Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TI Ramp Launch
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey, all. I was wondering how far you back your trailer into the water to launch. I have a Jeep, which is pretty tolerant of water, so I feel comfortable backing down the ramp until the boat is practically floating, but I got nervous the last couple of times when I heard the exhaust bubbling. I don't want to put the exhaust pipe under the water level for fear that the back pressure will kill the engine. Also, I had a serious situation with a very slippery ramp recently. The rear wheels just spun and the car wouldn't move when I tried to get out. I had to put the car in 4 WD to get out. Do you suppose it's far enough back to launch if I keep the rear wheels dry?

I know a lot of people solo on TIs. How do you launch? I can't imagine backing up the car, setting the brake on an incline (scary), getting out to get the boat loose, tying up the boat, parking the car, and coming back to the boat.

Post subject: Re: TI Ramp Launch
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It really depends on how steep the ramp is. Shallower ramps require that you back in further steeper and you won't have to go in as far.

The Islands slide off the factory or Trailex trailers pretty easily. As soon as I see a foot or two of the aft end of the boat in the water, I've backed in far enough.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Agree with Tom. I never get the back wheels wet, even though my trailer is extremely short (the hitch is only 12 inches forward of the bow). On most ramps, I ensure the stern is wet, but on steeper ones. I stop reversing when I see the stern start to float.

Retrieving, I tend to back in a bit further, until the front cradle is just touching the water.

BTW, if the ramp looks or has a reputation of being slippery, I ensure that the back wheels remain on the dry surface (2WD!)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:00 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Like Tom says, it depends on the steepness of the ramp. I back down just until the rear of the boat starts floating. This makes it easy getting the boat on or off. On shallow ramps my back tires get wet, but I also have four wheel drive, so I don't worry about it too much.

I usually launch solo, so I do as you describe... Back down, put trans in park, set the brake, move boat off trailer, park vehicle, then off I go. Just make sure you have the brake set and your trans is in park (if automatic)! You don't really have any other options, other than use a beach cart.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My local ramp "rinses" about two cars every year! :oops: :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a pontiac solstice roadster that I use to tow my TI around with locally, and sometimes launch at boat ramps. The car only has about 3 inches of ground clearance, and I have dragged bottom at the top of a few ramps. Most of the time I launch from a grassy area in a local park on city island, problem is because of my low ground clearance I typically have to come in at an angle to avoid bottoming out.
I too never dunk my harbor freight trailer or wheels in the water. I figure the boat is light enough I can lift the bow up onto the trailer, once started, I just attach the boat winch (really cheap one from harbor freight), then crank the fully rigged boat up on the trailer, with the AMA, out, and the masts still up sometimes. I then put one quick strap on (if it's windy or uneven parking lot), then pull into an open area of the parking lot on level ground to break the boat down for transport. I get along with the power boaters way better doing it that way (they don't like us sailers and kayakers much). On a good day I can be in and out of the dock area in under 5 minutes, though having to back in at an angle (ground clearance problem) gets them mad at times.
One time at my usual launch park, at low tide I watched a guy back his jeep into the water up to the axles to get his jetski onto his trailer (salt water), not sure he knew what damage he was doing to his jeep, or he just didn't care.
We had to get the roof replaced on one of our Yukons, because the salt water from storing our kayaks up there destroyed the roof. That salt water is nasty stuff. I'll never dunk my trailer in the stuff ( just sayin)
FE