Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My rear motor (my wife) is getting old and tired ;)

I know about Torqeedo / Hobie option and I love how it drops in place of the Mirage Drive.

But I'm not keen about putting the battery in the hull. The boat is already heavy enough for me to handle pulling out through soft sand (on nice dolly) on an incline.

If I put the battery in as needed, I'll be to lazy to put it in. I want the boat to be quick and easy to setup and I'm way more likely to use it at a moments notice.

I'd really love an all in one unit, even if it had less capacity.

Is anyone in the same boat (no pun intended).

If I could just drop the whole (heavier) unit in, I'd buy one in a heart beat. Seems doable these days. If not, what's the next best thing.

P.S. I just sold my motor boat (had one since early 80's). So I'd like to venture out a little further than I have prior. It's only a 6 mile long lake, but we tend to stay on the southern half in case a storm pops up, which can happen quickly. I'd go a little further if I had motor backup. Even if it's a small one.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm not aware of an integrated unit that drops into the drive well.

Aside from the Torqeedo you mentioned, there is the Bixpy Jet, but it still has a remote battery and may be under-powered for the TI. Also watersnake and island hopper, but remote batteries as well.

For a truly integrated unit, you have 2 options I'm aware of:

An outboard motor like the Suzuki 2.5 hp with a built in gas tank - ~$800
A Torqeedo Travel series - between $1700 and $2000

Both would require you to fabricate a motor mount.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am working on having a large flexible solar panel, a battery & a transom mounted Watersnake 34lb or perhaps 44lb motor. You could change this to a small battery which fits into the hull.
You also may be able to set something like this up with no battery, so on launch, all you have to add to the TI is the motor.
Some local (Victorian, Australian) outlets sell the 18 & 24lb Watersnake motors set ups that are similar to the Hobie motor, through a well plug placed in the Mirage drive hole. I suspect that these may be a little underpowered for a TI but there are videos showing the 24lb motor pushing the boat along nicely. The bigger motors don't fit through the well hole.
Image at this URL
https://slhobie.com.au/gear/kayak-fishing-accessories/electric-motors/1150-slh-electrolite

I understand the Torqueedo is the same size as the Hobie motor & you could fit it into a well plug to do the same.
I've seen some Hobie forum threads on converting your own transom mounted motor to a mirage well version which just takes the top off a Minn Kota/watersnake, put the shaft through the well plug, fill the rest of the well plug with expanding foam, & put the top back on. Some also carefully put a bolt through the plug & shaft (missing the two wires inside).

While I would prefer a Torqueedo 403, dealers in Australia have a habit of getting exclusive import rights, and then controlling prices to finance a lifestyle I can only dream of. I understand the Watersnake is an Australian brand and much cheeper with much less kit.
Where you place the solar panel can be a bit of problem, given the limited deck space & large sail.

Apart from enjoying the mirror-like winter lakes (in-between blasts from the Southern Ocean), my aim is to extend the range of the TI, so have a 200W flexible panel. I'm in the process of bolting a post onto the rear deck just behind the mainsheet anchor with two solid stays coming forward and one back to the tip of the stern. The panel is stiffened with AL angle mounted on a large Railblazer adjustable clamp mount. I probably will also need shock chord stays to deal with the wind. The adjustable angle of the panel should allow me to capture maximum insolation and should be ok on our long thin local lakes running WSW/ ENE 70+ km between ancient sand dunes.

In a later forum entry I will include images & more detail.
Hope this helps

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I love my Bixpy Jet with mirage well attachment. Super light and fits right in the well. Remote control does reverse and 10 different speeds forward. Roughly $1,200. Its not going to be as fast as a GAS motor, but really light, battery floats (7lbs I think) Worth a look

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've been kicking around the idea of getting this torqeedo from Defender marine for my TI. Torqeedo Travel 503 CS Electric Outboard Motor - 915 Wh Battery. Total weight 28 lbs and looks to be a clearance price for $1695. Fully self contained and light enough to remove and carry before getting the boat out of the water. Would still need to build a mount.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:11 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Suzuki 2.5 hp outboard. Best option for weight, speed, range and cost.

https://youtu.be/SUyqkqqZbkU

Enjoy

Hobie TI 2016 - Offshore rig - Outboard - sold
Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold
Hobie Outback - 2008 - sold

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mswlogo wrote:

I know about Torqeedo / Hobie option and I love how it drops in place of the Mirage Drive.

But I'm not keen about putting the battery in the hull. The boat is already heavy enough for me to handle pulling out through soft sand (on nice dolly) on an incline.

If I put the battery in as needed, I'll be to lazy to put it in. I want the boat to be quick and easy to setup and I'm way more likely to use it at a moments notice.

I'd really love an all in one unit, even if it had less capacity.

