Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wings instead of Ama's
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

My AI is a behemoth on top of my sedan and RV. Ama drama.. so away with amas, and in with wings! Hobie 17-style. Made from a modified set of Aka's, using custom trampolines, and perhaps a TI sail.

I have not yet done this, but I wanted to gather opinions and pointed criticism before spending time and money.

Some of the mechanical stuff is straightforward, (helm, sheet, and Aka mods, etc...), some isn't, such as loading on the cross-beam/aka mounts, load moment, etc.... I am also super curious about boat handling problems that I may not be considering. E.g. off the wind in 20kts, going to weather in too little wind. I have sailed extremely tippy boats, (RS Aero, Laser) and over a decade of F18 racing, but perhaps I will get out there on the water with my winged AI, and wish I had appealed to the wisdom of crowds... So crowd, what is your wisdom?

Thanks,

Dan
Campbell

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You won't be able to sail it without the amas. The AI isn't a boat along the lines of the "tippy" sailboats you've sailed in the past. It's a kayak.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'd try it first just going out without the akas/amas and putting the sail up, before spending any time/effort/money constructing anything.

As mentioned, it's a kayak and not a boat, so the hull shape isn't going to respond well to much sideways force from the sail.

A mate of mine has an older Tandem Oasis with the sail kit. The sail is much, much smaller than a TI or AI sail, so I think that's an indicator of the size of sail you can get away with without akas/amas... as well as not having a more robust mast receiver setup.

But you've got nothing to lose by testing it out... find a nice safe stretch of water and report back to us!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:51 pm 
Site Admin

It will fall over just with the mast and sail up furled I think. I sailed a Hobie prototype boat years ago. Not a comfortable sail and the AI is not crawling friendly. Harder to move about.

Hobie Cat USA

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Dan P. wrote:
My AI is a behemoth on top of my sedan and RV. Ama drama.. so away with amas, and in with wings! Hobie 17-style. Made from a modified set of Aka's, using custom trampolines, and perhaps a TI sail.

I have not yet done this, but I wanted to gather opinions and pointed criticism before spending time and money.

Some of the mechanical stuff is straightforward, (helm, sheet, and Aka mods, etc...), some isn't, such as loading on the cross-beam/aka mounts, load moment, etc.... I am also super curious about boat handling problems that I may not be considering. E.g. off the wind in 20kts, going to weather in too little wind. I have sailed extremely tippy boats, (RS Aero, Laser) and over a decade of F18 racing, but perhaps I will get out there on the water with my winged AI, and wish I had appealed to the wisdom of crowds... So crowd, what is your wisdom?

Thanks,

Dan
Campbell

try standing up in the AI with the 16ft sail furled in the 16ft kayak where you don't mind falling over
I'm a very new sailor, age 72, and was questioning my sanity a mile from shore, 1 ama almost buried zipping along in 1-2ft rough waves, sail partially furled, and thankful I (probably) wouldn't capsize & drown, the winds slowly and inexorably rising and the surf/waves getting wilder and more random directions.
the ama's definately are needed