Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 12:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tonystott wrote:
skymax wrote:

Thanks for that clarification Tony, when I get it I will try the stock setup.
I would be happy for any kind of Sailing as I have not managed to get my health and a good weather weekend happening at the same time yet and my boat has sat in the shed for 12 months untried. However I coudnt resist a new AI for 4K and bought it hoping that I could use it one day, certainly wont lose money on it.
Planning a week or Two at Iluka, (near Yamba), in June so if all goes well I will get to do more than just look at it.

Funny you mention health Max. I am going through a chapter in my life which resembles a nightmare! Last time I used my TI was late in 2014.... I took myself to hospital for a very sore back in early January 2015, and the excrement hit the rotating cooling device. Allergic reaction to penicillin, diabetic ulcers on my foot led to amputation of a couple of toes - 4 1/2 months in hospital, 9 admissions int 5 hospitals, and my 2015 was a shocker. 2016 has not started well, as an open wound on another toe is reluctant to heal despite another month in hospital. When it does heal, I have a spinal fusion (and a separate op on my upper spine) coming up (air and ground ambulance costs alone are likely to be around $A 28k). I first had a cortisone injection in my back in 2013, so to finally get it fixed after all this time will be awesome. Thank goodness for private health insurance; I soaked up $80k last year, and expect to equal that this year.

BUT, I WENT SAILING TWICE THIS WEEK, ONCE WITH MY NEW SPINNAKER! WOOHOO!!!

And I have now decided that I will sail just about every day weather permitting (admittedly my body is suffering from shock after vegetating on the couch for so long, but a couple of morphine pills before leaving home helps).

I am as comfortable on land as a walrus (nearly as big as well LOL), so it takes forever at the ramp,. but boy oh boy, that skipper seat is heaven, and it is great to need to apply block out again! The new spinnaker is a perfect"welcome back" toy!

Crikey, I've got it comparatively easy, nothing worse than a bad back even without all the other stuff.
I know that the 2015 is about 9Kg heavier than my old one so I will not struggle to grunt it wholesale off the trailer anymore, assembling it on the ground is much easier. (Setup time on the AI has never been a worry for me, it used to take a lot longer to set my Hanglider up.)
My new Wheelez cart with 12" beach tyres slips in to place very easily rather than trying to get the scupper cart in while the boat hangs half-off the trailer, Ugh! ;(
Here's to more Sailing for both of us this year.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 3:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The new spinnaker is nice, but there are still too many caveats with its use for me. I'll wait a bit until the kinks are worked out and a more evolved version is ready, with the proper installation hardware that won't interfere with the mainsail. This is by no means a dig at the thing or at those who use it, of course, I'm just not the early adopter type.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 5:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't want to disappoint you, but I cannot think of any major improvement Hobie could make without radically redesigning the whole package.

Here is the sum total of changes I plan (none of which is critical IMHO). Thanks to Spook for the suggestions.
1. add blocks out near the ends of the akas, attached by a loop held in place by the ama bungees
2. Trim the long batten a bit and glue on a new end cap (the old one is too firmly glued to remove)
3. Add a new padeye on the rear deck to separate the mainsheet and spinnaker backstay

On my TI, I have not felt the need to replace the padeyes (Hobie says are optional anyway) with blocks, as the forces on these are extremely small given the line is hardly diverted.

Item 1 is purely a convenience one... if the sail comes off the standard studs, it is easy to put back in place with a notched paddle. Items 2 & 3 are similar, entirely optional, and not necessary for using the spinnaker.

For all that, I certainly do understand why many Island owners might just decide that the spinnaker is too much bother. A spinnaker is, by definition, a more complex sail, as none of the three corners is permanently attached, and there are plenty of Youtube videos of big boats having trouble handling kites... Whatever, as they say, floats your boat! :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 4:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Had the spinnaker in the water today and learned a lot about how to fly the sail at varied angles. I am quickly falling in love with this sail. Just earlier this week, I told a sailing friend that I thought it might be a waist of space because the time spent with the spinnaker up was so limited. Truth was, I just wasn't maximizing its potential like I was today. Today over half the time I had the spinnaker out and the ride was a blast.

