Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

As a newbie with a TI, I'm hesitant when it comes to wind. Going out in 10mph winds, I'm worried that I might run into problems. I get some good speed going but then furl the sail some to slow down, afraid that I might tip.

Wondering -
1- Can I get into trouble w/10-15mph winds?(i.e.-capsize).
2- Do you furl/unfurl the sail when out, or just keep it unfurled all the way?
3- Is it a good learning experience to just get out in 10-15mph winds and go?

I'm pretty comfortable with sailing the boat on a local lake. Just still cautious about wind.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Caution is a good thing...

We are fortunate with our Islands, in that the amas can provide us not only stability (eg resistance to capsize) but also clear early warning signs if there is too much sail exposed.

In general terms, furl the sail so that at least about 2 inches of the buried ama is above the surface (obviously it will vary more or less than this, but use this as an average). With the sail partially furled to achieve this situation, you will have some stability in reserve, as well as going about as fast as the vessel is designed for.

Adjusting the amount furled during your trip is a logical thing to do if necessary to avoid fully burying an ama.

I don't believe you should "push your luck" while learning, by venturing out in conditions you are not comfortable with. I cannot put a go/no go windspeed number for you, but if you follow my tip about keeping the ama above the surface, everything else will fall int place. Remember though, that the size of waves and their frequency will also figure in your comfort threshhold.

Hope this makes sense!

Last edited by tonystott on Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:09 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

What Tony said. Also, when learning and building confidence in the boat, it's a good idea to keep the main sheet in your hand at all times. If the boat starts to feel tippy, from gusts or building wind, just uncleat and let the sheet run. This will quickly depower the sail and level and stop the boat. It's definitely a good idea to be cautious at first. After you've sailed the boat for awhile, you'll start to learn when you should furl. Depending on how gusty it is, I usually furl in around 10-15 mph of wind, but that's me, and I'm also usually hiked out on a haka, which helps keep the boat level.

Last edited by chadbach on Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks.

I haven't com close to burying the AMA, I've been watching that.

Interesting about the comment of uncleating the sail. I've been pulling it in when the boat gets too fast.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had a scare recently during some gusty 10-15 mph inland lake weather and thought I was going over. I remembered from the forum about holding the sheet
(cleated ) and have been doing that ever since. But I was wondering if you more experienced guys also turn into the wind to de-power the sail or is that just too slow compared to letting the sheet out ?
Thanks
Chris

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Both pulling in and letting out the sail will slow the boat but for those quick "oh no" moments you can uncleat when you need to depower quickly. When going windward, you can also turn the boat into the wind to depower.

When I'm on the edge of comfort, but feel like pushing the boat, I'll uncleat and hold the sheet tight with my hand. Then if I feel like the boat could tip, I'll simply let go of the sheet and the boat will flatten and stop. I'll only push this limit when I'm in a comfortable area of the lake and I have that need for speed, otherwise furling is definitely the wise and cautious option. So use at your own risk!

Last edited by chadbach on Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks. So, while sailing, you keep the sail fully unfurled? If it gets dicey, you uncleat it?

I've been keeping the sail semi-unfurled. If it gets too crazy, I furl it in.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Chris, being in Austin, I'm guessing you get to deal with the same gusty wind that I do! Yep, turning to windward and uncleating the sheet are both good methods to depower. Releasing the sail is quicker though and easier on your rudder pin! There's been times that I've done both simultaneously. I've been on Canyon Lake at times where the gusts are double the normal wind speed. You learn these techniques quick! On those gusty days, keep your eyes, windward, on the water and watch for the ripples. You'll see those gusts coming!

Last edited by chadbach on Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:00 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

CaptainFlint wrote:
Thanks. So, while sailing, you keep the sail fully unfurled? If it gets dicey, you uncleat it?

You're doing it right, furl when it gets crazy! I only keep the sail fully unfurled in lighter winds (up to maybe 10 or 15 mph) and I'll furl in the stronger winds. The stronger the winds, the more I furl. I'll uncleat and let the sheet out if I get hit by a big gust, or if I need to slow down for a short period of time. If the winds are getting consistantly stronger, or if I want to slow down for a longer period of time, then I'll furl the sail a turn or two. Think of uncleating and quickly letting out the sheet, as putting on the brakes. Hope that makes more sense.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Same things here. In winds up to 15 mph full sail. Over that and I start furling. If it's gusty then I will hold the sheet. If I want to depower the boat going upwind sometimes I'll pinch the wind a little bit but not sheet in to match. This makes the sail luff a little on the leading edge making it not produce as much power.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

CaptainFlint wrote:
Going out in 10mph winds, I'm worried that I might run into problems. I get some good speed going but then furl the sail some to slow down, afraid that I might tip.
One thing to keep in mind: if you lose your helm (i.e. the boat starts veering off to leeward no matter what you try to do with the rudder) sheet out the main. ..... That always brings back the helm for me.

My theory is that sometimes the mast bends 'Just So' to move the CE forward, overwhelming the rudder.

(anybody want to buy a slightly-used AI SpinKit?)
eMail: [email protected]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

PeteCress wrote:
CaptainFlint wrote:
Going out in 10mph winds, I'm worried that I might run into problems. I get some good speed going but then furl the sail some to slow down, afraid that I might tip.
One thing to keep in mind: if you lose your helm (i.e. the boat starts veering off to leeward no matter what you try to do with the rudder) sheet out the main. ..... That always brings back the helm for me.

My theory is that sometimes the mast bends 'Just So' to move the CE forward, overwhelming the rudder.

I've had that happen several times on broad reaches where the rudder becomes completely useless. Sheeting out works.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:54 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

CaptainFlint wrote:

If you have not sailed before, furl the sail as much as you need to, to feel comfortable and safe.
As you gain experience and get used to the capabilities of the island, you will find that you will furl the sail in less and use other techniques to control the boat speed.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

if you are a complete neophyte, it would make sense to take a basic dinghy sailing class (or two) that includes theory and as much on the water time as you can get. many parks and recs and local community colleges offer them.

on heading up vs letting out the sheet. heading up may put you in irons or slow you down so much as you lose steerage(the ability to turn the boat using the rudder). making it difficult to fall off to catch the wind again. if you've let out the main sheet, you can just bring it back in to catch the wind. but we always had the pedals which can compensate some for sloppy seamanship.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The sailors adage to remember Capt.Flint...WHEN IN DOUBT...LET IT OUT! That's the advice everyone is giving. If the rudder isn't taking you where you want to go, then it's time to furl in about a third of your sail, but if your sheet (the rope you adjust your sail with) is jammed in the cleat try to release pressure on your sail by turning out of the wind, then flick it up and release the sheet and get stuck into the task of furling that sail.
Another problem you could encounter with waves in a strong wind causing an ama to submerged is breaking the sheer bolt on your brace bar, the short bar holding your aka in position.
Heed all the advice the others have given...they (like me) have all had the crap scared out of them at one time or another, so go with your gut feeling before things get sticky.
Cheers from Ian, now sailing in Victor Harbor, South Australia