Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yep, you are correct: mine is also a 915. I had been looking at it and wondering how deep your battery had been in water, because it would take a lot to reach the place where the case junctures are, now I understand. That certainly explains it. Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just got a Torqeedo for my TI and am deciding if I should somehow shim to accommodate the radius of the aft deck when installing the ball mount. It looks like I could align two holes along the centerline of the boat leaving a slight gap at the outboard attachment bolts. Any experience dealing with this? Or does leaving a gap matter?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

rrcbob wrote:
Just got a Torqeedo for my TI and am deciding if I should somehow shim to accommodate the radius of the aft deck when installing the ball mount. It looks like I could align two holes along the centerline of the boat leaving a slight gap at the outboard attachment bolts. Any experience dealing with this? Or does leaving a gap matter?

Thanks.

Shimming is a good idea, I did that on mine with some rubber gasket material. It's not a requirement, but it does make for a better install.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My battery also failed. I returned it to Torqueedo and they said it was full of water. It sits inside the hull and is exposed to the small amount of water that normally collects in there. I never thought it was enough to be an issue. They did replace it under warranty.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

dpstivers wrote:
My battery also failed. I returned it to Torqueedo and they said it was full of water. It sits inside the hull and is exposed to the small amount of water that normally collects in there. I never thought it was enough to be an issue. They did replace it under warranty.

Yes, you never want to place the battery where water can pool. The battery is resistant to water from splashing, rain, etc., but if it sits in a pool of water for a length of time, water can eventually enter via the vent hole.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Note: I recently added this post to another thread. I generally don't like to crosspost but it has much relevance here:

I've created a chart for TI motor suitability within varying weather conditions. The Torqeedo 403 vs gas outboard motor section is based upon my experience with both motor types mounted on a TI. For the trolling motor, it's based upon my past experience with such motors on boats other than the TI and projected for use with the TI. This reflects my opinion only but I believe it to be quite accurate. Others may have different opinions.

The difference between the two Torqeedo ratings is that the 403/403A models use a 320 Wh battery and the 403C/403AC use a 915 Wh battery. The larger battery allows you to run the motor faster and longer for a considerably greater safety margin in bad weather. The Trolling motor battery is assumed to be a typical 12V lead/acid heavy-duty marine battery. All batteries are assumed to be near a full charge.

The gasoline engine ratings assume a nearly full tank of gas (1 liter) which typically gives an hour's worth of run time. Of course, more gasoline can be carried, but I can tell you from experience that it's difficult to refill the tank in very bad weather conditions.

The ratings are not only based upon available torque, but also the motor's ability to maintain adequate torque over the time and conditions it must typically operate, especially in potentially dangerous weather.

The ratings assume you are running without the sail. Running with the sail would improve the ratings in good weather conditions, and possibly in bad weather conditions provided you know how to sail properly in bad weather. If not, running with the sail in bad conditions could possibly make things worse.

The bad weather scenarios assume you are making a run to shore with no sail within an hour's worth of running time. If you're using the TI in areas where dangerous weather conditions can suddenly occur and you are over an hour's distance from the nearest shore, then I would consider that to be beyond the reasonable safety range of this particular boat even with a motor (although I admit to doing this myself).

The ratings are as follows:
E: Excellent, the motor will perform without problems.
G: Good, the motor will be adequate if not ideal in these conditions.
F: Fair, the motor will be performing adequately but is near or at its limits.
P: Poor, the motor may still help but it is beyond its limits and may not be able to overcome the current conditions.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi@all!

Until now i don´t use a Island.
But I use a Torqeedo Ultralight 403 with 915 wh Battery
for 3 years every day from end of october to the end of march in Cuba.
The Battery i under the front Hatch inside in the Boat.
The Kabel from the Pilon is sealed with
https://www.amazon.de/Scanstrut-DS16-P-Deck-Seal/dp/B003D4EJLQ

Inside in the Kayak the Battery is dry and no risk in the case of capsize and/or theft.

joerg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I just got an email from Torqeedo, looks like a general one sent to everyone they have records of having purchased the battery. Probably the same issue I had with mine. I've pasted the text below in case its helpful to anyone.

--------
Important safety warning for Torqeedo outboard motor batteries “Travel” and “Ultralight”

Dear Customers,

We place the highest value on the quality and safety of our products. We are therefore informing you about a possible safety risk in connection with the batteries used in our outboard motors "Travel" and "Ultralight":

Torqeedo has found some examples in which the battery housings for those motors were not water tight. In such a case, water may penetrate the battery housing. This is a particular if a battery with a water permeable housing becomes completely or partially submerged under water.

If water reaches the internal part of the battery it could cause a chemical reaction resulting in fire and/or bursting of the battery housing. Such a circumstance presents a risk of serious injury!

At no cost to you, Torqeedo will perform an inspection for the models and serial numbers listed below. If the inspection shows that the battery housing is not water tight, Torqeedo will repair the battery free of charge.

Model Serial number (S. no.) from … – to … Travel 1001… – 1752… Ultralight 1117… – 1826…

To Torqeedo Customers
Torqeedo GmbH Friedrichshafener Str. 4 a 82205 Gilching, Germany www.torqeedo.com

13. June 2019

Fig.: Position of type plate with serial number

We ask the owners of models with these serial numbers to register via the website: www.torqeedo.com/safety.

After registration, we will inform you shortly which service centre is to check your battery and, if necessary, repair it. As a responsible manufacturer, we want to ensure that affected batteries are identified and repaired.