Once you get use to using it, the lines begin to become no big deal. You become use to them and the boat no longer feels complex. I'm having no issues with tangles now with the 16 in PVC addition. The sail is staying on my boat. Can't wait to get out again.

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 5:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I found that if you think of the spinnaker/reacher as more of a kite than a sail, you begin to explore different shapes and sailing angles. As I do that I'm finding "hidden" power that was not apparent in the beginning. All this is just my inexperience but others new to this sail will probably find this true.

Relaxing that sheet/halyard and letting the luff cup more can really add, what was for me, an unexpected boost. I still pull the sheet and halyard in tight when on a true beam reach. I could be wrong but in lighter winds (7-10mph) yesterday, I could have sworn I was pointing slightly up wind with the reacher. Not suggesting anyone do that, just saying.

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

– Charles G. Davis

Last edited by vetgam on Sun May 08, 2016 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 6:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How to ruin a good day (well sorta) long story....

Day two with my spinnaker. Weather forecast: 20 trending 35kmh

Start was unimpressive. I ran out of talent hoisting the kite in probably more wind than I should have, and finished up with a rat's nest. Landed on a handy island (my lake is 74km2 in area, with lots of islands), and basically rerigged everything from scratch (more to imprint in my mind which line does what) with much appreciated help from a visiting holiday maker.

Took off (just about literally!) for a very exciting sail under spinnaker alone. I also enjoyed how well the kite worked on beam reaches, although it certainly is best when the wind is over your shoulder. You know you are really moving when the deck stays under water more often than not! Would you believe two hours of mega fun??

Called in to Coomba Park, an isolated village (and despite rumours to the contrary, I did not hear a single banjo!). Some picnickers took pity on this old fart, hobbling along with walking stick and hump back lol) and furnished an icy beverage and cheerful conversation.

Suitably refreshed, I headed out into a windward trek back to launch spot, in freshening winds.

I had a brief opportunity to hoist the kite again, and it was just as awesome. However, when putting extra effort to completely hide the kite in the snuffer bag, I didn't know my own strength and BANG, I broke the aka brace pin (The is a trap for young players eh?).

Fortunately, the broken pin was on the windward side, so no instant dramas, but knowing I need to drop in a new pin, I started thinking of a likely spot to beach the TI, but then I discovered that my mainsheet had somehow jammed down the Miragedrive slot. so I couldn't reef!!!

I pulled the drive, and was shocked to see both fins bent back at a 45 degree angle (AND I DIDN'T EVEN FEEL IT!) well aren't I the finely tuned mariner... not.

So I had no choice but to spear the thing into shore at the first opportunity.

Great! The masthead got caught in foliage of a nearby tree, and got hopelessly jammed. so even when I got the mainsheet cleared, I still couldn't furl the main!

Why do they call it a comedy of errors? I wasn't laughing....

I guess I should add that the sheer pin on the OTHER side also broke while I was stuffing around trying to get out of my predicament.

At this point, I decided that retreat was the best option, so called the emergency phone number (000 here, but 911 elsewhere I believe). I bit my tongue when the emergency operator repeatedly asked for the name of the nearest intersection (it was a frikkin island in the middle of a lake, how do I answer that one???),

I soon got a phone call from the local volunteer Marine Rescue guys, who sent a patrol boat to tow me back to the launching ramp (oh yes, in the dark, something had also jammed the rudder to one side, so I had to raise it for the tow).

So the tow took an hour, and another hour tidying up the mess for the drive home.

Damage? Could have been worse; 2 brace pins, 1 pair Miragedrive masts.

But the spinnaker worked perfectly! :D :D :D :D

Last edited by tonystott on Tue May 17, 2016 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 7:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Lucky you didn't lose your dagger too, Tony. You can thank hobie engineers that it's always attached, unlike my ai.