Is anyone in the same boat (no pun intended).

If I could just drop the whole (heavier) unit in, I'd buy one in a heart beat. Seems doable these days. If not, what's the next best thing.

P.S. I just sold my motor boat (had one since early 80's). So I'd like to venture out a little further than I have prior. It's only a 6 mile long lake, but we tend to stay on the southern half in case a storm pops up, which can happen quickly. I'd go a little further if I had motor backup. Even if it's a small one.

I recommend a Torqeedo 403. I've been using one for four years now and it's as close to ideal as anything else I've researched or used. It's better than the Mirage Drive because it's permanently mounted to the hull and it tilts. So when you're in shallow water you can easily tilt it up to avoid damage. There are now even more improvements and options for the 403 series than when I purchased mine.

The battery simply goes in the storage area behind the rear seat, not inside the hull. It's very easy to install/remove, just like any other cargo you might carry. No issue at all. It's a lithium-ion battery and doesn't weigh enough to be of any consequence when transporting the TI.

I wouldn't recommend a Torqeedo Travel for a TI. It's much harder to mount and the slight amount of extra power will be of little use. It will also use up battery power faster. The Travel series was meant for small boats with transoms such as inflatables and dinghies. The 403 is far better suited to the TI and was designed specifically for kayaks.

There is also the option for a gasoline-powered outboard. I've also tried this on my TI. This option provides considerably more power than electric motors. If you need to go as fast as possible (5-7 mph vs 3-5 mph), or you sail in conditions where bad weather, heavy waves, and currents can cause dangerous conditions, then a gas-powered outboard is the best choice. The downside is the size, the weight, the noise, having to use gasoline, and the extra work required to come up with a suitable mount.

I've covered all of this in detail in these two posts:

Torqeedo 403 Ultralight Motor / Hobie TI Application Guide

Outboard Motor / Hobie TI Application Guide & 403 Comparison

I highly recommend reading both before making any decision.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mswlogo wrote:

I know the Torqueedo Hobie motors are expensive but they sure are well made. I've had one of the drop in torqueedo motors since around 2012 or so and it still works great. I rarely use it but I take it with me occasionally when I'm going solo long distances and it's kind of like an insurance policy against those sudden storms or the times when you're 5-10 miles away and the wind dies. I never put the battery in the hull. Actually I have two batteries that I keep in a large drybag. The batteries are waterproof so you don't even need a drybag but the bag is also a good way to keep my cables organized and out of the way. If the need arises, I pull the motor out of another dry bag I have and slip it in the mirage drive and then hook the cable to the battery and throttle. Pretty convenient and it gives me peace of mind when I'm on a long solo trek. I feel it's a nice safety feature.

My decision to buy this motor came one time when I was sailing back to camp in the Gulf of Mexico with a friend and a big storm with strong headwinds hit and I was pedaling as hard as I could but barely made any headway. My friend pulled out his torqueedo, popped it in and made it back in no time. When you're pedaling full out in conditions like that if you stop for even a minute you slip back quickly where the torqueedo is nice and consistent with forward motion to get you back safely. It was expensive but I'm glad I bought it.

Keeping it in bags makes loading your boat easier because like you said, you don't need any extra weight in the hull when you're trying to lift the TI or move it on land.

Jim

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Captn Chaos....That explains it why once on our way to Pavilion in no wind I was peddling like a lunatic on the escalator the wrong way and you passed me like I was standing still! Secret weapon.....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

bosab wrote:
Captn Chaos....That explains it why once on our way to Pavilion in no wind I was peddling like a lunatic on the escalator the wrong way and you passed me like I was standing still! Secret weapon.....

You got it Bob, whatever it takes lol. We need a rematch this fall with everyone. I had a double hernia that has prevented me from sailing in the last year and I really miss it.
Jim

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 4:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello folks,

I've recently been researching motor options for my TI this summer. I dont currently have any motor system rigged up. But I'm exploring the options. I noticed that there is very little information on the Bixpy jet. Occasionally someone may mention that they use one on a TI but mention little else. So I contacted Bixpy directly about use on a TI and they said the Bixpy can maintain a speed of 3.5mph for 75 minutes or 2-2.5mph for 4-6 hours. They also mentioned it will be less effective in choppy conditions. I am not suggesting that this is the best option as I do not own one but I just wanted to put the information out there. They also mentioned that the best mounting option for the TI is the mirage drive "pedal drive willfit" mount. Deffinately not the most powerful option but at a weight of only 10lbs with the mount that is pretty impressive and fairly cost effective.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 4:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

TheRedDevil wrote:
Hello folks,

I've recently been researching motor options for my TI this summer. I dont currently have any motor system rigged up. But I'm exploring the options. I noticed that there is very little information on the Bixpy jet. Occasionally someone may mention that they use one on a TI but mention little else. So I contacted Bixpy directly about use on a TI and they said the Bixpy can maintain a speed of 3.5mph for 75 minutes or 2-2.5mph for 4-6 hours. They also mentioned it will be less effective in choppy conditions. I am not suggesting that this is the best option as I do not own one but I just wanted to put the information out there. They also mentioned that the best mounting option for the TI is the mirage drive "pedal drive willfit" mount. Deffinately not the most powerful option but at a weight of only 10lbs with the mount that is pretty impressive and fairly cost effective.

