen them on the shelves of Home Depot.

(anybody want to buy a slightly-used AI SpinKit?)
eMail: [email protected]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

i have the kit installed on my 2015 TI, i have not had the chance to use it yet, been recovering from broken leg, i did however try it in my driveway many times without any problems, i am hoping to go out this weekend, i will let you know how it goes...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

PeteCress wrote:
fusioneng wrote:
I am pretty sure I have seen them on the shelves of Home Depot.

They'll be more common in the snow states. I know I've used them to mark my driveway edges during the winter. I'm thinking a 6" piece on each side wedged under the top of the plastic throat and then pushed up. This would cause the throat to be more upright. You would need something under the other end of the pultrusion to hold it in place like a rubber stopper or something.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I was at Home Depot last night and could not locate the fiberglass protrusions. Asked for help and they said they do not have it. Could have just been the person I talked to. If anyone finds it, please tell us what section it is in and if you get a part number, that would be great.

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

vetgam wrote:
I was at Home Depot last night and could not locate the fiberglass protrusions. Asked for help and they said they do not have it. Could have just been the person I talked to. If anyone finds it, please tell us what section it is in and if you get a part number, that would be great.

Quick search on HomeDepot's website: http://www.homedepot.com/s/fibeglass%25 ... ker?NCNI-5

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:04 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

vetgam wrote:

My local Home Depot has them in the section with the mailbox letters and "Keep Out", "For Sale", etc. signs.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just imagining in my mind 'what would Bob do' if I got one of those spinnaker kits (I tend to do that a lot).
I would take one of those pultrusions (maybe 2.5ft to 3ft long) attach it to the top of the mast topper with two hose clamps (to test it), I would attach only in the center just ahead and just behind the main mast (yes it will bend a little to follow the shape of the top of the mast topper. I would then attach pulleys to the ends so on the front the stay line would come out A few inches further out than the existing pulley (would need to be determined how far still works), then in the back the pultrusion would hold the rear stay line a good 2 ft behind the main mast centerline. This would hold all the stay lines well clear of the mainsail in all conditions. When heavily loaded the pultrusions just bend harmlessly ( like when your snuffing/ unsnuffing the spin), It's not likely you would ever raise/ lower the spin while furling the main.
The pultrusions would then keep a little tension on the rear stay line (keeping it out of the way) even when on an upwind when the rear stay is generally loose (because the mast is bent back, if you don't believe me just look up sometime, that mast rakes back quite a bit at the top).
Obviously the pultrusion would need to be strong enough to withstand the sailing force of the spin when the rear stay is loaded (sailing with the spin), it would be useless if it just bends all the way down when sailing. I would start with a 1/4" pultrusion try it, if it's not strong enough move up to a 5/16" dia pultrusion.
It's just held on with hose clamps so it would be easy to switch out.
If it's any help, that's the way I would attack it based on my experience with the stuff.
If it doesn't work you are only out the $2 bucks for the pultrusion, or you could go steal one of Ti_Tom's from his drive (what's your address (lol).
Kind of funny now, to my recollection thats exactly how I suggested to fix the problem back in march 2015 when I saw the design prototypes at EC, I think I even offered to go get the stuff from home ( we live close by down in Sarasota) to fix it, but he said he would be ok.
FE

Last edited by fusioneng on Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chadbach:
Yea that where I found mine at both the Sarasota and Key West Home Depot's (near the signs). Sometimes I can only find the ones with the big ole reflector on the top, I just saw the reflector off ( I have a whole bag of those sawed off reflector tops if anyone wants em ( lol)).
I'm pretty sure Lowes has them also http://www.lowes.com/pd_88829-37672-840 ... way+marker

FE

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 22  Next