Return to Hobie.com

Hobie Forums

It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Defy wrote:
Wow, thanks guys for the great discussion.

I have been eyeing the evolve for 3 years now and since i just moved back to the east coast and the ocean (Nebraska lakes...errr ponds did not work the mirage drive let alone require a motor). Now on the ocean I can justify it and a TI.

So here is my use case and i think an electric motor is the way to go. I live off the Chesapeake Bay , back river branch to be exact and if you look at it on a map its right in a spot that is not very sheltered from the Atlantic. Next i am about 3 miles from a sand bar that is the closest place to beach and let the kids play. Most of the time will be just leisurely putzing around with the kids on the tramps.

Probably can get away without one but peace of mind is worth 2k with kids.

So the real question is has anyone fit the 403 to the drive well? I think i want to have both options. I have a PA 17T that i would put it in the unused drive-well and then the TI it will be mixed use in a drive well and off a railblaza mount that will have my powerpole.

Why make things complicated for yourself? Since you want to use the motor in the drive well in both boats you should simply get the Evolve rather than the 403. It would be quite difficult to use the 403 in a drive well since you would somehow need to find a way to attach it. Anything can be done but you would really be going out of your way when the Evolve is already perfectly designed to fit into a Hobie drive well.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:38 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Mixed use on the TI. On longer adventures I would like both drivewells open and have my wife help. But on short kicks to the sand bar for the kiddos i will probably be pedaling solo while she takes care of the kids.

I am thinking it shouldnt be too hard to drill a hole in the drive blank or make a bracket with a rod.

Also that 700 dollar difference is another battery!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:10 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thinking about mounting something like this on the TI.

That is the back of my PA and i use if for my power pole. If i install some Hrails on the TI i should be able to do the same. Then i wouldn't have to put it in the drivewell.

Does it work better if its on the centerline of the hull? Or is that insignificant?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:56 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Defy wrote:
Thinking about mounting something like this on the TI.

That is the back of my PA and i use if for my power pole. If i install some Hrails on the TI i should be able to do the same. Then i wouldn't have to put it in the drivewell.

Does it work better if its on the centerline of the hull? Or is that insignificant?

This should be doable. The motor does not need to be centered so don't worry about that.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:56 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks, i am going to try that first before i drill holes. Really don't like drilling holes ;)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've had the Hobie Evolve for about 4 years now. However, the throttle lever was never very tight ... it was hard to feel any click or indication that you were in the neutral position. Very sloppy but I thought that was just how it was made. So on a recent trip we brought our evolve and the throttle completely lost all tension. It basically would just flop down with no friction at all.

I contemplated sending the throttle to torqueedo for repair but then thought why not try to take it apart and try to figure out what's wrong. I removed the ball mount from the underside and then used a star screwdriver to remove the little screws from the stainless housing underneath. After removing the housing and then re-installing it, the throttle was fixed with a nice consistent tension and a defined click when you hit the the neutral middle. Not sure what exactly happened to make it better but wanted to post this in case anybody has a similar problem with their throttle. Easy fix

Jim

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:51 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

CaptnChaos wrote:
I've had the Hobie Evolve for about 4 years now. However, the throttle lever was never very tight ... it was hard to feel any click or indication that you were in the neutral position. Very sloppy but I thought that was just how it was made. So on a recent trip we brought our evolve and the throttle completely lost all tension. It basically would just flop down with no friction at all.

I contemplated sending the throttle to torqueedo for repair but then thought why not try to take it apart and try to figure out what's wrong. I removed the ball mount from the underside and then used a star screwdriver to remove the little screws from the stainless housing underneath. After removing the housing and then re-installing it, the throttle was fixed with a nice consistent tension and a defined click when you hit the the neutral middle. Not sure what exactly happened to make it better but wanted to post this in case anybody has a similar problem with their throttle. Easy fix

Jim

Good to know. Mine always was and still is tight, but now I know what to do if it ever becomes loose. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:48 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Anyone know the diameter of the 403 shaft?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Defy wrote:
Anyone know the diameter of the 403 shaft?

The prop shaft is 44mm (1.75").

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How Torqeedo increases you're popularity..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56NyhGIQ7mE

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10