Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yep, you are correct: mine is also a 915. I had been looking at it and wondering how deep your battery had been in water, because it would take a lot to reach the place where the case junctures are, now I understand. That certainly explains it. Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just got a Torqeedo for my TI and am deciding if I should somehow shim to accommodate the radius of the aft deck when installing the ball mount. It looks like I could align two holes along the centerline of the boat leaving a slight gap at the outboard attachment bolts. Any experience dealing with this? Or does leaving a gap matter?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

rrcbob wrote:
Just got a Torqeedo for my TI and am deciding if I should somehow shim to accommodate the radius of the aft deck when installing the ball mount. It looks like I could align two holes along the centerline of the boat leaving a slight gap at the outboard attachment bolts. Any experience dealing with this? Or does leaving a gap matter?

Thanks.

Shimming is a good idea, I did that on mine with some rubber gasket material. It's not a requirement, but it does make for a better install.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My battery also failed. I returned it to Torqueedo and they said it was full of water. It sits inside the hull and is exposed to the small amount of water that normally collects in there. I never thought it was enough to be an issue. They did replace it under warranty.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

dpstivers wrote:
My battery also failed. I returned it to Torqueedo and they said it was full of water. It sits inside the hull and is exposed to the small amount of water that normally collects in there. I never thought it was enough to be an issue. They did replace it under warranty.

Yes, you never want to place the battery where water can pool. The battery is resistant to water from splashing, rain, etc., but if it sits in a pool of water for a length of time, water can eventually enter via the vent hole.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Note: I recently added this post to another thread. I generally don't like to crosspost but it has much relevance here:

I've created a chart for TI motor suitability within varying weather conditions. The Torqeedo 403 vs gas outboard motor section is based upon my experience with both motor types mounted on a TI. For the trolling motor, it's based upon my past experience with such motors on boats other than the TI and projected for use with the TI. This reflects my opinion only but I believe it to be quite accurate. Others may have different opinions.

The difference between the two Torqeedo ratings is that the 403/403A models use a 320 Wh battery and the 403C/403AC use a 915 Wh battery. The larger battery allows you to run the motor faster and longer for a considerably greater safety margin in bad weather. The Trolling motor battery is assumed to be a typical 12V lead/acid heavy-duty marine battery. All batteries are assumed to be near a full charge.

The gasoline engine ratings assume a nearly full tank of gas (1 liter) which typically gives an hour's worth of run time. Of course, more gasoline can be carried, but I can tell you from experience that it's difficult to refill the tank in very bad weather conditions.

The ratings are not only based upon available torque, but also the motor's ability to maintain adequate torque over the time and conditions it must typically operate, especially in potentially dangerous weather.

The ratings assume you are running without the sail. Running with the sail would improve the ratings in good weather conditions, and possibly in bad weather conditions provided you know how to sail properly in bad weather. If not, running with the sail in bad conditions could possibly make things worse.

The bad weather scenarios assume you are making a run to shore with no sail within an hour's worth of running time. If you're using the TI in areas where dangerous weather conditions can suddenly occur and you are over an hour's distance from the nearest shore, then I would consider that to be beyond the reasonable safety range of this particular boat even with a motor (although I admit to doing this myself).

The ratings are as follows:
E: Excellent, the motor will perform without problems.
G: Good, the motor will be adequate if not ideal in these conditions.
F: Fair, the motor will be performing adequately but is near or at its limits.
P: Poor, the motor may still help but it is beyond its limits and may not be able to overcome the current conditions.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi@all!

Until now i don´t use a Island.
But I use a Torqeedo Ultralight 403 with 915 wh Battery
for 3 years every day from end of october to the end of march in Cuba.
The Battery i under the front Hatch inside in the Boat.
The Kabel from the Pilon is sealed with
https://www.amazon.de/Scanstrut-DS16-P-Deck-Seal/dp/B003D4EJLQ

Inside in the Kayak the Battery is dry and no risk in the case of capsize and/or theft.

joerg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I just got an email from Torqeedo, looks like a general one sent to everyone they have records of having purchased the battery. Probably the same issue I had with mine. I've pasted the text below in case its helpful to anyone.

--------
Important safety warning for Torqeedo outboard motor batteries “Travel” and “Ultralight”

Dear Customers,

We place the highest value on the quality and safety of our products. We are therefore informing you about a possible safety risk in connection with the batteries used in our outboard motors "Travel" and "Ultralight":

Torqeedo has found some examples in which the battery housings for those motors were not water tight. In such a case, water may penetrate the battery housing. This is a particular if a battery with a water permeable housing becomes completely or partially submerged under water.

If water reaches the internal part of the battery it could cause a chemical reaction resulting in fire and/or bursting of the battery housing. Such a circumstance presents a risk of serious injury!

At no cost to you, Torqeedo will perform an inspection for the models and serial numbers listed below. If the inspection shows that the battery housing is not water tight, Torqeedo will repair the battery free of charge.

Model Serial number (S. no.) from … – to … Travel 1001… – 1752… Ultralight 1117… – 1826…

To Torqeedo Customers
Torqeedo GmbH Friedrichshafener Str. 4 a 82205 Gilching, Germany www.torqeedo.com

13. June 2019

Fig.: Position of type plate with serial number

We ask the owners of models with these serial numbers to register via the website: www.torqeedo.com/safety.

After registration, we will inform you shortly which service centre is to check your battery and, if necessary, repair it. As a responsible manufacturer, we want to ensure that affected batteries are identified and repaired.

We apologise for the inconvenience and thank you in advance for your understanding in the implementation of this safety measure.

This approach is very important to us because we are committed to providing our customers with products of the highest quality and safety.

Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us by phone 1-815-261-1277 (Monday to Friday, 09:00 am - 05:00 pm CST) or safety_inc@torqeedo.com.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Presumably Torqeedo will cover shipping costs too?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14