I've been doing a lot of research on a motor option as well, and yes not much to be found with Bixpy and TI's. It definitely more affordable than the Evolve and has the option to fit in the mirage drive well, the only concern is the power. I am not too sure if it can handle getting the TI out of sticky situations on its own. Still, it looks like a quality option...if only Bixpy would update the J1 with a newer, more powerful model, or better yet introduce a more powerful variant!

https://www.epropulsion.com
^
epropulsion makes some quality, powerful electric motors, but nothing that would specifically benefit the Islands as most options are too heavy I would assume. They do have an interesting motor called Vaquita that could be used on a SUP though...

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 9:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Still requires an external battery, but here is something to consider:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07f-Ojs2bUs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNzLB8-ghvw

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I bought a Bixpy J-2 and tried it out on my 2020 TI this weekend. I used a Garmin Fenix 6 watch to measure boat speed. It was a completely windless day with glassy water, and the sail was furled. I was the only passenger and I weigh approx 160lbs (72kg).

At top speed, it moved the boat at 3.4mph (5.5kph, 2.9 knots). I measured each of the 12 speeds:

Speed 1: 0.0 (Motor made a bad high-pitched whine, not enough power to accelerate boat at all)
Speed 2: 1.0mph (Less bad high-pitched whine, but boat started moving)
Speed 3: 1.2mph (Quiet)
Speed 4: 1.4mph (Quiet)
Speed 5: 1.6mph (Quiet)
Speed 6: 1.8mph (Low hum)
Speed 7: 2.1mph (Low hum)
Speed 8: 2.4mph (Low hum)
Speed 9: 2.7mph (Low hum)
Speed 10: 2.9mph (Low hum grows louder)
Speed 11: 3.1mph (Low hum grows louder)
Speed 12: 3.4mph (Low hum grows louder)

Bixpy says it can run at the top speed for 80 minutes, but I did not test this. At the lowest speed they say it can run for 12 hours, but as per above, the lowest speed does not appear to have enough power to move the TI.

Positives: the motor is incredibly light. Using the handles, I was able to comfortably carry both the motor and the battery with one hand. It is shocking how little it weighs (9lbs for both motor and battery). It clicks into the Mirage drive well, so no modifications to the boat are necessary. It is incredibly easy to setup and break down - there's really nothing to it, and you control it with a remote control on your wrist so you can put it in either Mirage well and control it from either seat.

Negatives: The wrist remote control is very bulky and archaic - it looks like something from 1991, not 2021. As a TI user, you probably will mainly use the top speed and you have to click the forward button 12 times to get to it. The top speed of 3.4mph is slower than the 4mph I can hold pedaling with the Mirage Drive (and the 5mph I can get to if I get angry), but if you're exhausted and/or just lazy this motor will (eventually) get you back to the dock. I'd love to try putting two Bixpy's in and seeing how fast it will go, just waiting to find someone else who has one!

Overall impression: it would be way out of its league for the ocean, but it's awesome for bays, lakes, slow-moving rivers, etc. Definitely a good thing to take with you in case the wind dies down.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I moss toy agree with Pro10is. I read through his threads and it helped a ton. I went with the torqeedo ultralight. Here are my thoughts.

Strengths
- it is lightweight
- very quiet
- enough power to move the TI
- low maintenance
- no gasoline required
- no home design mounting method needed

Dislikes
- still trying to figure out a ‘downline’ system that will keep the motor down in coastal waters, but allow for kick up if it strikes bottom. I think I am going to go with straight line (no bungee) to hold it down tight. The bottom where I sail is mud and sand so I should be able to release the line before much damage is done.
- error messages when you need the motor most. This is a BIG disadvantage of Torqeedo compared to a gas motor. In coastal waters, if you need the motor on, you need it on now, and the stupid error messages on the Torqeedo can be very frustrating.
- it is permanently mounted. Removing it is a hassle. Most of the time I don’t need a motor. The gas motor would be easier to remove.

Summary: For my purposes I would give the torqeedo a “C+” It is OK, but the items listed in my dislikes section make it a bit of a pain at the worst possible times. The gas motor would solve some of those issues, but add different pain (mounting, gas, maintenance, etc). I would not consider any option that gets mounted in the mirage drive.