Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trampoline use
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a 2014 AI and use my boat mostly for sailing. I do not carry a lot of gear as most excursions are for 3 to 4 hours at a time. I am wondering if trampolines are really used for hiking out when the wind blows up or not. I would be interested in others views of their use for hiking out. I do not wish to buy a set only to find out they are of little use for sailing by keeping the boat balanced.

Post subject: Re: Trampoline use
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dosen't look like you got a response on this. I weigh 200 # and can't hike out on them. I don't know anyone that does. Maybe if you weighed less than 160#. Otherwise they are nice for minimizing splash when water temps are cold. Tramps with kayakingbob's sprayskirts are ideal combination for that.

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For hiking out, you may want to look at making Haka.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the replies guys. Not much of a handyman(to make Hakas).
From what I can gather, after watching countless videos on these forums, most guys seem to stay in their seat and furl the main when the wind gets up.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I hike out on mine and I weigh 230#ish. But, yes like KayakingBob said, hakas would probably be best for this. I also use mine to haul around the kids.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I weigh approximately 165 lbs and use mine to hike out. I concur that if I weighed more the sag would be less comfortable as the water will splash up under the tramps.

I like to put my dog on them, and they are good for gear.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:38 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm 215# and sitting out on a tramp is sure to result in a splashed backside for me. I do like the tramps for carrying gear, etc but have just mounted hakas and find that they're far better for me when the wind gets up.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

First off if I had to guess 95% of TI owners would never hike out, they prefer to stay in the seats. Most only use their boats either single or tandem. Darn few take their boats far offshore. And even less start adding additional sails and auxillary propulsion.
The vast majority of the owners out there are perfectly content with the boat as it comes from the factory, it's quick and easy to setup and launch (especially from a trailer). What most do is just fold the ama's in, lay the mast on the hull and pull the boat on the trailer, ready to go for the next adventure. This typically takes 5-10 minutes and you off and running. There is a lot of value in that considering most every other sail boat out there takes around 30 minutes to setup and launch with some much longer.
Even though many complain about the weight of the boat, fact of the matter is the TI is half the weight of it's closest competitor (Windrider 17).

The biggest plus with the TI is it's mirage drives (no other sailboat on' the planet has them).
If you have ever been out when the wind dies on any other sail boat it's a long very hard trip back to launch with just a paddle.
As Hobie says there is no day you can't go out on a TI, "no wind,,,, no problem".
I used to have a sunfish, and you wouldn't want to be out on that boat in 20mph wind unless you are very athletic and expert at handling the boat, even then the likehood of capsize is pretty high.
The TI with it's furlable sail makes the boat much more friendly even in higher winds and if you furl the sail in there really is no need to hike out, this is the direct opposite of every other sail boat out there, as all use the occupents weight to counteract the sails (AKA,, hiking out).
We used to have a SeaRay powerboat and several kayaks, but have sold all the others now in favor of our TI which is our SUV boat that we can use for anthing we can think of. With the tramps you can easily take out 2 adults and 3 kids when the need arises. We use ours for mostly snorkling and scuba diving off of Key West, sometimes we will have 6 people snorkling and spear fishing off the boat (not too far from shore, and only in very calm conditions (winds below 7mph). Obviously we had to strengthen our tramps to be able to walk around on them with scuba tanks and full diving gear on (around 300 lbs each).
Everyone is different and use their boats for different things. In our case we are out on our boat most weekends year round. We bought our first TI in spring 2010 and have never taken the boat out without the tramps on (not even once), we consider the tramps as just part of the boat. But that's just us, to each their own, in my mind the tramps are key to giving the boat it's amazing versatility. What's really cool is they weigh hardly anything, and if you don't feel like putting them out, you can just leave them rolled up on the front AKA, just in case.
I have nothing against HAKA's, but nobody sells them and you would need to make them yourself, I'm perfectly happy with the tramps myself, and as I said we have never taken the boat out in 6 yrs without them deployed.
We are mostly offshore and with the tramps and spray skirts we seldom get wet, (the boat sits very low in the water).
Hope this helps
FE

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A lot of this depends too on if we are talking AI or TI. I was referring to an AI when I gave you my weight limits. I can sit on the tramps of a TI but the butt eventually gets wet.

