Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Trampoline use
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

200# + here, I can't imagine not using the tramps, especially in stronger winds. not too wet if you get your weight close to the aka. also nice for just hanging out. although I'd love to try Terry's spine-boards, can anyone provide a link?

hakas seem like the perfect application for dropstitched pvc, like inflatable sups.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We have tramps on our TI and we often have people on them. If you don't do any re-enforcement they do sag down a little and yes some splashing goes on, however the entire boat is set very low in the water and wherever you sit your going to get splashed.
On our boat we just ran some simple para-cord from the front AKA to the rear aka in 5 places straight back at each clip. This prevents the tramp from sagging as much and increases the carry weight considerably. Simple mod easy to do, works just fine for us, if we don't plan to hike out we just don't connect the re-enforcement strings, but they are always there if we need them.
FE

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You can find them all over on the web, try these

http://www.amazon.com/Iron-Duck-35850-B ... B00SH1OH26

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just about to buy a 2017 TI. Can't wait to sail with grandkids, family and friends. So i want to use trampolines but noticed fusioneng's use of para-cord to reinforce for extra weight (up to 300#?) and prevent sagging. Any pictures or additional ideas? Thanks, Stoney

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ours were older TI’s, with weaker tramp clips. Around 2014 hobie came out with stronger/larger clips, ( that be retrofit on older tramps easily).
There really is nothing else needed, just put them on and enjoy, (rinse and repeat, lol).
We strengthed our tramps because we mostly used our boat offshore scuba diving the coral reefs mostly off key west, (where we had a home). We walk around our tramps with 80-90 lbs of scuba gear and weights on, which is beyond their capacity of around 200 lbs.
If you pull the straps tight, the tramps don’t sag too much. Yea you get a little wet pretty much anywhere on the boat especially in the ocean.
FE

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the help. Just curious as to how you tied the paracord around the forward aka under the tramp (which appears to be fully sleeved around the aka)? I guess i could also run two diagonal paracords under the tramp from the four aka corners?
Stoney

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On ours we just poked a hole in the tramp with a solder iron and installed brass eyelets on the underside. Survived 5 yrs of extreme use, ( 10x anyone elses use). Never had a problem.
The parecord is just a slip knot/cinch knot combo, (like a hangmans noose) around the front aka bar, ran straight back under the tramp looped around the 3/8 pultrusion. After putting the tramps on via the normal clips, If I was planning to walk around on the tramps I would wrap the other end of the paracord, (with a cinch knot on the end) around the rear aka bar then slip into stainless s-clips that I put over the 3/8 pultrusion, (one next to each regular tram clip), the s-clips were like $.75 cent ea at home depot.
I also had a paracord wrapped and tied around the rear aka hul brace, then ran at an angle to the outer front aka brace, wrapped around the aka bar then slipped over the front aka button via a cinch knot on a short length of grey hobie rudder line, (I can put a half dozen different things on each of those aka buttons, all on top of each other).
Sometimes we added another cross paracord from the front inner to the rear outer, (forming an X). But we only added the last cord when doing extreme offshore high speed stuff, (not normally neccessary).
Both my wife and I could walk on one tramp at the same time with no issues, (well over 600 lbs). Our AKA bars were also heavily strengthened and modified.
We also had heavy duty spray skirts on both the front and back that we could sit on, that reduced splash in heavy seas, I could hike out on the rear spray skirts. We seldom ever bothered to use the rear spray skirts, (only in winter, (january only)).
Keep in mind all our TI’s were massively hardened and modified, and not really a TI anymore, (highly specialized human/ hibrid tri powered craft, (not a sail boat anymore).
99% was totally un-necessary for normal use, and not recommended.
FE

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was 260#, and did break one of the plastic buckles with a poorly placed knee but I love laying out on the tramps and steering with a tiller extension which I rigged to the forward steering handle of my 2015 Tandem. The odd splash was refreshing during our muggy Great lakes summer. Now that I'm a svelte 240 I can't wait till next summer and many hours of lake Huron cruising.