Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My TI has led an active life since purchased in 2012. Everything lasts fine, except for the lower "window" in the sail. I has lots of micro-cracks (which I accept as normal wear and tear), but it is becoming harder to see through.I have never used anything but soapy water on it to date...

Is there a product which will help?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here on Maui, we can bring our AI/TI sails to a local sail-maker and for about $100us they replace all the clear parts of the sail with new. We do have a bit of windsurfers here. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mine is a 2012 and I have the same issue. In fact, today I spent reinforcing those cracks with sail tape. Lots of sail tape. I'm glad to know that sail makers can change out the clear mylar because the battons are riveted in to the mylar. I was planning on running this by out sail maker here in Houston later this year. Feeling more optimistic about what can be done now. It's looking like 4-5 years must be the life of these sails before repairs or replacement.

Most of the cracks are at the foot where I occasionally pull at the sail when unfurling. Got to stop that habit.

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Bob, I had assumed the whole sail needed replacing. Phew. Greg, I bet your sail looks like this! I can't complain, as it needed a lot of fun hours on the water to get that way :) :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks just like that. I have have used sail cleaners that i purchased from a sail maker. No real improvement. Anything harsher and I suspect it would increase the cracking over time. I wonder if we could have been applying some sort of UV protection to extend the life of the mylar.

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This website says you can use 303 Aerospace protectant on Monofilm :
http://www.sailrite.com/303-UV-Protectant-16oz
They say :
"303 UV Aerospace Protectant 16oz provides UV protection for vinyl, rubber, plastic, leather, and fiberglass to keep your boat looking "like new" year after year. 303 Aerospace Protectant reduces fading and the non-oily, anti-static finish repels dust, dirt, and staining. Treated vinyl stays clean longer and cleans up easier! 303 Protectant also restores faded color in gel coats and Dacron sails.

303 UV Protectant will protect and extend the life of vinyl, rubber, plastic, fiberglass, Dacron, monofilm, finished leather, webbing, clear vinyl windows, inflatables, and zipper teeth. Also works great on vinyl siding. Do not use on acrylics. Unlike many products, 303 Aerospace Protectant does not contain silicone, oils, waxes, glycerin or petroleum distillates. "

I contacted the manufacturer to verify this and will update this if and when I hear from them.

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I wonder if Vinyl window cleaner, like something from Home Depot would do the trick.

It is a cleaner with silicone protectant, e.g.:

ZEP 32 fl. oz. Vinyl Window Cleaner with silicone protectant helps clean and protect vinyl, plastic, tinted windows and mirrors. Spray on and polish with a clean soft cloth.
Good for cleaning vinyl, plastic, glass and mirrors
Contains silicone to clean and protect surfaces
32 fl. oz. spray bottle
Polish with a soft dry cloth.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

303 protectant has been around for years and is generally considered effective on multiple materials. Here is a quart bottle for $19.76 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/303-30306-Protectant-Trigger-Sprayer/dp/B000XBCURW/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1470064657&sr=1-1&keywords=303+protectant It has a 4.5 star rating out of 5 stars by 1577 reviewers. Impressive. I suggest the quart bottle because you probably should put it on the exposed surfaces of your AI/TI, as well as your sail.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

303 or Hobie's product works great to preserve the sail. We put it on up to 4 times a year here in Hawaii. Once a year should be enough for seasonal sailing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks like 303 is the go. Thanks folks, getting some today.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The response I received from Gold Eagle who I am assuming are only the distributors of 303 Aerospace Protectant.
My question:
Can 303 Aerospace Protectant be used on Polyester film that is used as a clear section or window on sailboat/sailboard sails
Answer:
Melissa Taylor
Hello, While 303® Aerospace Protectant can be used on polyester to protect against UV, we do not normally recommend it as it would negate the polyester the ability to “breathe” and may affect its water repellency. Please contact us at [email protected] if you have any questions.

Which reminds me of what an old Machinist friend once said:
" Don't go to the True Value Hardware store and ask the teenage girl that works there if they have a bottoming tap and expect her to know what you are talking about" :roll: :roll: :roll:

Chris