Moral to the story? Pack many more breakaway pins and refreshing beverages. Maybe a helmet. I'm thinking you should get properly lubricated before the next test sail, rather than after. :wink:

Thanks for posting your experience Bro.

I wasn't really excited about that spinnaker, until I read your review. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great story Tony and I'm so glad you are able to be out sailing again. 8)

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 1:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Postscript :cry: :cry:

At 4am this morning, my shoulder was so painful that there was no way I could get comfortable enough to sleep, so I drove 35km to the base hospital ER. Turns out the initial diagnosis is that I have stressed my rotator cuff tendon, so now have an arm in a sling (which seems to help). The worst aspect is that I used that arm for my walking stick, so I have been watching Monty Python's "Ministry of funny walks" for clues on how to use a walking stick on the same side as the crook leg!

Won't keep me off the water though, and I can still drive the car, even if I can't reach the steering wheel with one hand.

Last edited by tonystott on Mon May 09, 2016 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 1:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey, That's the spirit Tony! Get back on that horse.

To make you feel better, I could post Picts of my broken toe, bruised kidney and arse contusions from trapezing last week, but I'm not sure they would be legal in all 50 states. Anyway, once you hit 20mph, it's all worth it, right? :mrgreen:

Or maybe it's just God's way of telling us old guys; "It's time to get a motor-yacht, Stupid".

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dang. Thats a sailing trip you won't soon forget. Take it easy and heal up Tony.

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chekika wrote:
At this point, I do not intend to buy a spinnaker, but that video by Scott Lovig was very impressive.

Keith

You know Keith, I was thinking about you and your expeditions, and candidly, I reckon a spinnaker kit would be useful on passage making, as it is something you could basically set and forget, only making trim changes with major shifts of wind direction. In fact on (slightly, only 7 feet longer) bigger boats in the past, I have been known to just leave the spinnaker settings alone, and just steer in the direction required to keep the sail drawing. A lazy man's approach I know, but very relaxing! I once sailed for NINE HOURS without adjusting the sail, by moving the boat around under it. The crew on a friend's sister ship, furiously trimmed the sail by hand the whole time, and we gained 100 yards on them in the nine hours, without breaking into a sweat. :D (I should confess though... we made damn sure we caught every single swell that came up from behind us!)

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

From a fellow Aussie TI, hang in there mate and get well soon.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

After sailing with the kite for 3 weeks now I have made more mods which have greatly increased the usage of the kite. Keep in mind I have a TI and these might not work with the AI. Just waiting for someone is the club to buy the new Spinnaker and let me at it.

Changes have been done to the way the halyard runs down the side of the boat. It is very important to keep this as free and fast flowing as possible. A slow hoist can see the foot of the kite pull out of the bag and drop into the water as you are sailing along. The kite then fills with water and could rip.

I have not drilled any holes into the side of the Island. I really do not think we need to ever put anymore holes into these than we really have to. I think after this I have ironed out all the bugs, we have 15 to 20 knots in Saturday so will give it a good run.

http://www.seqic.com.au/how-to-sail-a-hobie-island/hobie-island-spinnaker-kit-installation-guide/

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 5:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Spook wrote:
After sailing with the kite for 3 weeks now I have made more mods which have greatly increased the usage of the kite. Keep in mind I have a TI and these might not work with the AI. Just waiting for someone is the club to buy the new Spinnaker and let me at it.

Changes have been done to the way the halyard runs down the side of the boat. It is very important to keep this as free and fast flowing as possible. A slow hoist can see the foot of the kite pull out of the bag and drop into the water as you are sailing along. The kite then fills with water and could rip.

I have not drilled any holes into the side of the Island. I really do not think we need to ever put anymore holes into these than we really have to. I think after this I have ironed out all the bugs, we have 15 to 20 knots in Saturday so will give it a good run.

http://www.seqic.com.au/how-to-sail-a-hobie-island/hobie-island-spinnaker-kit-installation-guide/

Thank you very much for this excellent information! This is an extraordinary contribution and greatly influenced my decision to buy and use the spinnaker. I will be following your existing and future recommendations closely.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next