Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

During the practical part of yesterdays upwind sailing event it was evident that whilst we mastered the upwind sailing technique, some of our members didn't manage the tacking bit so well and boats were going all over the place. To help with this I have written a basic guide on the technique used to tack a Tandem or Adventure Island without using the mirage drive. I prefer to sail my Tandem with no drive or the front drive in place but locked to act as a centre board. The page can be printed out if you want to re use it.

Please do not reply with negative comments, this is method works but might need a few goes at to get it right. If all else fails Peddle. But if you want to enjoy your island like I do without the mirage drive it works. It is definitely that tiny bit faster and feels slipperier. I love it. I will do one in gybing next week.

http://www.seqic.com.au/general-information/tacking-hobie-islands/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great write up! A few grammatical errors but overall well written. Thanks!

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for posting this useful information !
Chris

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

TI_Tom wrote:
Great write up! A few grammatical errors but overall well written. Thanks!

Looks like it's written in Australian so I think it's correct grammar :wink:

Thanks for this spook I'm going to practice it next time out!

Rob

2014 TI Papaya
Aussieonyak Haka mods
GaryInWI seat mod
Yangler tiller extension
KayakingBob Aka tether
Polytarp Jib

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

TI Tom was correct it was full of typos, so much for my proof reading. Thanks Tom.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Spook wrote:
TI Tom was correct it was full of typos, so much for my proof reading. Thanks Tom.

Spook I hope I didn't come off as some pretentious English teacher, of which, I am definitely not. I also know there are some language differences between Aussies and us Muricans ;) . Just looking out for you after the crap you took in your sailing for noobs thread.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Once again, thank you for taking the time and effort for us newbies. Much appreciated

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Spook - useful information there, thanks and some handy tips on flatting in, and easing after the tack to build up speed again. I have been sailing my Revo 11 with my kids on the back deck and its certainly different to a dinghy. We are picking up our TI in a week or so and really looking forward to getting out in it as a family (though its getting cooler now).

I'm busy absorbing all the stuff ion your site.

Two suggestions if you don't mind - it's pedalling rather than peddling; and lose all power rather than 'loose'.

smith

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the tips. I have always been too chicken to remove the Miragedrive, and I guess my fear of awkwardness in tacks is almost self-fulfilling, as the fins will tend to slow the TI through irons unless flapping, compared to the relatively smooth insert.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I watched a video of a guy sailing a TI one-up and I noticed he had his feet set up to hold the Mirage fins flat against the hull (ie one forward, one back). Would that be to reduce drag, since the centreboard counters leeway (on my Revo I keep the fins straight down at act like a centreboard, since it seems to sag to leeward if they are up) and if so, would that help tacking without pedalling?

I test-sailed the TI in light winds on Jervis Bay and it stayed nicely without pedalling.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

smithcorp wrote:
I watched a video of a guy sailing a TI one-up and I noticed he had his feet set up to hold the Mirage fins flat against the hull (ie one forward, one back). Would that be to reduce drag, since the centreboard counters leeway (on my Revo I keep the fins straight down at act like a centreboard, since it seems to sag to leeward if they are up) and if so, would that help tacking without pedalling?

I test-sailed the TI in light winds on Jervis Bay and it stayed nicely without pedalling.

I can't see how having the fins flat against the hull could be more efficient in tacking than either removing them, and fitting the blank, or holding them in a vertical position (I cannot imagine the latter really offering much help against leeway as the trailing edges "windvane" due to the stiff spine up front and flexible rubber fins.)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

tonystott wrote:
smithcorp wrote:

I can't see how having the fins flat against the hull could be more efficient in tacking than either removing them, and fitting the blank, or holding them in a vertical position (I cannot imagine the latter really offering much help against leeway as the trailing edges "windvane" due to the stiff spine up front and flexible rubber fins.)

So, Assuming that you want to pedal some of the time while sailing, which is the best "at rest" position? If you use the provided bungee attached to one arm, it will be up against the hull when "at rest". I'm thinking it probably really doesn't make a whole lot of difference either way??

Hobie tramps- black

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great work with that guide Spook! 8) What you have described is exactly how I have learned to sail the TI, with the exception that I always hike out if the wind is strong enough.

Re the Miragedrive in/out debate ...if the wind is strong enough and I can sail faster than I can pedal (around 6-8km/h) then I always pull the drive, fit the plug and purely sail. The TI tacks much better than the AIv1 (don't know about AIv2?) but both boats tack better if the pedals are removed, assuming of course you are not pedaling.

Someone on this forum years ago described pulling the unused drive as like releasing a handbrake and I found the same.

At speed I hated the fluttering of the unused fins against the hull when horizontal and the extra drag, weed catching etc when vertical.

BTW- Tony, the fins when vertical do offer lateral resistance. We discovered that in the early days when sailing our Oasis with 2 sails. It was very noticeable the difference in side slip with the fins down compared to up against the hull. So much so that I used to stick an eyebolt through the adjustment holes to lock the fins vertically. We could then sail into the wind quite well without pedaling. That was until I added a daggerboard, which does work better of course.

The best accessory I've found for improving sailing was adding tramps and later haka to enable hiking out. One of the basic rules of sailing is that a 'level boat is faster'. Hiking out keeps the boat level and minimises drag from the buried ama which = faster! :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

One thing I would add is that you need enough momentum, boat speed, to carry your through the tack or else you will stall and be stuck in irons. I've only successfully tacked without peddles maybe half a dozen times. I can't seem to get the momentum to get through the tack most of the time, but that's why I bought a peddle driven boat. It does take some practice to get it right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

stringy wrote:
Someone on this forum years ago described pulling the unused drive as like releasing a handbrake and I found the same.

Interesting - will give it a try. I have leashes for the drives, so I should be able to stick them somewhere safe.