Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Has anybody got a compass mounted on their AI-2?

If so, where?

My fore hatch is already occupied by a SpeedPuck.... and the lefthand drink holder is also in use.

(anybody want to buy a slightly-used AI SpinKit?)
eMail: [email protected]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

daft wrote:
Probably not even a plan B, but I bought a pfd whistle with a compass on the end and found it amazingly well behaved and readable.l.
I am looking for something to supplement the SpeedPuck.

SpeedPuck tells me my speed and the compass tb used for tuning my heading for max speed with a given mainsheet setting.....so precision and readability-at-a-glance dictate something larger and solid-mounted.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Isn't there enough room on the bulkhead under the mast? That is where Hobie shows the Richie compass they sell.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Unless cost is a major factor you're better off installing a GPS/Depthfinder combo which will include a highly accurate and stable electronic compass. Moderate to heavy wave action on a TI or AI will cause a conventional mounted compass like a Richie to bounce all over the place and compromise the readings. The GPS will also give you very accurate speed readings, and better units even provide charts and navigation.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

pro10is wrote:
Unless cost is a major factor you're better off installing a GPS/Depthfinder combo which will include a highly accurate and stable electronic compass. Moderate to heavy wave action on a TI or AI will cause a conventional mounted compass like a Richie to bounce all over the place and compromise the readings. The GPS will also give you very accurate speed readings, and better units even provide charts and navigation.
Got a make/model that you like?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

PeteCress wrote:
Got a make/model that you like?

The new Humminbird Helix series gives you the best features for the money. You can get a Helix 5 for around $270 which includes gps navigation and sonar. Also you can now get closeout prices on the 500, 600, 700, 800, and 900 series which were replaced by the Helix series. These are great buys and some have even more features than the newer Helix units. Check out the sales going on right now at at Cabelas. I saved over $400 on a Humminbird 999CI SI with HD side imaging.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I was thinking of adding a large compass, my plan was to attach it to the front hatch lid. The one I was looking at was the Richie fn203.
After picking myself off the floor from sticker shock at the price, I ended up buying 6 whistles with compasses on them and put one in each life vest pocket (yes I have 6 life vests for my TI (lol)).
I have an old yellow garmin etrex hand held gps that I paid $60 bucks for many years ago that I wear around my neck, still working but near end of life.
Once that dies I plan to get one of the big screen jobbies that mounts on the boat with an external battery with a small solar panel over the rear deck to keep the battery charged (it's not like we don't have lots of sun in S Florida (lol)).
The battery will likely go under the rearmost hatch or in the front hatch (haven't decided yet). I may mount the solar panel to the front hatch (if the battery is up there).

I have Isailer on my Iphone with full live charting, in a lifeproof case, and keep one of those extra battery bank things in a dry box (just in case), mostly because I play Itunes and surf the web, and keep up with business email when I'm out (lol). Reminder... Alway furl all your sails when on conference calls with other execs (too many unexplained noises, lol), same applies when working from pool (learn not to splash).
I always carry two sets of led nav lights on board and several flashlights just in case I get caught out after dark again, lol you really need the flashlights in the keys to avoid channel markers at night (I've hit plenty of those (lol)). On a moonless night you literally can't see anything in the keys. Seriously we had to use our key fob for the car to find our car a couple times. Now I always mark a waypoint on my gps when we pull away from shore, and turn around and note landmarks as we pull away (probably wouldn't hurt to snap a pic from your phone as you pull away). Everything looks the same from a distance especially in Key Largo.
Electronics always fail, so I have a nice chart pouch under my seat for waterproof charts (coast guard recommended).
If anyone has been caught out in fog thats a very scary experience, down here it can roll in with no notice (who knew lol). Just finding that dot called Key West can be a challenge.
Actually I've been lost in the middle of Sarasota bay in fog as well, you lose all sense of direction in fog.
I've destroyed several high end Garmin hand helds on the salt water, won't be buying anymore of those (way over priced IMO, they simply don't hold up in salt water (6 months and their done).
Except my old lowest of the low yellow etrex which is still going strong (no longer available (planned obsolescence (lol),,,, it was too good). Believe it or not I keep it in the fridge at home (sucks the moisture out).
FE

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

fusioneng wrote:
....same applies when working from pool (learn not to splash).
Call me a misanthrope, but whenever I'm in the crapper and some guy in there is yakking on his cell phone, I get this urge to flush the toilet.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

you forgot the (lol)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

FE, the cost of basic chart plotter/fish finders is low enough (IMO) to run the risk of needing a replacement every year or two. Any purchased chart micro SD car can be transferred to the new plotter. Having real-time position and course shown on as chart is surely the best fog solution, and even if you never use the fish finder function to actually catch fish, having a picture of the sea bed is a bonus.