We apologise for the inconvenience and thank you in advance for your understanding in the implementation of this safety measure.

This approach is very important to us because we are committed to providing our customers with products of the highest quality and safety.

Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us by phone 1-815-261-1277 (Monday to Friday, 09:00 am - 05:00 pm CST) or [email protected].

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Presumably Torqeedo will cover shipping costs too?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

tonystott wrote:
Presumably Torqeedo will cover shipping costs too?

I have 3 batteries that fall under their safety inspection recall. On a call they verified that they pay for all shipping cost.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Do you have a "parts list" of what you used for mounting the motor. I just purchased a 403 and am going to install similar to you. Thanks.

Marty

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 7:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't have a parts lists readily available as it's been years since I did this. The majority of the installation parts come with the Torqeedo itself. The other extra parts such as the Harken blocks and clamps can be easily found at West Marine, Austin Kayak, and from Hobie itself as spare parts for the TI. I used most of the same parts as were already on the TI. If you have any problems sourcing any part, just let me know and I'll get a part number and source for you.

As for the steering, I've found that after many years of use, you can simply set the motor to stay in its straight back position. This is far easier and the TI is steered via the rudder as usual. In the event of a total rudder failure, you can still use the 403 to steer the boat simply by attaching two lines to the 403's steering mechanism. I carry such lines in the event of a rudder failure.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I´ve applied an 1003 to my TI, but....

Trying at the river Rhein Germany, it propelled the boat to nearly 5.4kt and lasted about 40min, traveling 5km.
https://www.gps-sport.net/trainings/ebike_2492680

I´ve mounted it to the two fishingrodholders in the back.
https://flic.kr/p/2jkQd9D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Like any motor, you'll get more distance when you find the most efficient speed. More power does not directly result in an equivalent amount of more speed, in other words, you can't go twice as fast with a 3 hp motor as you could with a 1.5 hp motor.

Tone it down to around 3.5 knots and you go much further.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Awesome thread with a huge amount of info, I have finally taken the time to read the entire thing (over 3 days) as I have a mountain of question I was hoping to post & wanted to read it all first!

Thanks to pro10is and everyone else who has contributed!

I bought my second TI (finally a newer model with vantage seats!!) 6 months ago which luckily came with a Torqeedo 403 with the 532watt battery.

Some photos:

Some questions and findings:

I definitely think it would be good to have the 915watt, unfortunately its AU$1500 locally compared to AU$1000 overseas...I need to investigate if anyone is willing to ship one from US to get it for cheaper. I feel the 532 is barely enough spare capacity for me.

I like to hold off using the motor as much as possible during a days outing, and then on the return home I use it at quite high speeds, because its my emergency/backup during the day, and then at the end of the sail I don't need it anymore so I use up the power. Not the most efficient thing but it works well generally. Often I return back to the boat ramp with 30-40% capacity left. However on days where conditions were dreadful (probably shouldn't have been out in the TI), ~15-20 knot winds, chop and swell, I can easily deplete the entire battery earlier than I would like.

I got a USB adapter from Torqeedo which plugs into the battery charter input, and charges a phone :) It was about $20.

1. Does anyone know a cheaper way than the Torqeedo solar, to achieve a solar charging that can be done whilst out at sea/on expeditions, particularly for the 915watt?

2. Mine often throws error codes, right when I least need them, E03/E04 every now and then, I just tilt and untilt and seems to work again, E30 - this one annoys me, data connection error between battery & motor? E45 - battery overcurrent, I had this a lot early on but now I have discharged my battery a few times completely, and charged it again, it seems to have settled down.

3. I have the shock cord to hold the tilt-down so if I hit a hard object it won't snap it off, but it does thrust up on reverse, should I just make the cord a lot tighter?

4. I removed the prop to clean it and check it, does it need any loctite or just standard tighten the nut? Does the brass look corroded?

5. Steering using the connection to the rudder by a spring and elastic cord, works OK in light conditions but sometimes the motor spins out of control sideways in currents/swell. Is this the motor cavitation?

I'm thinking of securing it straight and not using the motor to steer and instead just relying on the rudder, but not sure how, any advice? Does it go fine having the motor secured straight and steering rudder-only?

6. The motor on the pole often twists in the water in rough conditions and ends up sideways, slightly out of the water. I know someone has drilled the tube to install threaded bolts to stop this (Photo - not mine, but my friends!:
is this recommended or any other way?

7. Any tips on how to make a fairing similar to the Yakima Windjammer, I can't find one in Australia :(
I saw someone found a cavitation plate for another torqeedo model, maybe the 503.., can that be used for this one?

8. Is it ok to WD-40 all connectors? I am getting some corosion. I am even getting corosion in the port where I plug the charger in to the battery.

9. Mine is mounted at the rear similar to pro10is, but it is hard to pull the rudder all the way up, at best I often only get it half up unless I turn the steering really tight so it misses the pole. I'm wondering if it is better mounted to the side of the boat right behind the rear seat? I feel it isn't deep enough at the rear, if I get up from the rear seat and go sit on the tramp, the motor isn't in enough water and can't work. The bit which sits on the ball I think needs tightening, I'm actually worried sometimes the whole thing is going to fall out while I am sailing because I can't tighten the nut a lot to get the shaft to grip in to that connection:

I somehow need to make the mount tighter/more secure.

10. Do i need to rinse the motor in freshwater after use?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 22  Next