Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chop78 wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for this thread. It’s been very informative. I had a 2014 TI, which I sold a couple of years ago but still had the TI bug so just picked up a 2020 a few weeks ago. While waiting for it to be delivered I also purchased at 403AC with ball mount. I decided I didn’t want the drive to add any steering so just mounted the ball on the side, just next to and behind where the rear handle grip is which I think will work well.

Anyway, what has confounded me, and if you can help me, is how do I fasten the motor so it’s fixed in the rearward position? The vertical rod just seems to rotate and I can’t for the life of me work out how to tighten it. Unfortunately the manual is quite lacking in information,

Cheers,

Chop

This is how's it's done on the 403:

There should be a similar mechanism on the 403C. I would guess here:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ah, Ok thanks. I was wondering what that spare bolt was for. Cheers.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

placeholder to move to top of active topics

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

winfield100 wrote:
placeholder to move to top of active topics

For what purpose given no new information or commentary has been added?

Curious...

Peter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

have been thinking about torqueedo for adventure island
looking at the various ways folks have mounted them but have to search a lot
a “place holder” comment brings thread to top of active subjects
i’m up in the air about a 403 hanging off the back or a 503/603 hanging off the side on one of those aluminum “transoms” that use yak attack and a few cross bars.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great guide many many thanks to OP and others. One question... looking at rudder off the rear...

If the rudder pin breaks and you cannot get to it, can you just continue on your journey using the rudder to steer? Looks from original poster's setup like the Hobie rudder would Just "hang and flap around" whilst the Torqeedo would take over?

Maybe life is not that simple?

Thanks
Julian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Redskyatnight wrote:
Great guide many many thanks to OP and others. One question... looking at rudder off the rear...

If the rudder pin breaks and you cannot get to it, can you just continue on your journey using the rudder to steer? Looks from original poster's setup like the Hobie rudder would Just "hang and flap around" whilst the Torqeedo would take over?

Maybe life is not that simple?

Thanks
Julian

If you attach the 403's steering mechanism to the rudder as I have shown in this thread, you can indeed steer the TI under motor power if its rudder becomes disabled. I've tested this and it works well enough to easily get you back to shore. It steers the boat exactly as an outboard motor on a conventional boat would.

Even if you chose not to attach the 403 to the rudder, you can still steer the TI with the 403 by simply attaching two simple lines to the 403's steering mechanism and manipulating them by hand. I've tested this out too. This also works as a backup even if the TI's rudder lines fail.

The 403 is an excellent backup in the event that the TI's rudder breaks.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Very many thanks. Just awaiting delivery of my Ti from New York to UK now. And my Torqeedo and battery is on the way as well from Europe :-)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Good evening All,

Is this solution(with mounting ball and connection with rudder) on the aft also possible withe the Ultralight 1103 AC?

Greetings from Italy
Matthias

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

matthiasbroersma wrote:
Good evening All,

Is this solution(with mounting ball and connection with rudder) on the aft also possible withe the Ultralight 1103 AC?

Greetings from Italy
Matthias

The Ultralight 1103 AC will connect to the TI's rudder, however, it does not appear to be compatible with the optional Ultralight Mounting Ball mount which is for the 403 series. Both the Ultralight 403 A and the Ultralight 403 AC can use the optional ball mount.

I'm reasonably sure that the 1103 AC can be fitted to a TI, but I'm not yet certain. I plan to try to get one to test soon. If so, I'll do a write-up on that as well.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

pro10is wrote:
matthiasbroersma wrote:
Good evening All,

Greetings from Italy
Matthias

The Ultralight 1103 AC will connect to the TI's rudder, however, it does not appear to be compatible with the optional Ultralight Mounting Ball mount which is for the 403 series. Both the Ultralight 403 A and the Ultralight 403 AC can use the optional ball mount.

I'm reasonably sure that the 1103 AC can be fitted to a TI, but I'm not yet certain. I plan to try to get one to test soon. If so, I'll do a write-up on that as well.

Good morning,
I do suspect that triple the power on the mounting ball connection with the TI might be a problem. Forces will have to be a bit more distributed.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

matthiasbroersma wrote:
Good morning,
I do suspect that triple the power on the mounting ball connection with the TI might be a problem. Forces will have to be a bit more distributed.

The original ball mount is sound, once set up properly it works great and, for the TI, it's an excellent solution because it's very easy to install and places the 403 behind the rudder where it needs to be. Can it take the extra thrust of the 3HP? It might if properly secured, but we'll probably never know because the 3HP 1103 AC is only available with the new mount.

So why did Torqeedo develop a new mount? The original ball mount has issues with trailering. Torqeedo recommends removing the motor from this mount when trailering. This is very inconvenient. I did this at first, but it quickly became a hassle. To make it trailerable, I simply pinned the shaft mounts so they could not rotate, and then bunjied the motor down so it wouldn't move during the harsh bumps encountered when trailering. This worked perfectly and I never had to remove the motor again for trailering.

I assume Torqeedo develop the new mount to be more rugged. It certainly is and for many kayaks and small boats, it's probably a better mount than the older ball style. But for the TI, which has a rounded hull in the back and a rudder, it presents a significant problem for mounting. I'm almost certain an effective solution could be designed to use this new mount on the TI, which is why I'd love to get my hands on one.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

pro10is wrote:
. . . But for the TI, which has a rounded hull in the back and a rudder, it presents a significant problem for mounting. I'm almost certain an effective solution could be designed to use this new mount on the TI, which is why I'd love to get my hands on one.

Maybe Torqeedo would be willing to give you a free or reduced-price motor and mount to experiment with, since your engineering solutions that you've shared on this site have probably already sold plenty of motors for the company, and might sell many more. Maybe try proposing this to them?

Even if Torqeedo doesn't formally recognize your value, I believe there are many current and prospective TI owners around the world who would benefit greatly from your engineering expertise regarding this problem and solution. We anxiously await your experimental results. So you can tell your wife that by getting the new motor, you'll be benefitting humanity! :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie Pilot wrote:
pro10is wrote:
. . . But for the TI, which has a rounded hull in the back and a rudder, it presents a significant problem for mounting. I'm almost certain an effective solution could be designed to use this new mount on the TI, which is why I'd love to get my hands on one.

Maybe Torqeedo would be willing to give you a free or reduced-price motor and mount to experiment with, since your engineering solutions that you've shared on this site have probably already sold plenty of motors for the company, and might sell many more. Maybe try proposing this to them?

Even if Torqeedo doesn't formally recognize your value, I believe there are many current and prospective TI owners around the world who would benefit greatly from your engineering expertise regarding this problem and solution. We anxiously await your experimental results. So you can tell your wife that by getting the new motor, you'll be benefitting humanity! :wink:

I will ask Torqeedo about this since I don't have plans to buy an 1103 AC myself. I've been very happy with my 403 and don't see a need to replace it. However, I do see a need for someone to retrofit one to a TI and then write a comprehensive report on the results. This way, other TI owners could then confidently buy one without having to risk the cost without knowing if it could actually work on the TI. I already know how I would mount it. The trick would be to make the setup easy enough so that anyone could do it without special skills.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

pro10is wrote:
I will ask Torqeedo about this since I don't have plans to buy an 1103 AC myself. I've been very happy with my 403 and don't see a need to replace it. However, I do see a need for someone to retrofit one to a TI and then write a comprehensive report on the results. This way, other TI owners could then confidently buy one without having to risk the cost without knowing if it could actually work on the TI. I already know how I would mount it. The trick would be to make the setup easy enough so that anyone could do it without special skills.

Thank you for attempting this. We all wish you luck with Torqeedo!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 22  Next