Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just launched new Ti in minor surf and at one point got distracted and allowed a wave to turn the boast sideways and port ama hit sand in 2 ft of water. After sailing for 2 hours, I noted on beaching that port aft aka is bent slightly and forward one is bent and cracked linearly along the bend into the ama. I'm amazed the boat did so well, but I assume I need to replace both fore and aft akas. Anyone else have this happen? Seems like a minor trauma but it may cost me over $US200.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I haven't bent or cracked my akas, but I have tapped the dock at the boat ramp and snapped the shear pin. I'm surprised you did break the shear pin when it hit the sand. Maybe because it hit side on instead of front/back the force wasn't in the right direction to break the pin?

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I don't know why the shear pin didn't break. We pedaled around for 20 minutes when all of a sudden the left from aka pulled out of the cross brace right at the pivot hinge. I had a hell of a time getting that to reseat. Had to pound on it with the palm of my hand, and it eventually clicked into place.

Hobie dealer where I went this AM says he has never heard of an aka bending or breaking like that. He has sent details to Hobie to see what they think.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:51 pm 
Site Admin

The pin is more likely to break with a fore / aft impact. You hit sideways. The pin is not designed for safety release in lateral loads.

Not surprised that you bent something. Sideways in surf... weight of the boat and crew being pushed by hundreds of more pounds of water force to sudden sideways impact on the sand.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Strappe wrote:
Just launched new Ti in minor surf and at one point got distracted and allowed a wave to turn the boast sideways and port ama hit sand in 2 ft of water....
Yup. That's just how fast it happens. Just be thankful the sail did not dig in and do further damage.

BTW, anything not bolted down on the boat can be catapulted overboard in the surf zone, adding to the confusion and embarrassment. (Think flying fishhooks) :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Myself and others have experienced similar issues with the aka's cracking and bending, but not just on the TI's, on the AI's too. Stress lines have been spotted over the outside of the bend on AI/TI's that haven't been bashed around in adverse conditions.

I'm starting to think that since they upgraded the outriggers in length, Hobie should have strengthened the aka's too!!

This is a photo of a stress line that has formed on my AI's Left front aka.

This is a photo of a stress line that has formed on my AI's Left rear aka.

This is a photo of my AI's Right front aka, there is no stress line, but there is some inwards deformity in exactly the same location as on the others, (noting that it must be a manufacturing fault as its exactly the same location if you where to put them all side by side).

This is a photo of my AI's left front aka knuckle, the aka tube has considerable play inside the knuckle that has caused the retaining rivets to come loose.

2015 Hobie Adventure Island in Golden Papaya "Sail-Fish"

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I cracked one of my front Akas was out in 30 to 40mph winds full sail on my 2016 adventure island 10 months old. and it went over in 18' of water waves were small though when I uprighted. And first time I ever flipped it. I notices my shear pin had broke I took it down to the dealer to check everything out because my one Akas wanted to drag on the ground with the cart the dealer looked it over and did just find rivets were really loose and they called hobie do suggested fix they decided to drill out rivers and replace with bigger ones since the holes were enlarged from metal to metal contact chewing away at the aluminum. They handed one back to me and that is when I noticed the crack on the Akas they told me that hobie will not warranty it and better to just call in to the manufacturer and ask how that happens I sail it when it's windy it is after all a sailboat but did not hit anything but water. I will try to get replacement warranty one by calling hobie customer support

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

"30-40 mph with full sail" That's impressive, and I'm not surprised you broke a shear pin with insta-capsize. Where are you located? You can put your location on your profile, so we know where you are located easily. I'm curious why the waves were small in 18' of water with such strong winds? What was your source for the strength of the winds?

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I call BS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:24 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Stress lines have been spotted over the outside of the bend on AI/TI's that haven't been bashed around in adverse conditions.

Fyi... extrusions are created by pushing material through a die. The core that creates the hollow center is held by pins, so the material has to flow around the pins and re-attach / fuse together on the exit side of the die. These die lines are often visible.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:29 am 
Site Admin

Jamespwhobie78 wrote:
I will try to get replacement warranty one by calling hobie customer support

Sailing in winds higher than locally rated small craft advisory levels (they vary by region and body of water) is taking a personal risk that can not be condoned by Hobie Cat. This is not a warranty issue.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)