Return to Hobie.com

Hobie Forums

It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Hobie Island Spinnaker
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:37 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:15 am
Posts: 91
Location: Brisbane, Australia
I have had the new spinnaker kit for the tandem for 3 days day, one day was spent setting it up, the next day was spent sailing in downpours and real poor conditions and the third day in very light winds, below 10 knots and this is where this extra sail comes into it's own. It improves the boats performance no end and can be carried quite high into the wind.

The back stay was always going to be a concern and it is. It makes gybing very difficult, it took me 3 goes to get it unhooked off the top batten. You gave to furl the main sail in, gybe the spinnaker then unfurl the main sail but because the top batten sticks up above the sail it gets hooked up very easily on the back stay.

The other issue is the pad eye system for running the halyard to the back of the boat, as the system is under load and the system is weak at some point the pad eye will pull out. A better system is for the installation of pulleys with proper nuts, bolts and washers, no self tappers, they will just pull out and shred the hull.

And using an Eye Post to hook the sheet around is just wrong. If the spinnaker flogs the spinnaker sheet will come off and you will need to somehow retrieve it and then re hook back on. I have used a simple pulley and you can attach to the Aka with a stainless steel pad eye or as I have done a simple dyneema loop attached to the top eye post that the shock cord attaches to from the Ama. Works very well, no holes and removable with ease.

I have documented everything so far and as usual please only positive comments. All in all and great addition to the boat. More ropes though.

http://www.seqic.com.au/how-to-sail-a-hobie-island/hobie-island-spinnaker/

_________________
Sth East Qld Hobie Island Club Captain.
http://www.seqic.com.au


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 3:41 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:58 am
Posts: 2802
Location: Forster, NSW, Australia
Great to read a positive review and video, Spook. I plan to adopt your suggestions of flying blocks out on the amas (removable when packing up). I will add backing plates to the fittings along the hull, and am tempted to add turning blocks like those used to bring the mainsheet up to the rear block (although I doubt that the two padeyes add much friction when moving the kite halyard).

Have you experienced any wrapping issues when furling the main while the kite is snuffed? I plan to minimise the occasions when I am in that situation (even possibly raising the kite temporarily just to expedite furling the main at the end of the outing, then snuffing the kite - I need to get mine first before experimenting).

_________________
Tony Stott
2012 Tandem Island "SIC EM" with Hobie spinnaker and Hangkai outboard
only cool people follow the (non-magnetic) titanium weight-loss program! lol.)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 6:11 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:24 pm
Posts: 756
Location: Houston, TX
Really nice graphics and write up Spook. Very clear what your trying to do there. The aka blocks are a nice way to avoid drilling amas. They work if your sticking with the Hobie spinnaker sheets. I've grown accustomed to the one sheet idea so they wouldn't work as well as the eye posts for me. But for others, it think it's a better choice.

_________________
Greg

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 6:13 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:30 am
Posts: 391
Location: Clearwater, Fl
Nice review and documentation Spook. It's nice to see others posting on the spinnaker and I completely agree with you about those eye posts for the spinnaker sheets being "just wrong". What I did right away was use some railblazer starports that were mounted to the akas and they work fantastic.

Image

I've finally made peace with my spinnaker now that I have the tangling issues ironed out. I've been using it as a roller furling system that was bypassing most of the Hobie hardware but am slowly re-introducing the Hobie elements. This week I hope to get on the water to test my final modifications which will utilize the snuffer again mounted on the bow with the extended bowsprit and the Hobie traveler. Mainly to store the spinnaker snuffer where it won't be in the way. My custom topper was also modified to be less complicated and should be a breeze to set up for launching.

I agree with you also about the sail. It's really nice and perfectly sized for the boat. And when you get some wind, it's a blast.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 6:14 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:24 pm
Posts: 756
Location: Houston, TX
Jim what do mean by the Hobie taveler?

_________________
Greg

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 6:25 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:30 am
Posts: 391
Location: Clearwater, Fl
vetgam wrote:
Jim what do mean by the Hobie taveler?

