Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Found my Hobie dock
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yakmandu, can you update us on your floating dock? Has it weathered 2017?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just stumbled on this and looks like the perfect solution to keep our tandem island out of the water when tied to dock all summer. We're in salt water though. Wondering how this solution has kept up over time...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That's a great floating dock for the Island!
I actually suggested it to a friend who lives aboard a big powerboat and to keep his sailing dinghy docked right there.

Yakmandu, ever take a GPS comparison with and without the PAS?

Any North American Island sailors use a similar downwind sail that is sold here? I think the PAS is an Aussie product?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My float has been on the water since I first installed it. I need to pull it out and power wash it. The underside has some significant growth. I’ll let you know how well it cleans up. The top side has been exposed to the sun. The finish as crystalized a bit. I’m hoping the powerwashing will clean off the crystallizing. Worst case, I may just flip it over.

Regarding my PAS sail, I have never done any serious GPS testing. I’m guessing that it adds .5 to 1 knot depending on the point of sail. Collecting water when doused is the biggest challenge. I may melt a couple strategically placed holes in the sail with a soldering gun to help it drain. Another option is to add a “sleeve” that I can pull up it when doused. You would be amazed how much water the PAS can hold!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yakmandu wrote:
Here are a couple of pics of my PAS installed on my 2015 AI during this year's Everglades Challenge. It stows easily and does not interfere with my mainsail. The only time I don't use it is when I am close hauled. I am definitely faster than a stock AI with the PAS.

One tip... Be sure to lash the PAS when it is stowed. Otherwise the sail can fill with water while laying on the deck and cause the front end to dive.

Yakmandu

I have a falcon sails 1.3 meter sail hanging on my wall. I bought it to use in my jackson bigrig in one of my feeble attempts in trying to get around buying an AI LOL
well i have been thinking about mounting on the BOW to help with downwind scenarios...after seeing your setup I think I will most certainly mount it now.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 5:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yakmandu wrote:
My float has been on the water since I first installed it. I need to pull it out and power wash it. The underside has some significant growth. I’ll let you know how well it cleans up. The top side has been exposed to the sun. The finish as crystalized a bit. I’m hoping the powerwashing will clean off the crystallizing. Worst case, I may just flip it over.

Thanks for the update! We’d be taking it out and end of season. Be careful with the power washer, I assume it could damage it pretty easily. Maybe just a brush and some simple green?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yakmandu,

What a neat solution for the problem we are facing! We are on Lake Sinclair, and our dock is not floating, but this should work fine. I'm finding these mats in various thicknesses and layers when I look online-- what thickness or number of layers did you use?

Thanks,
David

Post subject: Found my Hobie dock
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yakmandu, many thanks for the idea! This is a game changer for us. We don’t have the ability to take our boat out of the water here and the low tide leaves it sitting in mud. This should really help us protect the boat. Just got it together today. A pic of area at low tide before putting mat down for reference.

Btw, I got the deluxe one. I weigh 185 lbs. def can’t stand on it too long before it starts going down. It’s bouyant and stiff enough to get this job done, but those reading this I’d recommend spring for the Ultra.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

After 3 1/2 to 4 months of sitting in the salt water and that muck during every low tide, we took the boat and the mat out of the water for the season today.

The boat was pretty much clean. The mat, as expected, was a mess. Here’s what the bottom looked like.

After using a power washer and the hard back of a broom to knock the barnacles off, it looked like this.

I was thoroughly impressed with how well it cleaned up. These are close to the worst conditions I could think of throwing at this thing. I was 50/50 it would make it through one season. So I’m very happy with it and it was great solution for our docking problem.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 7:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I would sure like to see a video of someone stepping onto the pad, launching, and then returning. I am unfamiliar with these "party pads" and want to see if an awkward person can launch and dock without getting (too) wet.

Thanks!

Post subject: Found my Hobie dock
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Time for my yearly update. Had the mat in the water this year from June until yesterday. Almost 5 full months of saltwater and low tide muck.

This is what the bottom looked like after we pulled it out. The top portion hasn’t been hit with the pressure washer yet in this picture.

This is what bottom and top looked like after pressure washing and then barnacle scraping with a shovel.

The barnacles are leaving impressions and we lose some foam in those spots sometimes as you can see. But that’s the bottom. The integrity of the mat is fine. This thing is tough given what we do to it. I think I’ll get at least 4 seasons out of it. If not for the barnacles, way longer.