Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 2:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Is it just my cart or are the TI carts extreme poor quality.?

I have used the cart around 10 time.

I use a trailer for my TI and load my TI from my trailer to my beach cart.
I ALWAYS unload / load TI from cart direct in Water.. ( beach cart floting )
No stess on cart or TI...
I take extreme good care of my Hobie items..!

The beach cradle is just falling apart..

Sendt fra min A0001 med Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 5:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

impressive in a most negative way! I hope it is just a bad run.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 5:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:
Is it just my cart or are the TI carts extreme poor quality.?

They are poor quality. Mine also started cracking.

Best thing to do is put a warranty claim in with your dealer since that is Hobie's primary way to determine that they have a defective product and implement a product update.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 7:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

$500 price tag, people.

My 2 cents.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 7:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

unfortunately the cradle on these carts are poorly made. Mine cracked the first time using it with my TI. The axle, wheels, and handle are great but the cradle is destined to crack and the padding is also cheap and will fall apart during the first year.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 7:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't have a cart, but I did have the cradles for my trailer. They were cracked by the end of the first season. I always floated the TI onto the rear cradle.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Mine looks the same but it's looked the same for about a year now and I use it three or four times a week and store it on it.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 1:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

OK.. I have sent a mail to my Hobie dealer about the problem.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 4:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Clearly, Hobie beach cart products need to undergo more stringent real-world testing. Like the Aussies do,.. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 4:47 pm 
Site Admin

The cradles are thermoformed ABS. The molds vary slightly... they make several in the same mold cavity and edges can get stretched thin, so likely the issue here. I general these parts have held up well regradless of what seems like cosmetic cracking here. If we were to make from hand laid glass fibers you would be talking another hundred bucks or even more.

I believe they have already addressed the thinned edges issue here.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So what you are saying is that its normal and by design for the beach cart to loose some material. ?

I was just about to write that i havent heard anyting back from the dealer. I have sent my mail with pictures to hobiestore.de and Hobie EU.

Before payment they returned mails super fast.. :|

Plz look one more time at the crack in the middle of the craddle. That is not cosmetic !

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

'Cosmetic Cracking" lol mate u must be spewing, at least you weren't told you had, "Used it incorrectly".

This is why I bought the Wheelez Beach Cart for half the cost and it all fits in the front Hatch, no having to walk back up the beach to stow the Hobie cracking cart.
This my Revo but I use the same cart for 2015 AI https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_WpXlHJkGg

http://www.wheeleez.com/kayak-cart-beach.php

If you get this "WZ1" RAIL KIT for it you wont even need to tie the cart to the hull, just push it under the boat and the buoyancy and grippy foam will hold it in place.
http://www.wheeleez.com/accessories.php

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have to argue with Matts, "claim" that " this issue has been adressed" back in 2016, this is clearly not the case imo.

After less than TEN uses my 2018 Hobie cart started cracking in several places just like these others have. As with others mine has always been loaded-unloaded in the water so no undue stress or dropping onto it took place. It took three months to get a replacement after much frustration, anger and delays. The replacement arrived in a box as it was came from the U.S ( i'm told) with no packaging or protection. This cart was also already cracked in four places and was even thinner and of poorer quality than the original one. I took a micrometer to it and in places it was as low as 0.43mm thickness, the average thickness along one side edge was less than 1mm thick. For a while I thought this flimsy ridiculous thing was some type of shaped protective packaging sent by mistake and not the actual cradle.

To make matters worse the dealer sent for another one (I am told direct from U.S ), this also turned up in the box already cracked. Frankly Matt's claim here is clearly untrue, either that or Hobie have been backsliding on their quality control and ignoring it. Three carts in a row with two of them brand new and unused is evidence enough.

When one pays a five figure sum for something as I did I don't expect made in China quality or service and a load of excuses. I know someone who works for a well known yacht builder who does fiberglassing and will enquire what the cost would be to knock one up. Hobie's mark-up is huge on most things I expect and at this price these things should already be fiberglass or of much more substantial quality, especially as it is meant to be for a app 240ib boat. The cradles sent are not of merchantable quality and are unfit for purpose as they are. Frankly Hobie U.S owe it's dealers (especially the one who had to deal with this ) an apology and reimburse their entire costs along with an apology to their Customers for providing Made in China quality at Ferrari prices.

Step up your game Hobie, I love the Tandem Island but this is unacceptable, especially with the recent big price hikes in the EU !

Last edited by hobieian on Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:38 am 
Site Admin

Clearly still a problem. Thermoforming is not an exact science for sure.

Another was shipped yesterday with significantly more packaging. The last two were clearly freight damaged.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My local dealer has replaced it for me partly at his cost and delay to another customer I think, so I hope Hobie make sure all his costs and troubles are fully covered, he deserves it for having me on his back :-)

Perhaps the molds need to be made bigger or changed so the thinning experienced at the outer edges falls outside of the cradles design area, this way you will be left with thick edges after trimming off the thin stuff? Not knowing how it is made precisely or all the dynamics involved in the process, this is only a guess of course.

Also judging by the pics of failed cradles I have seen and my own, it would seem the outside edges of each arch peak in between each tray is a weak point. Maybe underneath each arch there needs to be a mold change to allow for a big thick bit of enforcing to gather there during the manafacturing process? However the fact the cart flexes under load in a way (to my eye) that pulls the arch bottoms apart slightly and compresses the arch peak will have to be taken into account. Maybe a slightly more pliable plastic? I'm no engineer on plastics so Hobie will have to work that one out.

The new one I received yesterday is thicker and better than the ones sent previously but even that is far from perfect and along the starboard edge the thickness from back to front of the cart changes by at least 50%.

Oh well, problem solved for now anyway, thanks Hobie.