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I can't hike out on my tramp.
Might wake up the dog :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Waggers00 wrote:
Thanks for the replies guys. Not much of a handyman(to make Hakas).
From what I can gather, after watching countless videos on these forums, most guys seem to stay in their seat and furl the main when the wind gets up.
Wag, it takes no real skill to order a set of spine boards and bungie them on.

Personally, I like to stretch. Anything that gets me out the wet cockpit is a good thing. Tramps included. Visibility and sailing are better out there. The boat will wobble less, side to side and hold the wind better. Tramps are great for kids, dogs, and landing fish or supermodels.

Of course, pedalling is good for you too. I find I have plenty of time in the cockpit to work my legs, on a normal sail.

I have not sailed with the new Hobie lawn chair, but I suspect I would like enjoy that too.

Do whatever feels good to you. But try hiking out. There's a reason 99.9% of the worlds sailors do it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Waggers00 wrote:
I have a 2014 AI and use my boat mostly for sailing. I do not carry a lot of gear as most excursions are for 3 to 4 hours at a time. I am wondering if trampolines are really used for hiking out when the wind blows up or not. I would be interested in others views of their use for hiking out. I do not wish to buy a set only to find out they are of little use for sailing by keeping the boat balanced.
I made a single tramp for my AI.

The intent, once the water warms up, is to try sailing the AI in outrigger canoe mode (i.e. only one ama) - hoping for a little feeling of "Flow" balancing the sail against the lifting ama.

Here-and-now, I am glad to have it partially because it makes single-blade paddle storage slightly more convenient - but mainly because it provides for a more foolproof deep-water re-entry.

THree features I incorporated into mine:

- Webbing construction to reduce the heeling moment in heavy air.

- Narrow enough to provide an open area between tramp and hull wide
enough to stand in when walking the boat and to allow paddling when necessary.

- 1.5" snap connectors instead of the stock 1" connectors - because when I tested 1" connectors they broke too easily under my 220# of lard.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipP ... JaRW5TYzBR

One thing that I have not seen mentioned is mast stress. .... With operator seated normally, it would seem that stress on the mast is limited by the bouyancy of the amas. .... Too much stress and they start submarining - preseumably well before mast failure.

OTOH, with somebody hiked out on the a windward tramp, that person's weight is added to the ama's bouyancy and it would seem that, with enough weight, the mast could be broken in the right gust. ..... Maybe somebody with actual experience can comment on this notion....

(anybody want to buy a slightly-used AI SpinKit?)
eMail: [email protected]

Last edited by PeteCress on Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I must be the exception, We love our tramps, she hikes out almost every time out, the weather is warm here most of the time, 15 knot winds, she will jump from side to side to balance the boat, also when beached I enjoy laying on the tramps for a short nap
As for camping, well we will load sleeping bags, tent, chairs, fire wood, everything you could imagine for 1 or 2 nights

I also have Hakas, 2 blue spine boards which match the Dune 2014 Ti, they also add 200 lbs of flotation each
I feel to each his own, I have never regretted my decision to buy the tramps

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

uspmd1 wrote:
I must be the exception, We love our tramps, she hikes out almost every time out, the weather is warm here most of the time, 15 knot winds, she will jump from side to side to balance the boat, also when beached I enjoy laying on the tramps for a short nap
As for camping, well we will load sleeping bags, tent, chairs, fire wood, everything you could imagine for 1 or 2 nights

I also have Hakas, 2 blue spine boards which match the Dune 2014 Ti, they also add 200 lbs of flotation each
I feel to each his own, I have never regretted my decision to buy the tramps

i'm right there with ya, my wife loves to hike out while i drive to keep the boat as level as possible and she is not afraid to get wet doing so, we also love to take naps on them when the wind is slow, and the added area is nice for handling larger fish such as salmon or steelhead with a lesser chance of loosing them.....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:39 pm 
Site Admin

I too use the tramps to hike (currently 220#)... both on single and tandem. This is what they were designed to do. Not for keeping dry.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)