My eye-sight isn't good enough to read a compass mounted in front of the mast, and I have my Lowrance plotter mounted about 8 inches in front of the centreboard slot and about 15 inches up from the deck, where it is easy to reach to tweak the controls. While it lives inside a plastic container, the front of the container is cut open so the controls are open. The transducer lives in one of the scuppers at the rear.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tonystott wrote:
FE, the cost of basic chart plotter/fish finders is low enough (IMO) to run the risk of needing a replacement every year or two. Any purchased chart micro SD car can be transferred to the new plotter. Having real-time position and course shown on as chart is surely the best fog solution, and even if you never use the fish finder function to actually catch fish, having a picture of the sea bed is a bonus.

My eye-sight isn't good enough to read a compass mounted in front of the mast, and I have my Lowrance plotter mounted about 8 inches in front of the centreboard slot and about 15 inches up from the deck, where it is easy to reach to tweak the controls. While it lives inside a plastic container, the front of the container is cut open so the controls are open. The transducer lives in one of the scuppers at the rear.

Agreed, chart plotters/depth finders have now become inexpensive enough for anyone to own. They add so much incredible functionality and usefulness that virtually every AI/TI owner could benefit from installing one. Fusioneng, with all the extraordinary upgrades you've added to your TI and your extreme offshore use, I'm amazed and confused why you haven't installed one. If anyone should own one, it's you.

I've never found the need to add any additional waterproofing to any of my chart plotters/depth finders. They all had an IP (Ingress Protection Rating) rating of IPX7 which means they are guaranteed to be waterproof (both salt and fresh water) when completely submersed in 1 meter of water for 30 minutes. My units get splashed quite a lot frequently but so far have never been fully submersed. None have failed. I've had my prior unit, which I just replaced, for 6 years of heavy use with a great deal of water exposure and it still works perfectly. It survived and was used on three different boats including my TI. The only reason I replaced it was to take advantage of a larger screen and the newer (awesome) features.

Adding additional waterproofing such an a plastic enclosure is fine, but not necessary, if you purchase a unit with an IPX7 rating.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:25 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

tonystott wrote:
Isn't there enough room on the bulkhead under the mast? That is where Hobie shows the Richie compass they sell.

I mounted the Richie there, easy, waterproof install, option to illuminate, easy to read between pedal shafts & never had a problem w/readings.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

pro10is wrote:
tonystott wrote:

Agreed, chart plotters/depth finders have now become inexpensive enough for anyone to own. They add so much incredible functionality and usefulness that virtually every AI/TI owner could benefit from installing one. Fusioneng, with all the extraordinary upgrades you've added to your TI and your extreme offshore use, I'm amazed and confused why you haven't installed one. If anyone should own one, it's you.

I've never found the need to add any additional waterproofing to any of my chart plotters/depth finders. They all had an IP (Ingress Protection Rating) rating of IPX7 which means they are guaranteed to be waterproof (both salt and fresh water) when completely submersed in 1 meter of water for 30 minutes. My units get splashed quite a lot frequently but so far have never been fully submersed. None have failed. I've had my prior unit, which I just replaced, for 6 years of heavy use with a great deal of water exposure and it still works perfectly. It survived and was used on three different boats including my TI. The only reason I replaced it was to take advantage of a larger screen and the newer (awesome) features.

Adding additional waterproofing such an a plastic enclosure is fine, but not necessary, if you purchase a unit with an IPX7 rating.

I hear you, but I had a Lowrance Elite 4 DSI replaced under warranty due to water ingress, and it had NEVER been immersed, and ALWAYS lived in a plastic container. My current unit has a totally corroded NMEA outlet (a piece of tape I had covered it with had fallen off). Methinks you have just been lucky...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
I hear you, but I had a Lowrance Elite 4 DSI replaced under warranty due to water ingress, and it had NEVER been immersed, and ALWAYS lived in a plastic container. My current unit has a totally corroded NMEA outlet (a piece of tape I had covered it with had fallen off). Methinks you have just been lucky...

Perhaps, but I've owned a total of six depth finders and later chart plotter/depth finders over the coarse of 31 years of boating and haven't had a water related problem yet. The boat I had prior to the TI absolutely drenched my chart plotter almost every time I used it. Wettest boat I've ever had. Always look for the IPX7 (or better) rating, not all units have that. I've had better luck overall with Humminbird than Lowrance but both make excellent systems. While I've had good luck with the head units, I burn up a lot of transducers. That's been the weakest link, at least for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tonystott wrote:
I hear you, but I had a Lowrance Elite 4 DSI replaced under warranty due to water ingress, and it had NEVER been immersed...
Back when I had a Garmin GPS that took on water even if dripped upon, somebody mentioned the difference between "Guaranteed waterproof" and actually being waterproof.

Some makers, some of the time seem to choose the first and live with the replacement costs as being cheaper than actually making the device waterproof.