Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:14 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Does anyone have experience reducing outboard shaft length. I bought this long shaft Honda outboard 2.3 two years ago before I bought my 2 kayaks. One Nucanoe and one Hobie TI. I think long shaft is too long for these two kayaks.
Is this something I can do myself? Any parts I have to buy. It looks like they just bolted additional 5 inch shaft at the bottom. I'm thinking all I have to do is remove that extension shaft. That's just my guess. There maybe something inside that need to be cut or replace. I'll ask my dealer. But Just wanted to know if this is something I can do myself. I'm afraid dealer will tell me how complicated this is and must pay $$$$ for days of work.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chances are you can remove the extension yourself. But I'm not sure if the vertical shaft (inside) has an extension, or if they have two different shafts one for short and one for long. I assume their are two different shafts since there are two different part numbers.
I think the part number of the part you need is Honda 41112-ZW6-020 pri; shaft, vertical (s) , I think it's a hundred bucks

You can order it here https://www.partstree.com/parts/honda/p ... 2-zw6-020/

I think the model engine you want to turn yours into would be BF2.3DK2 SCHA - Honda Outboard Engine, Made in Japan, SN: BAVJ-2300001

If you not sure, take it to the dealer, you working on it like that will void all warranty, just FYI. (I think the warranty is 5 yrs)

Hope this helps
FE

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:11 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thank you so much. I have the same thoughts about the inside shafts. I will call the dealer and ask total cost.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:15 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Dealer told me no kit to shorten so I'm stuck so ill just raise my mount by about 5 inches if need be.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

a lot of small sailboat folks like that Honda because you can get it in a long shaft. If you ever go to sell it, I think the long shaft will add some value, at least make it easier to sell.

You dont need an xtra long shaft on a TI but I doubt it would matter much simply having the prop deeper. The force of the prop puts a torque on the mount and with the xtra long shaft the "moment arm" is longer so higher torque for the same amount of thrust.. but also these are very small outboards.. I would guess no problem.. Fusioneng has a line from the hull to the shaft to deal with the torque, maybe if there is any issue, just add that line.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:50 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks Walt. I'll just continue to improve my outboard mount and stop worrying about this shaft.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have the same Honda long shaft mounted about 3" above the gunwale.
My mount goes through the rear trolley tubes and partially blocks them.
At full speed of the engine, I get prop wash into the rear section that then flows into the rear seat.
Not that there is much purpose in running at full speed as it doesn't go faster.
Just something to be aware of re long shaft motor.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Since you already have the motor I would just go ahead and mount it a little higher on the mount. The main thing is you don't want the lower unit dragging in the water when tilted up. We use our motors to get to and from very long destinations, (mostly because the ocean is huge lol). Then sail and peddle around with the motor tilted up once at the island or destination we want to hang out at (we like to snorkel and dive in the keys mostly). Three mph just doesn't cut it with us in the typical light winds we like to go out in, (diving visibility is terrible when it's windy) especially if we have 50-60 miles to go that day.
We have twin Honda's on ours, when tilted up they don't effect boat performance at all.
Think about it the motor only weighs 27 lbs, less than a cooler of ice and beer. At least our boat whether we have one person or two people on board (each 200 lbs) it hardly effects the speed of the TI, actually in no wind we go faster with two people peddling. Yea right as if I could ever get my wife to peddle, she fake pedals (lol).
FE

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Can someone here please help…

I plan on installing a Honda 2.3hp on my PA14 and side mount it just behind the seat, I plan to balance it out with a 15kg battery or weight on the opposite side.

Would you recommend a 15" short shaft or 20" long shaft for the PA14 since the transform to keel length is 20" inches? I am inclined towards the long 20" Shaft...

I only fish saltwater and never in shallows except for when launching from the beach.

I only require it for trolling hard plastics @4 knots or 6kms and not for maximum speed.

You thoughts please would be much appreciated as I plan to buy my motor shorty and I am sure this topic would help others too.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:50 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I suggest you first finish your mount and then bring the kayak with the mount in the store to fit the outboard.
Or post your mount here with some measurements o others with experience can help you fit the right size outboard.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don’t know if this will help, but for a while we had 10” pitch surface props on the twin short shaft Honda's on our TI, so I had the motors mounted way high on the TI, (with surface props half the prop is out of the water).
Since the boats are so wide, (ours is over 12ft wide) having the motors mounted that high didn’t seem to effect
Stability of the boat. Though that would likely cause stability problems on a monohull kayak, (like a PA, center of gravity would be way too high).
So in other words if you wanted to raise the motor mounts about 5 inches, with a long shaft motor, (so the motor sits higher), it’s likely not going to hurt anything on a TI in my opinion.
We are mostly in the ocean with our TI and with the short shaft motors at their normal height (about 6-7” above the gunwale is where most everyone ends up), when in surf and waves the motors go completely underwater fairly often as the waves pass over the boat, ( thats the nature of the beast). Having the outboard mounted higher, (aka long shaft) might help with that, though having the short shafts bury under waves once in a while doesn’t appear to hurt anything, ( they just starve for air and quit, but they start right back up afterwards). Actually we have never had both of our motors starve out at the same time, ( the boat goes just fine on one engine, just way louder).
My opinion is if you run the shafts way deeper in the water,(aka long shaft motors very deep), it might create a lot more drag and make it more difficult to launch and retrieve, and operate in shallows, (just opinion and feedback from first hand experience).
All just opinions...
Hope this helps
FE

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you. I only fish saltwater in Dubai, UAE and never fish in rough weather and barley have any waves or surf most of the time.

According to the photo what do you guys think of the mount. this is a Short shaft engine. I think its just right but its the first time here a motor has been installed on a Kayak.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:55 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The best design so far. But with your welding skill and access to the right tools you can make the mount pad adjustable in height. Looks like other PA owner can use/copy this design with no welding skill using Nuts and Bolts. Again very nice.

Heres one mount which allows you to adjust the height i think...

https://www.ebay.com/i/382087383292?chn ... 0904336199

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks guys.. I had the best experience today with the Honda unbelievable... everything was as planned and just perfect.

Here is a video, if you need to see something in particular let me know and ill take a photo or video if that part.

https://youtu.be/V7NqWt5k2X8

[youtube]https://youtu.be/V7NqWt5k2X8[/youtube]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great looking, well designed mount with remote throttle and fuel. Ingenious!
It is a long way back from your seat on the PA and you’ve come up with a clever solution. The Honda with its centrifugal clutch looks to be a good choice for this application ...one less control (forward/neutral) to modify.
Very impressive Rapala! 8)