Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Best Bilge Pump?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I was never inclined to go electric with the bilge. I've always carried a hand bilge. But during the Texas 200 my boat began taking in water. When I tried to open the hatch and use the hand bilge, I was taking on more water through the hatch than I could remove with the bilge. You reach a point of no return, especially in rough seas.

I was also there that day with carsautotech, although in another boat. I became a believer in the electric pump that day.

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Of course, it is well known that you CANNOT sink an Island by filling up the main hull. There is a photo around here someplace for proof, with the Isl;and under sail while both crew are submerged up to their waists. There is 300kg of "spare flotation in the amas of a TI.

Comforting to know...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

carsautotech wrote:
I have my discharge port plug with a 1/2 inch ID expand plug that I bought a Academy for $5. When I'm ready to discharge water I just remove it, and turn the manual switch on or let the auto switch which is built in the pump do its job. When done, just put it back on. I have owned 5 islands and all have leaked. I've come to a conclusion that I will be now treating further Islands as a boats and not as a kayak. All boats have bilge pumps. To me it's a peace of mind when I'm offshore fishing 10 miles into the Gulf of Mexico. I remember when I did a beach launch in 2 to 3 foot breakers. I had taken a newbie with me which was riding in the back. When we were in 3 feet of water I told him to drop in his mirage drive in . Not knowing till I was 3 miles offshore. He had wedged the mirage drive with the handle of the rudder line and punctured a pinky size hole. So before I knew it, the back person is sitting in water. What kept me from sinking it that day was my electric bilge pump that ran non stop. I jumped out and started running my hands through the bottom of the hull to check for cracks or holes. After 15 minutes of searching for the hole, sinking in 50 feet of water and the pump doing its job, I finally find it. Took the mirage drives out and started running my fingers through the mirage drive hole and there is was. I could fit my entire pink size fat finger inside. Luckly I had a bobber that was made out of foam and wedged a piece of it for to contour of the hole. When I finally got back onto the front seat of the TI, I waited for the pump to shut off and see if that was the only hole. After 5 minutes more the sound of relief, it shuts off and the Ti is now back to its normal floating level. That day we continued our excursion 5 miles offshore and caught 5 King Fish, 4 snapper and 2 Jack Cravels. Now with an extra added weight of 150 pound of fish, gear and a 3.5 hp out motor, we headed back in and made a successful beach landing. The person I was with was very grateful that the pump really made a difference. We went from a soon to be rescue mission to a successful day of fishing. Just my 2 cents, its cheaper to add a pump than to get a bill in the mail from the coast guard.

That is a good story, cars.... It certainly justifies adding an electric pump in your case. We all need to remember that we all sail in different waters to different drumers.

I have filled my hull with water, but it was full of dry bags (which always leak in time) which may have made a difference. Nevertheless, the hull sat deep enough that there was 2" of water over the middle round hatch. My wife remarked, as she sailed smartly by me, "You are sinking." I told her I knew that. During that episode, I never felt I would sink. You can read about it here. http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=180 Scroll down to Chokoloskee to Flamingo

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chekika wrote:
It is ridiculous that a Hobie Island leaks so much that people feel the need to install an electric pump. Go to your dealer and file a warranty claim or simply point out that the boat is leaking way, way too much water. Find out what the problem is! Get Hobie to fix it.

Keith

I did just that several times for my severely leaking front hatch. Hobie said it was "normal because the hatch is water resistant, not water proof" and had no fix available. This has gone on for two seasons now. Next season my 2015 TI will be out of warranty with still no fix.

I've been swamped several times in rough seas with 15-20 gallons of water inside the hull and it's quite dangerous. If I didn't bail it out I don't know what would have happened. Trying to manually bail out the boat in rough seas is very difficult and dangerous especially with the hatch open so I can definitely see the need for an automatic electric pump. This should be standard equipment on this leaky boat.

There is absolutely no excuse for a $6,500 kayak to leak so severely and I can't believe Hobie continues to do nothing to fix the problem. This is a significant safety issue and should have been addressed years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MechanicMike's excellent video provides a great DIY fix for leaking front hatches. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klD3M99OVfw&list=PLU2A_Q5pVEUqIM9HkGlTUyiCCyVyMHIP_

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Well, the good news are that Hobie agreed to pay for majority of the damage to my drives in good faith. I prefer to focus on the full half of the glass, so this is a good outcome. I already ordered parts for a bilge manual port, 500 Gph electric auto/manual pump, and to top the hobie 7Ah battery, I ordered Vmax 20Ah to run in parallel. Not going to run out of juice with those two and I can be a lot more comfortable sailing off shore.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm glad I could help. If you have any question, just let me know.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Chekika wrote:
MechanicMike's excellent video provides a great DIY fix for leaking front hatches. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klD3M99OVfw&list=PLU2A_Q5pVEUqIM9HkGlTUyiCCyVyMHIP_

Keith

This video is excellent in demonstrating why my front hatch is leaking. I must have taken on 10-20 gallons yesterday going upwind

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Why Hobie won't assign an engineer to fix this issue once and for all and then supply a kit to retrofit it is beyond me. It's one of the biggest flaws of the TI. It may be improved on future TI's but for those of us with leaking hatches it remains a potentially hazardous and definitely annoying nuisance.