Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello everyone. I am planning on purchasing a 2016 Tandem Island next month but I have not yet had an opportunity to sit in one. I currently pedal a 2014 Adventure (not the Island version) and I am a big fan of the amount of seat to peddle leg room. For those of you that have had an opportunity to try both can you tell me if the seat to peddle leg room in the TI is at least as much or more than my Adventure? I am 6’ 3” tall and I am hoping I will still be able to stretch out.

I currently sail my Adventure with the small Hobie sail and the inflatable amas. It is a lot of fun and I am looking forward to moving up to the big leagues with the TI.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I don't know about the Adventure, but as for leg room in the TI it should fit you nicely. At 6'5" with a 36" inseam, I've been in both the front and rear seats of my 2016 TI and can honestly say I fit fine. I probably could use another inch or two of leg room or one more notch on the mirage drive adjustor, but with the recline on the seat, and pedal adjustments I comfortable have sailed 6+ hours with no discomfort. There is plenty of leg room with my feet off the pedals I can stretch out straight legged, but when pedaling I could one more notch. We tall folks are used to making adjustments for our legs, but with the TI that will not be necessary. If in doubt I'd suggest you either rent one, or ask around here if there is someone near you that would be willing to let you ride along to be sure it's for you. That's what I did and don't regret driving the couple of hours to see what this TI mania was all about. Now I'm hooked!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Sound – Thank you for the information. From your experience it seems like I should be o.k. in the TI. Is the leg room the same in both positions or is one shorter than the other?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I own a 2011 adventure kayak, 2010 AI(same cockpit as adventure) and a 2015 TI. By far the TI has the most leg room. When I'm on the TI I have to adjust the peddles back toward me 2 notches than what I I use on the adventures. Tons of leg room!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Yakaholic71. It is great to hear about the leg room. I have always had to use my pedals in position 7. It will be nice to maybe be able to move them back a little for a change.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Trust me and everyone else on this forum when we say the Hobie Islands are a great overall boat/kayak, you won't be disappointed with the new version. I have noticed the price increase from the 2015 to 2016 though, hurry up and buy one before they increase again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Mine will be coming in with my dealer’s next Hobie shipment sometime in April. I can’t wait. :D