The traveler is the Hobie gizmo that has the pulley's attached to the bow (or bowsprit in my case) which drags the spinnaker to the tip of the bow before hoisting it into the air.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 3:32 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:15 am
Posts: 91
Location: Brisbane, Australia
tonystott wrote:
Great to read a positive review and video, Spook. I plan to adopt your suggestions of flying blocks out on the amas (removable when packing up). I will add backing plates to the fittings along the hull, and am tempted to add turning blocks like those used to bring the mainsheet up to the rear block (although I doubt that the two padeyes add much friction when moving the kite halyard).

Have you experienced any wrapping issues when furling the main while the kite is snuffed? I plan to minimise the occasions when I am in that situation (even possibly raising the kite temporarily just to expedite furling the main at the end of the outing, then snuffing the kite - I need to get mine first before experimenting).


No wrapping issues at all. If you pull the sail around as you gybe it comes around easily with out tangles or wraps.

_________________
Sth East Qld Hobie Island Club Captain.
http://www.seqic.com.au


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 3:37 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:15 am
Posts: 91
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Have compiled a basic review for so far

http://www.seqic.com.au/hobie-island-blog/hobie-island-spinnaker-review/

_________________
Sth East Qld Hobie Island Club Captain.
http://www.seqic.com.au


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 6:53 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:58 am
Posts: 2802
Location: Forster, NSW, Australia
Just installed the spinnaker kit to my 2012 TI. Only issue I had was the turning block on the rear deck. The instruction video showed an AI, and of course the rear deck on the TI is a bit different. I finished up putting the block just below the crease. Fitting the washers and Nylock nuts was an exercise in contortion, but all's good.

Hoisted the kite in the backyard (under lights, it took a while!) and it went up as designed. Snuffing was tough at first, as the crispy sail material doesn't want to get in the bag, but I bet it will improve with use.

Out on the water in the morning!

_________________
Tony Stott
2012 Tandem Island "SIC EM" with Hobie spinnaker and Hangkai outboard
only cool people follow the (non-magnetic) titanium weight-loss program! lol.)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 3:22 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:59 pm
Posts: 586
Location: Coffs Harbour, NSW, Australia
Glad I waited by the sounds of it.
I have just had to invent and construct Two extra systems to prevent a possible AKA disconnect and a shearing of the plastic bolt causing fold-back/capsize in normal flight.

I don't feel like fixing their Spinnaker too, I'll wait for the Version2 without the bugs.
Flame away, Skymax.

_________________
Fair Skies, Max.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:49 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:58 am
Posts: 2802
Location: Forster, NSW, Australia
Max, I installed my TI spinnaker kit last night and sailed it today. In my opinion, there is no need to wait for a Mk2 version, as it works just fine out of the box. While I agree with Spook that extra blocks out on the rear amas will improve things, the "studs" provided in the kit work fine (as I used today).

It will take some practice to get things working smoothly (without tramps, my lap soon got filled with lots of different coloured line!), and I expect snuffing the spinnaker will become easier as the sail loses some of its crispness (think 6 fat people all trying to enter a doorway simultaneously LOL), but I like that I can leave it all connected at the end of the day when putting it back on the trailer.

Apart from those blocks, the only mod I am planning is to attach my Windward wind indicator to the mast top, as the Hobie supplied flag is very hard to see from below.

The video posted by Scott Lovig is an excellent example of this new sail. I would recommend getting one if you are prepared to add a little to your sailing workload.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNi5bcWqe1M

_________________
Tony Stott
2012 Tandem Island "SIC EM" with Hobie spinnaker and Hangkai outboard
only cool people follow the (non-magnetic) titanium weight-loss program! lol.)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 5:36 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:14 pm
Posts: 3280
Location: South Florida
At this point, I do not intend to buy a spinnaker, but that video by Scott Lovig was very impressive.

Keith

_________________
2015 AI 2, 2014 Tandem

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:34 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:59 pm
Posts: 586
Location: Coffs Harbour, NSW, Australia
tonystott wrote:
Max, I installed my TI spinnaker kit last night and sailed it today. In my opinion, there is no need to wait for a Mk2 version, as it works just fine out of the box. While I agree with Spook that extra blocks out on the rear amas will improve things, the "studs" provided in the kit work fine (as I used today).

It will take some practice to get things working smoothly (without tramps, my lap soon got filled with lots of different coloured line!), and I expect snuffing the spinnaker will become easier as the sail loses some of its crispness (think 6 fat people all trying to enter a doorway simultaneously LOL), but I like that I can leave it all connected at the end of the day when putting it back on the trailer.

Apart from those blocks, the only mod I am planning is to attach my Windward wind indicator to the mast top, as the Hobie supplied flag is very hard to see from below.

The video posted by Scott Lovig is an excellent example of this new sail. I would recommend getting one if you are prepared to add a little to your sailing workload.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNi5bcWqe1M

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for that clarification Tony, when I get it I will try the stock setup.
I would be happy for any kind of Sailing as I have not managed to get my health and a good weather weekend happening at the same time yet and my boat has sat in the shed for 12 months untried. However I coudnt resist a new AI for 4K and bought it hoping that I could use it one day, certainly wont lose money on it.
Planning a week or Two at Iluka, (near Yamba), in June so if all goes well I will get to do more than just look at it.

_________________
Fair Skies, Max.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 12:19 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:15 am
Posts: 91
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Revision 3.2 is now complete and includes transporting and setting up.

http://www.seqic.com.au/how-to-sail-a-hobie-island/hobie-island-spinnaker/

_________________
Sth East Qld Hobie Island Club Captain.
http://www.seqic.com.au


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 6:34 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:58 am
Posts: 2802
Location: Forster, NSW, Australia
skymax wrote:

Thanks for that clarification Tony, when I get it I will try the stock setup.
I would be happy for any kind of Sailing as I have not managed to get my health and a good weather weekend happening at the same time yet and my boat has sat in the shed for 12 months untried. However I coudnt resist a new AI for 4K and bought it hoping that I could use it one day, certainly wont lose money on it.
Planning a week or Two at Iluka, (near Yamba), in June so if all goes well I will get to do more than just look at it.


Funny you mention health Max. I am going through a chapter in my life which resembles a nightmare! Last time I used my TI was late in 2014.... I took myself to hospital for a very sore back in early January 2015, and the excrement hit the rotating cooling device. Allergic reaction to penicillin, diabetic ulcers on my foot led to amputation of a couple of toes - 4 1/2 months in hospital, 9 admissions int 5 hospitals, and my 2015 was a shocker. 2016 has not started well, as an open wound on another toe is reluctant to heal despite another month in hospital. When it does heal, I have a spinal fusion (and a separate op on my upper spine) coming up (air and ground ambulance costs alone are likely to be around $A 28k). I first had a cortisone injection in my back in 2013, so to finally get it fixed after all this time will be awesome. Thank goodness for private health insurance; I soaked up $80k last year, and expect to equal that this year.

BUT, I WENT SAILING TWICE THIS WEEK, ONCE WITH MY NEW SPINNAKER! WOOHOO!!!

And I have now decided that I will sail just about every day weather permitting (admittedly my body is suffering from shock after vegetating on the couch for so long, but a couple of morphine pills before leaving home helps).

I am as comfortable on land as a walrus (nearly as big as well LOL), so it takes forever at the ramp,. but boy oh boy, that skipper seat is heaven, and it is great to need to apply block out again! The new spinnaker is a perfect"welcome back" toy!

_________________
Tony Stott
2012 Tandem Island "SIC EM" with Hobie spinnaker and Hangkai outboard
only cool people follow the (non-magnetic) titanium weight-loss program! lol.)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
© Hobie Cat Company. All rights reserved.
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group